PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins QB coach Garrett interviews with Cowboys

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2007, 11:08 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2741032

According to Cowboys sources, Miami Dolphins quarterbacks coach Jason Garrett was interviewing Wednesday with Dallas owner Jerry Jones to become the team's offensive coordinator.

Garrett left the Senior Bowl practice in Mobile, Ala., early Wednesday morning aboard a commercial flight to Dallas to meet with the Cowboys at their Valley Ranch team facility.

Garrett is the first coach from outside the organization known to have been interviewed directly since Bill Parcells resigned on Monday. The Cowboys are operating under a deadline imposed by the Dolphins. According to a league source, the Dolphins gave the Cowboys permission to approach Garrett but have insisted they make a decision by Thursday.

The Cowboys' plan for replacing Parcells at this point is to determine whether Garrett as offensive coordinator can call plays, develop the offensive scheme and manage the offensive coaching staff and the players -- particularly Terrell Owens. If it is determined that Garrett, who has never called plays, can handle that much responsibility, then the Cowboys are expected to pursue San Diego defensive coordinator Wade Phillips to replace Parcells. If Jones decides that Garrett is not quite ready for that role, he would be hired as offensive coordinator and then paired with Norv Turner, who can handle the overall offense.

Garrett is a former backup to Troy Aikman whom Jones believes has the potential to become the Cowboys' head coach in two to three years.

The Cowboys have declared that finding the coaches who can develop young Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo to be a point of emphasis in replacing Parcells.

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.

Adidas410s
01-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Interesting thought indeed...he could be brought in as OC with the intent of bringing in a defensive minded guy (read Philips, Singletary, Rivera) as the HC.

kaorder1999
01-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Good god Jerry...hire a Head Coach and let him hire the Coordinators. Give me a break!

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Good god Jerry...hire a Head Coach and let him hire the Coordinators. Give me a break!

Not like that...Phillips would not be concerned about hiring his offensive staff...He has said that before.

And Norv Turner thinks the world of Garrett and would have wanted him anyway.

Plus with Parcells taking his sweet time, a new HC is going to have a hard time putting a QUALITY staff together anyway.

Adidas410s
01-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Not like that...Phillips would not be concerned about hiring his offensive staff...He has said that before.

And Norv Turner thinks the world of Garrett and would have wanted him anyway.

Plus with Parcells taking his sweet time, a new HC is going to have a hard time putting a QUALITY staff together anyway.

very true...am I the only one that DOESN'T want a retread HC though??? Turner hasn't done that well (though he did inherit Dan Snyder) and Phillips did nothing in Buffalo (Drew Bledsoe???)...so why give him another shot? How often is a coach unsuccessful with his first team and then great with his second team??? :thinking:

kaorder1999
01-24-2007, 11:43 AM
im just a big believer in a head coach hiring his staff.

WildTexan
01-24-2007, 11:47 AM
hello 5-11 again soon....

when a jock counter keeps thinkin he knows 500 coaches that can coach his team, that is the result he gets....

if he goes back to bullyin the draft picks, hello 3-13 soon as well.....

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
very true...am I the only one that DOESN'T want a retread HC though??? Turner hasn't done that well (though he did inherit Dan Snyder) and Phillips did nothing in Buffalo (Drew Bledsoe???)...so why give him another shot? How often is a coach unsuccessful with his first team and then great with his second team??? :thinking:

It is not like Phillips was bad..he was 29-19 as the HC for the Bills

Adidas410s
01-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It is not like Phillips was bad..he was 29-19 as the HC for the Bills
wow...I always thought it was much worse. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong Bills coach then. Why was he fired?

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Because he would not fire the special teams coach

burnet44
01-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Jason would be a great guy
He has worked our camp for many years
does a great job with the kids and coaches
he comes from a coachimg family
his dad was/is a long time NFL asst.
Jim Garrett is a fantastic coach and good friend
any team would be lucky to have Jason
but since this makes sense
it wont happen

best of luck to Jason
no matter where he is

BuffyMars
01-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Im scurred! I HATE getting new coaches.

I DONT WANT ANOTHER CAMPOS!

If God is a Cowboys fan like I know he is (prob wearing 1 of 5 SB rings right now--he has one for each business day! Might even have one on each finger....) he will not let another Campos happen to the Cowboys!

