44INAROW
01-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Good Luck Corey :clap: :clap:

www.victoriaadvocate.com
Cuero's Scott commits to Texas State

Scott commits to Texas State
January 24, 2007 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
BY MIKE FORMAN - ADVOCATE SPORTS WRITER

It took Cuero senior Corey Scott less than two days after returning from a visit to San Marcos to decide he wanted to attend Texas State University.

Scott called Texas State head football coach Brad Wright on Tuesday morning to make a commitment to accept a scholarship to play for the Bobcats next season.

"I liked the people who were there," Scott said. "You've got to think about your education first. The people there seem like they want to take care of you."

Scott was also recruited by the University of Houston and Texas A&M-Kingsville but chose Texas State after talking with his grandmother, Ernestine Kitchen.

"She just told me to do what I wanted," said Scott, who was recruited by Wright. "It was my decision."

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound Scott played wide receiver and defensive back for the Gobblers this season. He was recruited as an athlete and could play either position at Texas State.

Scott earned honorable mention all-state honors from the Associated Press, was a first-team selection on the Advocate's all-area team and a unanimous first-team District 29-3A pick at wide receiver after catching 62 passes for 1,027 yards and 10 touchdowns. Scott also had 53 tackles and eight pass breakups as a defensive back.

"I felt good about the people who recruited him and the choice he made," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. "They've got great people there. Corey's got great character. He's 6-3 and got the speed. He plays just about every sport we have. When he gets in that situation, where he's just playing football and living in the weight room, he's going to be something special."

Scott, who is currently playing basketball and intends to run track at Cuero, will make his commitment official on Feb. 7, national signing day.

"There was a lot of pressure," Scott said. "I'm glad to get it over with. Now, I can concentrate on what I'm doing."

Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Victoria Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588 or mforman@vicad.com.

**I might also add he was on the 2005 and 2006 State Championship Track teams and is quite a good basketball player.

Old Green
01-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Congrats to Corey:clap:

Phil C
01-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Good luck!

Maroon87
01-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Aww man! He turned down the Javelinas?:( :doh:

Oh well...good luck anyway.;) :cool:

pirate4state
01-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Cool. Good Luck to him!! :thumbsup:

44INAROW
01-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Aww man! He turned down the Javelinas?:( :doh:

Oh well...good luck anyway.;) :cool:

I hear through the grapevine that someone is considering the Javelinas...... no definite facts yet......... will keep you posted though :p

Maroon87
01-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I hear through the grapevine that someone is considering the Javelinas...... no definite facts yet......... will keep you posted though :p

Good. We need playmakers...badly.

Old Green
01-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I hear through the grapevine that someone is considering the Javelinas...... no definite facts yet......... will keep you posted though :p I heard a LB is being lokked at real close. I don't want to name names just yet.:)

tigerpride_08
01-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Congrats for Scott...:clap:

Gp83
01-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Cool deal:clap:

bandera7
01-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Scott impressed me a great deal when we played him. He was all class, and got it done on the field, as I think everybody that has ever seen him play can tell you. But what I really liked about him was that he didnt take a single play off, ever.

smustangs
01-24-2007, 11:19 PM
congrats and good luck in San Marcos

GreenGobbla
01-25-2007, 03:45 AM
i tought him everything he knows when he used to live next door to me when he was younger...ok, maybe not everything he knows...