PDA

View Full Version : A question about racial names

Txbroadcaster
01-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Seems everyone now is a something-American ex..NAtive American...Mexican-American..African-American

All because of decent...so I ask

If a white person is from Africa..can they claim to be Afircan American?

Just wondering

Emerson1
01-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Yes

carter08
01-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Burden of proof is on them though

BILLYFRED0000
01-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Seems everyone now is a something-American ex..NAtive American...Mexican-American..African-American

Just wondering

What I always wanted to no was does this mean you are half
from africa and half from america? Because you are not an american obviously.

Adidas410s
01-22-2007, 06:04 PM

Just wondering

just a thought...but typically a white person from anywhere tends to refer to themselves by the country that they are from. I'm English, French, American, Italian, Australian, South African, etc. Continent-based titles are uncommon.

carter08
01-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
What I always wanted to no was does this mean you are half
from africa and half from america? Because you are not an american obviously.

No
Look at South Africa
There are many whites there who have been there for so many centuries that they can claim to be african

injuredinmelee
01-22-2007, 06:06 PM
why would you want to be from both places. Why not just america or african?

JasperDog94
01-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
why would you want to be from both places. Why not just america or african? because we're too politically correct here in the US.:(

Txbroadcaster
01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
because we're too politically correct here in the US.:(

Exactly...I just see a way for some to turn the tables for a bit of sarcastic irony

injuredinmelee
01-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Dont monikers further seperate us from the people we want to treat us as equals?

Gobbla2001
01-22-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't like those labels myself...

But Native-Americans I can understand...

pirate4state
01-22-2007, 06:33 PM
because we're too politically correct here in the US.:(

WORD! :cool:

I hate labels.

piratebg
01-22-2007, 06:36 PM
I've always just considered myself American, unless I'm applying for financial aid or some kind of grant. :)

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-22-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm just a Texan.

Gobbla2001
01-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I'm just a Texan.

Ditto... but we'll soon be Cali Yorkians... this place is turning into Cali and NY...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-22-2007, 06:55 PM

Just wondering

Yeah, which is why I simply call black people what they are, black...

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

Why does any of it matter, we're all people. We live in a world that is truly connected globally. We are all humans. Screw black,white, red, brown, peach, purple or anything.

DDBooger
01-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Why does any of it matter, we're all people. We live in a world that is truly connected globally. We are all humans. Screw black,white, red, brown, peach, purple or anything. im green:D lol
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/FCarrejo/booger6.jpg

sinton66
01-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Ditto... but we'll soon be Cali Yorkians... this place is turning into Cali and NY...

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!:eek:

olddawggreen
01-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm a German, English, Scottish, Irish American and darned proud of it:D

olddawggreen
01-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by carter08
No
Look at South Africa
There are many whites there who have been there for so many centuries that they can claim to be african

Most of the South Africans that I know refer to themselves as South Africans, not African Americans.

Bullaholic
01-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Actually, I think we are all Garden-of-Eden-ers. :D

(Please no evolution vs creationism arguments---I was just trying to point out that we all probably came from the same origins whether you personally believe we evolved or were divinely created).

Bandera YaYa
01-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if we thought of different skin colors, just like we think of different hair colors or eye colors.....so if there were two white skinned people, one black skinned person and one yellow skinned person in a row, we would look at them and simply think,.."there sits three dark haired people and one blonde"....wouldn't that really, really be awesome! Think about it. :)

Gobbla2001
01-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Wouldn't it be nice if we thought of different skin colors, just like we think of different hair colors or eye colors.....so if there were two white skinned people, one black skinned person and one yellow skinned person in a row, we would look at them and simply think,.."there sits three dark haired people and one blonde"....wouldn't that really, really be awesome! Think about it. :)

Yah, but you can joke about blondes being ditzy or something (sterotypes) and all will have a laugh... you can't joke about a SKIN color and get away with it...

folks in this country can't take jokes...

How's my favorite lady from Bandera?

Gobbla2001
01-22-2007, 09:31 PM
you can't joke about a SKIN color and get away with it...

actually, at work we all joke about skin color to each other, we have a sense of humor there... I can't repeat on here any of the stuff that we say about each other's races out there to each other's faces... I'd get ROMMED... but we laugh our asses off...

carter08
01-22-2007, 09:31 PM

White people are NOT white
Black people are NOT black

There is no way to define a persons color, because no one has the same shade of skin

Gobbla2001
01-22-2007, 09:33 PM
White people are NOT white
Black people are NOT black

There is no way to define a persons color, because no one has the same shade of skin

Okay, smarty... why don't we start saying "that in the white area of skin color person makes too much money"???

carter08
01-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Okay, smarty... why don't we start saying "that in the white area of skin color person makes too much money"???

Caucasian
African- American
Hispanic

Done

Bullaholic
01-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Caucasian
African- American
Hispanic

Done

I think by today's definition we refer to races to denote an individual's ethnicity.

