PDA

View Full Version : A Whole Family is Kicked Off a Plane

piratebg
01-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Toddler's temper ousts family from plane By JIM ELLIS, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 36 minutes ago

ORLANDO, Fla. - AirTran Airways on Tuesday defended its decision to remove a Massachusetts couple from a flight after their crying 3-year-old daughter refused to take her seat before takeoff.

AirTran officials said they followed Federal Aviation Administration rules that children age 2 and above must have their own seat and be wearing a seat belt upon takeoff.

"The flight was already delayed 15 minutes and in fairness to the other 112 passengers on the plane, the crew made an operational decision to remove the family," AirTran spokeswoman Judy Graham-Weaver said.

Julie and Gerry Kulesza, who were headed home to Boston on Jan. 14 from Fort Myers, said they just needed a little more time to calm their daughter, Elly.

"We weren't given an opportunity to hold her, console her or anything," Julie Kulesza said in a telephone interview Tuesday.

The Kuleszas said they told a flight attendant they had paid for their daughter's seat, but asked whether she could sit in her mother's lap. The request was denied.

She was removed because "she was climbing under the seat and hitting the parents and wouldn't get in her seat" during boarding, Graham-Weaver said.

The Orlando-based carrier reimbursed the family $595.80, the cost of the three tickets, and the Kuleszas flew home the next day.

They also were offered three roundtrip tickets anywhere the airline flies, Graham-Weaver said.

The father said his family would never fly AirTran again.

Blastoderm55
01-23-2007, 03:35 PM
This is why flight crews should carry tranquilizer darts. Fight off terrorists and annoying brats all at the same time.

Adidas410s
01-23-2007, 03:36 PM
that's generous of the airline to offer to a) refund their tickets, b) still fly them home, and c) to offer them 3 FREE r/t tickets in the future.

luvhoops34
01-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Good for the airline!

I have no compassion(sorry Phil) for parents who can't/won't control their kids in public places.

Phantom Stang
01-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
that's generous of the family to offer to a) refund their tickets, b) still fly them home, and c) to offer them 3 FREE r/t tickets in the future.
Your right Adidas, the airline was very fair about it.
Someone needs to inform those parents, that a mild swat on the behind can work wonders in such situations.;)

AP Panther Fan
01-23-2007, 03:59 PM
They better just drive next time and God help them when this 3 year old becomes a teenager....:mad:

Wonder if they had to drug her the next day.

pirate4state
01-23-2007, 04:01 PM
:clap: ROFLMAO!! Unbelievable. Just how much time do you need?? *raised eyebrow* You get to board the plane before everyone else for this reason!!!

The airline shouldn't have offered them squat!! :mad: I love how they (the parents) even have the nerve to piss & moan about how unfairly they were treated!! GMAB!!

Okay, off my soap box. :)

rangerjim
01-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Scary thing is I heard on the news the other day that California (where else) was trying to pass a law to make it illegal to spank your child. One of the reasons the world is the way it is is because many folks don't swat anymore.............

Gp83
01-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by rangerjim
Scary thing is I heard on the news the other day that California (where else) was trying to pass a law to make it illegal to spank your child. One of the reasons the world is the way it is is because many folks don't swat anymore.............
Kids must have a good beatdown now and then

burnet44
01-23-2007, 04:28 PM
sign should say

"we have the right to refuse to serve customers"

and do it

Ranger Mom
01-23-2007, 04:31 PM
When my daughter was born, she had a birthmark on her arm that required laser surgery.

We would fly to Dallas every 3 weeks and have this done, from the time she was 5 weeks old until she was 6 months old.

She was an angel on the way there, but after her laser surgery, she would cry all the way home....I'm glad they never booted me off the plane.

I was barely able to afford the plane ticket and cab ride. I don't know what I would have done if I would have had to stay overnight.

Everyone was always very understanding, of course, she was just a baby and obviously in pain. It was kinda nice, I always knew that I was gonna have that whole entire front section to myself!!:D :D

Pudlugger
01-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Your right Adidas, the airline was very fair about it.
Someone needs to inform those parents, that a mild swat on the behind can work wonders in such situations.;)

Well, in Kalifornia they are about to outlaw spanking in kids under 4 years old! This child is obviously coddled by overweening and indulgent parents. More time indeed while the out of control child runs around the aisles and holds up 112 people after a 15 minute delay in the first place! This is what you get for failing to discipline a toddler. A judicious but firm spanking was in order here but I doubt that these parents believe in spanking. Although psychologists have shown that in the long run positive reinforcement of good behavior and not reinforcing bad behavior is more effective in shaping a child's behavior in cases where avoidance conditioning is necessary to prevent bad behavior or dangerous behavior such as not running across streets, touching hot stoves etc. a mild swat on the bottom is the most effective approach. This incident clearly falls into the swat realm.

Oh, and another thing. I'm sure
AirTrans and their customers will not miss this annoying family.

Ranger Mom
01-23-2007, 04:35 PM
I guess I am a terrible mom. My kids hands was "spatted" before they were a year old.

They got swats on their diapers which eventually turned into full fledged spankings....with a BELT!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

They have yet to kill, rape or injure anyone.

I got my butt beat more times than I can remember with belts, straps, paddles and those darned willow branches.

I turned out okay!!

Or did I??:devil: :devil:

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-23-2007, 04:35 PM
hey Pud, how is everything in Lep town? When will Bellville play the Leps in Basketball?

pirate4state
01-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I got my butt beat more times than I can remember with belts, straps, paddles and those darned willow branches.

I turned out okay!!

Or did I??:devil: :devil:

:thinking: :thinking:

Same here!! Dang, I hated those tree branches swats. :weeping: Those hurt something awful especially since we were in shorts 9 months out of the year here in "south Texas". LOL! :eek:

When I got older, the spankings turned into "talks" sometimes I'd prefer the spanking to the "talk". At least, the spanking just hurt and was over with quick. That talk seemed to last F-O-R-E-V-E-R and always made sense & lingered. Darn my parents for teaching me something!! :rolleyes:

Reds fan
01-23-2007, 04:47 PM
AirTran handled this well except for offering free tickets in addition to the reimbursement. Question did family fly AirTran the next day or another carrier? Daddy said he would not fly AirTran again, so just curious;) Any airline would have handled this the same way and should.

Ranger Mom
01-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:thinking: :thinking:

Same here!! Dang, I hated those tree branches swats. :weeping: Those hurt something awful especially since we were in shorts 9 months out of the year here in "south Texas". LOL! :eek:

When I got older, the spankings turned into "talks" sometimes I'd prefer the spanking to the "talk". At least, the spanking just hurt and was over with quick. That talk seemed to last F-O-R-E-V-E-R and always made sense & lingered. Darn my parents for teaching me something!! :rolleyes:

LOL!! When the kids got older, the very worst punishmet of all was the dreaded "YOU'RE GROUNDED"!!

They would beg for a spanking!!:D

BTEXDAD
01-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by rangerjim

Some people want to be able to call the law anytime they see someone swat their kid, but what if like in this case the kid apparently started hitting the parents during temper tantrum.

I say u take the kid to jail. That will get the message across without having to use corporal punishment on kid. Everybody should be happy. :D