PDA

View Full Version : Question on NFL Dynasties!

PhiI C
09-01-2003, 10:05 PM
When there is talk of an NFL dynasty where do they put the teams like the 1989 San Francisco 49ers? For example even though there were several great teams of the 80s the 49ers are considered the dynasty of the 80s because they won the 1982 and 1985 and 1988 which gives them three of the ones in the 80s. My question is in what decade would the 1989 San Franciso 49ers appear in because even though they were the 1989 season team the super bowl they won was played in 1990 so would this team be in the 90s as far as dynasty is concerned or 80s? (It wouldn't make any difference if they counted it in the 90s because Dallas would still be ahead three to two). Anyway can anyone help? Maybe someone would know who to ask.
If anyone knows how maybe they could get an answer by contacting ESPN. Oh and don't forget to also ask ESPN: "WHERE'S THE CAT?" :)

sinton66
09-01-2003, 10:11 PM
That's almost an impossible question to answer. First of all, who determines when a dynasty begins or ends? Who decides if it is even a dynasty? What you're talking about here is opinions. Basically, you could ask 100 people that same question, and you could get 50-60 different answers based on people's opinions. As far as I know, there is no official entity that controls this subject.

JasperDog94
09-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Who cares? It's all about the 90's Cowboys! :D

JasperDog94
09-01-2003, 10:32 PM
The last real dynasty.

Phil C
09-02-2003, 09:21 AM
You may be right about that Jasper because the NFL has really brought on parity especially with free agents able to jump teams. In fact that is what mainly ended Dallas' dynasty in the 90s when they had to lose players like Russell Maryland and even the Giants signed one of the Cowboys free agents who was a second team offensive lineman and made him a multi-millionaire (bad move because he didn't make it big in NY). It could be that the team of the ones (If that is what they call them) will be the team that can maybe win two super bowls in the decade. I wonder how Pittsburgh would have done in the 70s if they had free agents. You can bet they would have lost a lot of top starts to free agency because they salaries would have been taken up by Bradshaw, Swan, and Harris. Mean Joe Green and a lot of them would have probably been gone after the first two. One sees the pattern the NFL started. The Packers won five championships in the 60s, the Steelers won four in the 70s. the 49ers won four in the 80s, and the Cowboys won three in the 80s. Of course one of the teams of all times has to be the 1972 Miami Dolphins because they won the championship and won every game they played. True they had a soft regular season but to have won them all is remarkable because even then on any given Sunday the weakest teams could beat the best. A great team with a perfect record that may not ever be duplicated again.

Phil C
09-02-2003, 09:22 AM
Oops sorry on the last post. The Cowboys won three in the 90s not 80s. Careless proofing on my part. :)