Gobbla2001
Caucasian
African- American
Hispanic

Done

so caucasion means white

African-American means black

Hispanic means brown

caucasion - 3 syllables... takes too much breath to say, let's just say white

African-American - 6 syllables (seven if you say the "dash" in between)... takes too much breath to say, let's just say black

Hispanic - 3 syllables... takes too much breath to say, let's just say brown...

I'm just kidding BTW...

But while we're at it:

#1 Don't know any African-Americans who have ever been to Africa... wish I knew Dave Chappelle though...

#2 Most (not all) "Hispanic" people I know say "I'm not Hispanic, I'm Mexican!"

JR2004
I'm just a Texan.

Best country to be from!

Gobbla2001
01-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Used to be anyway...

Any state where an illegal alien drug smuggler is given amnesty to testify against two AMERICAN BORDER GUARDS and have them sent to prison for 11 and 12 years isn't too great to me anymore...

I want Texas back...

Bullaholic
01-22-2007, 09:44 PM
so caucasion means white

Hispanic means brown

African-American - 6 syllables (seven if you say the "dash" in between)... takes too much breath to say, let's just say black

I'm just kidding BTW...

But while we're at it:

#1 Don't know any African-Americans who have ever been to Africa... wish I knew Dave Chappelle though...

#2 Most (not all) "Hispanic" people I know say "I'm not Hispanic, I'm Mexican!"

So a sun-tanned Caucasian would be a Caucasian in the winter and a Hispanic in the summer? :D

Gobbla2001
01-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
So a sun-tanned Caucasian would be a Caucasian in the winter and a Hispanic in the summer? :D

NOOOO

Did you read?

He'd be a Mexican.................. - American

:p

SpreadtheRed
01-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Native American = Indian
Mexican American = Mexican
African American = Black or another word (which they call themselves)
Caucasian = White or Gringo

Why does it have to be so technical these days?

pirate4state
01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm more of a tan color than brown. :D

Gobbla2001
01-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by SpreadtheRed
Native American = Indian

Because races suck up to other races to get races on the sides of their races... or their businesses...

I say let's all make fun of Aliens...

DU_stud04
01-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Caucasian
African- American
Hispanic

Done what small world you live in. there are many, many more than just those three. expand your horizon.

DU_stud04
01-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by SpreadtheRed
Native American = Indian

native americans aren't indian.....or they would be native indians.....:rolleyes:

carter08
01-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
what small world you live in. there are many, many more than just those three. expand your horizon.

i know
i'm lazy

Hupernikomen
01-22-2007, 10:28 PM
I always thought the term african- american was meant to show heritage like english, irish, jamican etc. I suppose they use that term because sadly most blacks aren't entirely sure of what part of africa their descendants were from.

JasperDog94
01-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Used to be anyway...

Any state where an illegal alien drug smuggler is given amnesty to testify against two AMERICAN BORDER GUARDS and have them sent to prison for 11 and 12 years isn't too great to me anymore...

I want Texas back... :mad: :mad: :mad: Don't get me started on this.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Gobbla2001
01-23-2007, 08:46 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: Don't get me started on this.:mad: :mad: :mad:

hey, let's get a van... we'll call it the mystery machine... then let's grow our hair, take some guitars (if you don't how to play, just bring an empty coffee can and a wooden spoon for drums) and we'll sit Indian-Style (or is it Native-American style?) outside of the White House and sing in protest...

pancho villa
01-23-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm a Lesbian American!

JasperDog94
01-23-2007, 08:57 AM
so caucasion means white

Hispanic means brown

I'm just kidding BTW...

But while we're at it:

#2 Most (not all) "Hispanic" people I know say "I'm not Hispanic, I'm Mexican!" I think Theodore Roosevelt said it best.

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities."

Gobbla2001
01-23-2007, 08:59 AM
I think Theodore Roosevelt said it best.

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities."

That's a good one...

but I think I said it best...

"What in the hell is going on here?"

Phil C
01-23-2007, 09:00 AM
BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Gobbla2001
01-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Hippie protest Gobbla:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5694/dfish3fun7rq.jpg

JasperDog94
01-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: SHOW SOME COMPASSION FOR THOSE OF US THAT DON'T WANT TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Gobbla2001
01-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Show some compassion for guards Ramos and Compean... they're cooler 'n hell...

JasperDog94
01-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Show some compassion for guards Ramos and Compean... they're cooler 'n hell... This whole situation really stinks.

Gobbla2001
01-23-2007, 09:22 AM
This whole situation really stinks.

To be honest, I believe a suspension or something would have been good...

They are required to report when firearms are discharged but they didn't because they believe they did not injure the runaway...

so yah, some kind of fine or suspension was in order...

But offering the drug-smuggler amnesty if he would testify against the two? That is complete bs...

Fotbol
01-23-2007, 09:23 AM

Just wondering
Only if they're of ShaKa-Zulu Decent;)

Fotbol
01-23-2007, 09:25 AM
So a sun-tanned Caucasian would be a Caucasian in the winter and a Hispanic in the summer? :D Nope, he would be sun-burned in the summer and Pale in the Winter!

