PDA

View Full Version : Owens

burnet44
01-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Owens assured he will be back

After a rocky season together, coach exits while T.O. remains

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

It's unknown whether the tense relationship between Terrell Owens and Bill Parcells could have survived another season.

It won't be an issue after Parcells announced his retirement Monday after four seasons as head coach of the Cowboys. Before Parcells retired, Owens said he received assurances from owner/general manager Jerry Jones that Owens would be back next season.

"Everybody can speculate it would be him or me," Owens said of Parcells. "At this point, I don't know, other than that it's a decision he made and I'm looking forward to the next coach."

Sources said Parcells did not want the receiver to return for 2007, and when rumors circulated that an Owens exit could become a reality, Owens reached out to Jones days before the NFC wild-card game against Seattle.

Owens said Jones assured the receiver he would play with the Cowboys in 2007. Jones repeated his desire to keep Owens to the media after the Cowboys' loss to Seattle and on his weekly radio show.

"I said yes, OK," Jones said then about Owens' return. "I don't know how I can answer you any clearer."

Owens is due a $3 million roster bonus in June, and Jones said he expects to pay it.

While Owens and Parcells had a poor relationship, Owens took the high road when reached Monday.

"He was a great coach," Owens said. "A coach of his stature will be greatly missed. Jerry [Jones] gave him the option when things settled down in his head to do what he wanted to do. It was very admirable of Jerry, especially of a coach of his stature."

Owens could get a fresh start with a new coach. He said he would prefer the West Coast offense, something he thrived in during his seasons in San Francisco and Philadelphia.

In Parcells' two-tight end offensive set, which at times appeared conservative, Owens complained about not getting the ball enough and having to run meaningless routes.

Owens was also upset that the coach didn't reach out to him when he suffered an accidental overdose last September. Owens said they didn't have a relationship.

Parcells didn't refer to Owens by name in news conferences early in the season, calling him "the player."

And according to multiple sources, in coaching meetings, Parcells called Owens "Your Highness."

Owens acknowledged he didn't have his best season. He led the team in catches (85), receiving yards (1,180) and touchdown receptions (13), yet struggled at times. He finished with a career-high 18 drops.

He also underwent surgery to repair a broken right hand, and two weeks ago had another surgery to repair a tendon at the tip of his right ring finger. Another surgery is due in seven weeks on the same finger.

"I feel like this year, I was underutilized," Owens said. "Even though I didn't play up to my standards, I admit that for obvious reasons. But I feel like if I can be put in a better situation, I can help the team win."

Adidas410s
01-23-2007, 10:33 AM
man...that article doesn't give all of Owens' quotes on Monday about Parcells. That makes him sound like a great team player who had a lot of respect for Parcells...:rolleyes:

shankbear
01-23-2007, 10:35 AM
PALEEEEEEEEEESE. T.O. should take a hike wit da TUNA.

Emerson1
01-23-2007, 11:00 PM
TO was tied for 4th in 1st down catches on 3rd down - 23
9th in 1st down catches on 3rd and long (>7yds) - 8 (leader had 11)
Tied for 5th in catches > 25 yds - 10 (leader had 14)
5th in YAC among WRs - 400 yards
6th in first downs - 62
1st in TDs - 13
2nd in receptions inside the opponents 20 - 14

Adidas410s
01-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
TO was tied for 4th in 1st down catches on 3rd down - 23
9th in 1st down catches on 3rd and long (>7yds) - 8 (leader had 11)
Tied for 5th in catches > 25 yds - 10 (leader had 14)
5th in YAC among WRs - 400 yards
6th in first downs - 62
1st in TDs - 13
2nd in receptions inside the opponents 20 - 14

Owens had one of the best statistical seasons that made very little impact. His biggest stat (leading the lead in drops) had a much bigger effect on the team than any of the stats that you mentioned.

BuffyMars
01-23-2007, 11:07 PM
I am all for Owens returning. I proudly wear his jersey...except when I drop it.

piratebg
01-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
I am all for Owens returning. I proudly wear his jersey...except when I drop it.

LOL. You are too cute. ;) :p

Txbroadcaster
01-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
LOL. You are too cute. ;) :p

PLEASE dont encourage her