PDA

View Full Version : Greenville ISD to release ALL teachers....

kaorder1999
01-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Board votes to re-open all GHS teaching positions

By JANELLE STECKLEIN
Herald-Banner Staff

GREENVILLE — The Greenville Independent School District Board of Trustees voted unanimouslly to approve “opening” all instructional positions Feb. 1 as part of the Campus Intervention Team’s recommendations.

The 5-0 decision to “open” all the positions will require all current teachers to reapply for the jobs they currently hold. The decision effectively releases all current instructional personnel and allows the district to choose who will be rehired based on new critera.

The only people not required to reapply are those the district defines as “exempt staff.” Those people are part-time professionals and/or staff hired after March 13, 2007.

“No one here has been terminated or non-renewed with the action of the tonight’s of Board of Trustees,” GISD Superintendent Lloyd Graham explained to about 100 people who attended the meeting.

The district is under state sanctions since the high school has been rated “unacceptable” for the past two years. The district’s overall rating fell to “unacceptable” for the first time this past August.

As a result, the state placed sanctions on the district and required the creation of a Campus Intervention Team to bring the district and the high school to at least “acceptable.” A part of the sanctions requires that the district implement what is called a “reconstitution plan.”

“By doing this reconstitution — should the unimaginable happen (and the district or the high school is rated “unacceptable” again) — we believe this is the surest way to retain local control as we move forward,” Graham said.

If the district does not meet state requirements or does poorly again on TAKS, the TEA can issue tougher sanctions, which include, but are not limited to, stepping in and take control away from district officials or dissolving the Board of Trustees.

Graham said he does not want either to happen, so to ensure that the best teachers are put in front of the district’s students, the Campus Intervention Team has set up a new application process.

Every district employee in the future — even if they want to transfer between the district’s schools — will be required to complete an online application, which includes a test called the Gallup TeacherInsight test. The test, which designed to help identify an applicant’s teaching talent, is used by many districts across the United States and acts as a type of interview tool.

Also, teachers will have to be fully certified and highly qualified.

Those who teach non-TAKS related subjects must demonstrate proficiency through lesson-planning and classroom instruction. Those that teach TAKS subjects must demonstrate that minimal expectations have been met or demonstrate that signficant improvement can be quantified in students.

Finally, the district will consider information from the Professional Development and Appraisal Sysytem.

“It seems clear to me that it’s going to be the small things that make the difference,” Graham said.

Each applicant will interview with members of the Campus Intervention Team. On April 9, the trustees will meet to consider who will be rehired based on the recommendation of the Team.

Therefore, many employees will find out if they still work for the district on April 10, but the district has also reserved the right to wait until the spring TAKS results come back if it needs more time to make a decision.

Graham said he hopes to have everything completed by Sept. 1 — in time for the start of the new school year.

Some teachers including GHS Athletic Director Jeff Cordell asked if the district has implemented an application rubric, which would rate certain hiring criteria more heavily.

Graham said the district does not currently have a rubric in place.

Other teachers expressed concern about giving others outside the district an unfair advantage when applying because the district originally had said it was going to post the openings before current teachers could apply.

As a compromise, Graham said he would post the openings when the online applications are supposed to be up and running — on Feb.1 — so that everyone has an equal chance.

Others were concerned with the rehiring process.

Integrated Physics and Chemistry teacher Leo McDaniel asked if current employees had to wait until April 10 to hear whether or not they would be rehired.

Graham said that was when the first decision would be made.

Another concern of teachers, including Millie Edwards, was if the re-application process would be repeated again if the high school is rated “unacceptable” for a third year.

Graham said he does not think the teachers would have to go through this same process again next year, even if the district is rated “unacceptable.”

But one of the top concerns regarded pay and retirement benefits. Currently GISD pays based on the number of years a person has worked for them.

Many teachers including Vanessa Pope wondered if they would go back to square-one since they were going to have to be rehired.

“What we’re doing will not affect your pay grade,” Graham said. “What we’re doing will not affect your status with (the Texas Retirement System).”

kaorder1999
01-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Can find story here (http://www.heraldbanner.com )

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Does this also apply to the Head AD, and coaches?

kaorder1999
01-23-2007, 04:34 PM
anyone who is in a teaching setting and is paid as a teacher. That would include all coaches who are also in the classroom.

pirate4state
01-23-2007, 04:35 PM
:eek: :eek: wow.............................................

burnet44
01-23-2007, 04:35 PM
head guy was new last year
from gainsville
I'd be looking
it said instructional
dont think coaching falls under instructional
even though you teach a lot in coaching
there was a fight during their track meet last year
at the start of the 400

I'd be looking
but thats just me

luvhoops34
01-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Why is this ISD having some many problems?? I bet they need to take a look at the school board.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-23-2007, 04:37 PM
So the AD would not be on this list?

burnet44
01-23-2007, 04:39 PM
who knows
with TEA and low performing schools
anything can happen

they might fire the janitors

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Looks like the school board needs looking at?

pirate4state
01-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Don't forget about the superintendent.

kaorder1999
01-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
head guy was new last year
from gainsville
I'd be looking
it said instructional
dont think coaching falls under instructional
even though you teach a lot in coaching
there was a fight during their track meet last year
at the start of the 400

I'd be looking
but thats just me

if you are a coach you are more than likely in the classroom and you are considered instructional staff. If you are the Head Coach/Athletic Director then you are probably not in the classroom and would not be considered instructional staff.

txkmom
01-23-2007, 04:53 PM
This makes me wonder if someone administrative is using this to cover their behind or find a way to get rid of more than a few at once. I did my student teaching observations there when we lived in Wolfe City and it was not a "bad" school district, but it certainly could have been better.

pirate4state
01-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Don't forget about the superintendent.

........I'm just saying........shouldn't it start at the VERY top :D

AP Panther Fan
01-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Very interesting article and I will be curious as to how this turns out. As a parent, it seems like I primarily hear about the repercussions to the students failing the TAKS test not vice versa.

I guess the accountability for poor performance should go all the way to the top. I look at those campus report cards that compare the school at the district and state levels and needless to say, they aren't all that understandable. This kind of puts it into perspective.

VWG
01-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Greenville ISD isn't that bad off. Not a bad school district, but as tkmom said it could probably use some improving.
The main problem at any school usually begins at home.
Somebody told me once that if they had 80% of the kids pass the TAKS test in the math portion, the other 20% can be reached out to.... but they have to want to be reached out to. You can do extra tutorials, spend extra time in class with these students, but some of them are just "hall walkers". It begins at the home, if the parents care about their kids grades then the kids usually care about their grades.
Don't put all the blame on the teachers. How can you help a kid if the parents don't return phone calls? Never show up for parent / teacher conferences? Won't put the time in at home to help the kid?

lepfan
01-23-2007, 08:53 PM
If you have instructional staff not doing their job then it sounds like a good idea to ... as someone said...an opportunity to get rid several. BUT...as someone else said it begins at home, too!

To have taken it to this level means the administrative staff responsible for the school has looked deeper into the problem. IMO

I just don't see them jumping blindly into this...(their stupid if they did)...

Low performing (unacceptable) schools are at the mercy of the state...they can come in and do just this. They feel if the job isn't getting done with the instructors in place they will find someone who can get the job done. Little do they know...

I wish them all the luck...instructors, students, etc......