WE CAN'T HAVE ANOTHER 5-11 SEASON EVER AGAIN!!! :mad: :foul:

burnet44
01-24-2007, 01:32 PM
with God all things are possible
with Jerry nothing is possible
except a 1B dollar new stadium

Macarthur
01-24-2007, 02:21 PM

How do you know the HC isn't. You know with BPs status, Jerry has had a plan in place for some time. I would be willing to bet anything that the guy he brings in for HC has signed off on Garrett. He's probably just moving fast before someone else grabs him for their OC.

Look, I know JJ has made some bad decisions, but I truly believe the losses in the late 90s-early00s taught Jerry a lesson. I believe he knows a good coach is essential during today's NFL parody. JJ has an ego, but his desire to win a SB is even bigger. I think his head will outweigh his ego in the long run.

kaorder1999
01-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
How do you know the HC isn't. You know with BPs status, Jerry has had a plan in place for some time. I would be willing to bet anything that the guy he brings in for HC has signed off on Garrett. He's probably just moving fast before someone else grabs him for their OC.

Look, I know JJ has made some bad decisions, but I truly believe the losses in the late 90s-early00s taught Jerry a lesson. I believe he knows a good coach is essential during today's NFL parody. JJ has an ego, but his desire to win a SB is even bigger. I think his head will outweigh his ego in the long run.

you have a good point. Maybe the new head coach is already in place but just not officially and he signed off on this and if that is the case then that is good! But if he has not signed off on this then it is stupid!

Adidas410s
01-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

Deion Sanders brought up these same points this morning on ESPN Radio. He said...Jerry's not an idiot...knowing that Parcells could decide to leave he likely started thinking about possible replacements in the middle of the season so a lot of this speculatoin over 25 different guys is far fetched...the public is just the last group to find anything out so we often think that the Cows are in a panic and JJ will screw it up.

bobcat1
01-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Deion Sanders brought up these same points this morning on ESPN Radio. He said...Jerry's not an idiot...knowing that Parcells could decide to leave he likely started thinking about possible replacements in the middle of the season so a lot of this speculatoin over 25 different guys is far fetched...the public is just the last group to find anything out so we often think that the Cows are in a panic and JJ will screw it up. Exactly, it is not like there was no contigency plans made. I would be willing to bet Jerry already knows and the coach does also. I just wonder if we are going to lose D'Anton Lynn in his senior year or will the new coach keep Anthony Lynn as running backs coach. :thinking:

JasperDog94
01-24-2007, 03:03 PM
you have a good point. Maybe the new head coach is already in place but just not officially and he signed off on this and if that is the case then that is good! But if he has not signed off on this then it is stupid! Well Jerry better at least interview a minority or he'll be in hot water the the commish.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Adidas410s
01-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Exactly, it is not like there was no contigency plans made. I would be willing to bet Jerry already knows and the coach does also. I just wonder if we are going to lose D'Anton Lynn in his senior year or will the new coach keep Anthony Lynn as running backs coach. :thinking:

COMPASSION FOR OTHERS!!! :mad:

pirate4state
01-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Well Jerry better at least interview a minority or he'll be in hot water the the commish.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Huh??

Adidas410s
01-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Huh??

You are required to interview at least one minority candidate for any HC vacancy in the NFL. It's their way of being "proactive" regarding minorities filling jobs in the NFL.

bobcat1
01-24-2007, 03:13 PM
I think one of the assistant coaches already interviewed is a minority, Todd Bowles. Base covered. :thinking:

Macarthur
01-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I think one of the assistant coaches already interviewed is a minority, Todd Bowles. Base covered. :thinking:

That is correct.

This interview with Garrett tells me that it's either going to be Wade Phillips or Norv Turner.

I would be okay with both of those.

pirate4state
01-24-2007, 03:39 PM
You are required to interview at least one minority candidate for any HC vacancy in the NFL. It's their way of being "proactive" regarding minorities filling jobs in the NFL.

:helpme: :helpme: :helpme:

I think I better just keep my mouth shut!

footballgal
01-24-2007, 04:17 PM
What I want to know why are they interviewing for OC, did our current OC go somewhere????