Brookshire 2-5
Columbus 1-6

Tuesday's Games
Sealy @ Columbia
Brookshire @ Sweeny
Needville @ Stafford
Columbus @ Wharton

picks & analysis coming soon...

I bet Dub-C would be 7-0 if they still had Sugar Shane in the backcourt.

neck_06
01-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I bet Dub-C would be 7-0 if they still had Sugar Shane in the backcourt.

lol....no comment.

anyone have any thoughts on the district or any of the games?

maestro
01-22-2007, 11:14 PM
it will be really interesting to see who shows up and gets on a solid run the second round..

columbia.....needville....and sweeny all have wharton coming to their places.

but they continue to knock each other off.

someone will need to get on a winning streak.

who???

we're waiting for neck 06 and his projections..

neck_06
01-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by maestro
it will be really interesting to see who shows up and gets on a solid run the second round..

columbia.....needville....and sweeny all have wharton coming to their places.

but they continue to knock each other off.

someone will need to get on a winning streak.

who???

we're waiting for neck 06 and his projections..

you're right, its going to be an intresting few weeks.

my picks should be up by mid-day tomorrow, so check back. :)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
lol....no comment.

anyone have any thoughts on the district or any of the games?

So, did your girl tell you that she's coming down here to see me this weekend?

pololdb
01-23-2007, 12:31 AM
I think the bulldogs will try to make a run, but they may come up short. they have a talanted team with potential, which is always a plus in 3a basketball. when they are running the floor, they are hard to beat, it is when they slow down the game, they get into trouble.

neck_06
01-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Neck_06's District 24-3A Round 1 Analysis

Well round one of the rollercoaster ride that is District 24-3A basketball is now finished. Throughout the twists and turns of the past few weeks one thing has remained constant; Wharton Tiger victories. The Tigers’ athleticism and their ability to slow the game down to their pace allowed them to roll through the first round of district play with a perfect 7-0 record; however, they played the majority of their games at home, in the second half Wharton will have to make trips to West Columbia, Sweeny and Needville.

The reigning Region 4 champion Stafford Spartans are beginning to come together as a team at the right time, and they have a 5-2 district record to prove it. The Spartans lost their whole starting line-up to graduation this year, but first year head coach Eric Jackson has done a great job of helping them grow up fast and getting them ready to play week in and week out. Now with that said, the Spartans have shown their inexperience at bad times; 21 point home loss to Wharton which could have placed them atop the district and an overtime loss to Brookshire in which the Falcons came from 11 down in the fourth to tie the game.

This is where things in the district get a little messy. The third place spot (and second place for that matter) are WIDE open. West Columbia and Needville are both sitting at 4-3, but if the season ended today Needville would advance via the head-to-head tiebreak. Both of these teams have had some disappointing losses in the first round. Columbia lost a tough game to Wharton on the road in double overtime and another heartbreaker at Stafford by one before they were blown out by Needville (in Needville). Needville on the other hand has had every opportunity to climb atop the standings, but they have failed to do so. A missed lay-up at the buzzer doomed the Bluejays in an opening game loss to Stafford and a huge win over Columbia was nullified by an 11 point loss to Sweeny on Friday, dropping them back into the tie with Columbia.

The only team left in the district with a relatively good shot at the playoffs is the Sweeny Bulldogs. At 3-4 the Bulldogs are only one game out of third, but they have to find some kind of consistency if they want to make a run. The Bulldogs had a case of the upset bug early on the districts opening night, losing to Brookshire Royal by 12 on the road. They would bounce back however, and they are now coming off a huge 11 point home win against Needville that kept their playoff hopes from being destroyed early.

The rest of the district is a crap shoot. Each of the bottom three teams have shown the ability to play well, but none of them really have the players to contend for a playoff spot. Brookshire (2-5) flirted with the leaders for a while, but their playoff hopes took a huge blow when they lost to both Sealy and Columbus. Take back those two games and Brookshire is in the middle of the playoff race. Sealy (2-5) has played some close games in the first round of district. Of their five losses, only one has been by more than 12 points. Sealy is just lacking the experience that it takes to win the close games in the fourth quarter; but look out, in the next few years, this bunch could be dangerous. The Columbus Cardinals (1-6) are just flat out having a bad year. They are lacking a consistent scorer and really, when you get down to it, they just don’t have the athletes to win basketball games. It looks like they will be picking up the baseballs early this year…and I don’t think they will mind (Columbus can play some baseball).