Fotbol
01-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Yeah, which is why I simply call black people what they are, black... Hey! I resemble that remark!:cool:

Fotbol
01-23-2007, 09:35 AM
How about this, If we cut each and everyone that represents a nationality and they bleed Red, we call them Human Beings. If we cut someone and the Bleed any other color we shoot the hell out of them all together and look for more Aliens. Bottom lines Folks, it's just like my Captain said on the USS La'Salle AGF-3, If the ship was hit by a Mine, and the ship was on fire, while sinking, you were trapped down below, and all of a sudden a hand reaches down thru the fire and smoke to rescue you, are you going to take time to look at what color the hand is before you grab it?
I seriously need each and every one of you who responded to this post to ask yourself the question above.

Gobbla2001
01-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Fotbol
How about this, If we cut each and everyone that represents a nationality and they bleed Red, we call them Human Beings. If we cut someone and the Bleed any other color we shoot the hell out of them all together and look for more Aliens. Bottom lines Folks, it's just like my Captain said on the USS La'Salle AGF-3, If the ship was hit by a Mine, and the ship was on fire, while sinking, you were trapped down below, and all of a sudden a hand reaches down thru the fire and smoke to rescue you, are you going to take time to look at what color the hand is before you grab it?
I seriously need each and every one of you who responded to this post to ask yourself the question above.

I agree... great post...

DU_stud04
01-23-2007, 09:36 AM
I seriously need each and every one of you who responded to this post to ask yourself the question above. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fotbol
01-23-2007, 09:45 AM
so caucasion means white

Hispanic means brown

I'm just kidding BTW...

But while we're at it:

#2 Most (not all) "Hispanic" people I know say "I'm not Hispanic, I'm Mexican!" Well you know Cunbed10 and I have been to Djbouti(SP?) Africa

pirate4state
01-23-2007, 09:53 AM

Great post!! :clap:

Bullaholic
01-23-2007, 10:49 AM

I agree also. Good post, Fotbol. I still stand by my opinion that any public discussion of race always seems to end in controversy sooner or later. I am glad that this thread has remained civil.

JasperDog94
01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I seriously need each and every one of you who responded to this post to ask yourself the question above. Nice.

At that point, I don't care if the hand only had three fingers and two thumbs, I'm grabbin' it!:)

Blastoderm55
01-23-2007, 11:41 AM

Hispanic means brown

That's funny, because I have a lighter complexion than many white people. Guess by the same respect, there's Black folks who are lighter than some Hispanics. :p

Personally, I'm just an American. Well, first a Texan, then an Ameican. I was born here. My parents were born here. Their parents were born here. Their parents were born here. I think I have to go back like five generations to find relatives who were natively Mexican, likely when the Texas/Mexico border was much further north. Its kind of scary to think of how indigenous my family has been to the coastal bend area, and Mathis in particular. The families of both my mother and father have been in this area for the past three generations. Weird to think that we're still compelled to stay close.

My point?

Stop labeling yourself as Nationality-American unless you or at least your parents were born in said nation.

Gobbla2001
01-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
That's funny, because I have a lighter complexion than many white people. Guess by the same respect, there's Black folks who are lighter than some Hispanics. :p

Personally, I'm just an American. Well, first a Texan, then an Ameican. I was born here. My parents were born here. Their parents were born here. Their parents were born here. I think I have to go back like five generations to find relatives who were natively Mexican, likely when the Texas/Mexico border was much further north. Its kind of scary to think of how indigenous my family has been to the coastal bend area, and Mathis in particular. The families of both my mother and father have been in this area for the past three generations. Weird to think that we're still compelled to stay close.

My point?

Stop labeling yourself as Nationality-American unless you or at least your parents were born in said nation.

My mother her father, her mother, their mothers and fathers were born in Texas

My dad was born in North Dakota, his mother and father were born somewhere else in the Northeast, and their parents were from Germany...

But I'm Texan and so is Meatloaf :D

Phil C
01-23-2007, 12:03 PM

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!

THE ALIENS MIGHT BE FRIENDLY!

DON'T PUT THE CART BEFORE THE HORSE!!

kaorder1999
01-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Where do whites get the name Caucasions? Not all whites originate from the Caucasus area of Russia....

pirate4state
01-23-2007, 12:23 PM
I agree also. Good post, Fotbol. I still stand by my opinion that any public discussion of race always seems to end in controversy sooner or later. I am glad that this thread has remained civil.

Amen Bull, Amen!!! I'd hate to have people pissed off at me again for closing a thread. :devil:

Thanks to all who have "not gone off the deep edge" with this thread. :thumbsup: Keep up the great posting!! :clap:

Fotbol
01-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!

THE ALIENS MIGHT BE FRIENDLY!

DON'T PUT THE CART BEFORE THE HORSE!!

Phil You are wild for that comment.

mistanice
01-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55

My point?

Well well well, I guess since my parents were born in Mexico I can call myself Mexican-American! or 1st Gen. American!?!?

Blastoderm55
01-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Well well well, I guess since my parents were born in Mexico I can call myself Mexican-American! or 1st Gen. American!?!?

I think either would be sufficient.