PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Fisher NOT coming to Dallas

crzyjournalist03
01-23-2007, 12:55 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Take Jeff Fisher's name out of the speculation on who might replace Bill Parcells with the Dallas Cowboys.

The Tennessee Titans have Fisher under contract for 2007 after owner Bud Adams picked up an option on his coach, and the team is working on a long-term extension.

"We haven't been contacted by Dallas," chief executive officer Steve Underwood said in a statement Tuesday. "In the event that we were, there are no circumstances that we would grant permission to the Cowboys to speak with Coach Fisher."

With the resignation of Bill Cowher from Pittsburgh on Jan. 5, Fisher is the NFL's longest tenured coach with one team. He has spent 12 full seasons with the Titans, a tenure that started with six games in 1994 coaching the then-Houston Oilers with a 110-97 record.

Fisher also helped guide quarterback Vince Young to AP Offensive Rookie of the Year honors and an 8-8 record after an 0-5 start. Fisher is taking part in interviews for the team's next general manager who will replace Floyd Reese, who resigned on Jan. 5.

Even if Adams might not mind letting Fisher leave, Dallas would be the last team he would let steal away one of his coaches. Adams still lives in Houston where his Oilers fought to attract attention away from the Cowboys in Texas before relocating to Tennessee in 1997.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Phil C
01-23-2007, 12:59 PM
I could have told you that. No way he is going to leave a team that has Vince Young on it for any kind of money!

crzyjournalist03
01-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I could have told you that. No way he is going to leave a team that has Vince Young on it for any kind of money!

I agree...I didn't think he would come here, but I thought it was interesting that the team said there was no way they would even let him talk to us!

I've always believed that every man has his price...much like the Raiders with Jon Gruden or the Jets with Herm Edwards.

Macarthur
01-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

I'd take Tony Romo over VY.

There's more to the story here than what you might think. Fisher and Jones were on the competition committee together and word is they have built a healthy respect for one another. Also, Fisher and Bud Adams are not the best of buddies. It has been rumored for some time that Fisher would not remain and was not happy that the team picked up his option for 07.

Something else to keep in mind, Tenn is looking for a GM right now. Depending on who comes in, there could be some friction because Fisher has enough cred to demand some power. A new GM is probably not going to want to give as much power to a HC as Fisher would like. If things get testy, I would not be surprised if Fisher goes to Adams and says, I will not sign an extension and I walk after 07 so you might as well let me go now and at least get some compensation for me.

The Fisher thing is not over.