Well, that’s all I’ve got and as you can see, the district 24-3A race is wide open. It should be a fun couple of weeks.

i will post my picks by mid-day tomorrow

maestro
01-23-2007, 06:40 AM
great post neck 06..

any words of wisdom from tiger 08????

neck_06
01-23-2007, 10:02 AM
ttt

neck_06
01-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Neck_06's Picks

Sealy @ Columbia

This is a big game for Columbia, they are coming off back-to-back district losses for the first time since 2004. They need to play an up-tempo game and force Sealy to make mistakes, but at the same time they must TAKE CARE OF THE BALL. Columbia has been plagued all year by turnovers, if they want to make it into the playoffs they are going to have to have consistent play from their gaurds and for their posts to keep up the good work. I'm going with Columbia by 15 at home.

Brookshire @ Sweeny
In thier last meeting, Brookshire shocked the district by upsetting Sweeny by 12. I don't see that happening again, Sweeny is playing good basketball right now and Brookshire has stumbled a bit. For Sweeny to win, they are going to have to play the same sound basketball that they played last Friday night against Needville. I look for Sweeny to come out and play well at home and to defeat the Falcons by 10.

Columbus @ Wharton
Lets look at the facts: Wharton is 7-0, Columbus is 1-6; Wharton has athletes, Columbus doesn't; Wharton has confidence, Columbus doesn't. An idiot could pick this game, but with that said I have seen stranger things. If Columbus gets really really hot and Wharton plays REALLY REALLY bad, it could happen. But it won't, Wharton by 30.

Needville @ Stafford
In the first meeting this year, Stafford did something that everyone else in the district is yet to do...beat Needville at home. The Bluejays had their chance, but they just couldn't get it done, in the end, a missed lay-up at the buzzer cost them the game. I look for this to once again be a very tight ballgame the entire way through. Needville will play sound defense as always, and will look to get the young Spartans out of their rythm. I'm taking Needville on the road by 3.

tigerpride_08
01-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by maestro
great post neck 06..

any words of wisdom from tiger 08????

haha not really..i just see us tigers playing well today against Columbus tonight and being 8-0 in district...;)

neck_06
01-23-2007, 07:24 PM
there, the picks are complete in just the nick of time...i just added the Needville/Stafford game.

neck_06
01-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Wharton 47
Columbus 29

Neck_06's pick = Wharton by 30

tigerpride_08
01-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Wharton 47
Columbus 29

Neck_06's pick = Wharton by 30

alittle to much of closeness...i was hoping for more of a blowout...:( ...now i think friday we travel to "dub-c"

neck_06
01-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Stafford 57
Needville 54

Neck_06's Pick = Needville by 3

i went 3 in the wrong direction.

neck_06
01-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Columbia 72
Sealy 50

Neck_06's Pick = Columbia by 15

necks_c/09
01-24-2007, 08:39 AM
brookshire-sweeny score????

maestro
01-24-2007, 11:25 PM
sweeny won.....

they have the capabilities of making a run in the second round!!

neck 06.....you let this thread drop too low......:)

I also blame tiger pride 08....:)

neck_06
01-25-2007, 02:06 AM
Well i went 3-1 again this week bringing the overall record to 10-2. the new district standings are:

District 24-3A

Wharton 8-0
Stafford 6-2
Columbia 5-3
Sweeny 4-4
Needville 4-4
Sealy 2-6
Brookshire 2-6
Columbus 1-7

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Well i went 3-1 again this week bringing the overall record to 10-2. the new district standings are:

District 24-3A

Wharton 8-0
Stafford 6-2
Columbia 5-3
Sweeny 4-4
Needville 4-4
Sealy 2-6
Brookshire 2-6
Columbus 1-7

Dang, you must have had some time on your hands to come up with these picks. I would have too, if I would have hurt myself slipping on some ice. :doh:

tigerpride_08
01-25-2007, 07:27 PM
we lost another player due to trouble in school...but #5 says hes going back to the doctor soon to see if he can come back quicker..also heard bringing up a fish player...dunno for playing time or not just yet...