PDA

View Full Version : In Cold Blood

CalallenWildcat
01-22-2007, 09:42 PM
by Truman Capote

We are reading it right now in English and it's a pretty good book...

Lepfan, how close are you to Holcomb?

lepfan
01-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
by Truman Capote

We are reading it right now in English and it's a pretty good book...

Lepfan, how close are you to Holcomb? 30 miles give or take a few.

Is that the story about the farmers who were murdered???

CalallenWildcat
01-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
30 miles give or take a few.

Is that the story about the farmers who were murdered???

Yeah...we just started reading it but normally I'm not hooked on a book from the beginning like this one...this is really good!

Capote has a way with words.

carter08
01-22-2007, 09:48 PM
I've thought about reading that.

My English teacher last year was a big Capote fan

lepfan
01-22-2007, 09:49 PM
That was like in the late 50's early 60's right? I watched the movie on that. Locals still talk about that....

They are the Holcomb Longhorns...they have the same colors and longhorn symbol at Texas

CalallenWildcat
01-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
That was like in the late 50's early 60's right? I watched the movie on that. Locals still talk about that....

Yeah, around that time period...I can't give you a definite time as I haven't researched the book that far.

lepfan
01-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Yeah, around that time period...I can't give you a definite time as I haven't researched the book that far.

I think it was '59.....If I can find a Holcomb t-shirt in my $$$ range I will send you one....

mistanice
01-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Went over book a little and watched the movie "capote" last semester. The movie was ok, im assuming the book is better as usually is the case. Harper Lee, who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird actually went along with Capote as he researched/investigated the murder. Some even say that Truman authored parts of her book.

CalallenWildcat
01-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by mistanice
Went over book a little and watched the movie "capote" last semester. The movie was ok, im assuming the book is better as usually is the case. Harper Lee, who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird actually went along with Capote as he researched/investigated the murder. Some even say that Truman authored parts of her book.

I've seen bits of the movie; it's different from the book: whereas the movie follows Capote as he researches the murder, his book lays it out in a narrative format similar to a novel.

Interesting fact about Capote's relationship with Harper Lee: the character Charles Baker "Dill" Harris III in To Kill a Mockingbird is based off of Capote: Just as Scout and Dill are childhood friends and neighbors, Capote and Lee were friends and neighbors growing up.

Despite the fact that Capote and Lee have strickingly similar styles, I'll dispute the claim that Capote authored any part of Lee's book...though I will not deny that he may have given her advice on some segments of the book. She probably returned the favor when he wrote In Cold Blood.

In case you are wondering, I loved To Kill a Mockingbird, and I am loving In Cold Blood.