PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth

TexanAlum_06
01-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Anybody have any advice on what kind of foods to eat after u get your wisdom teeth taken out, I get mine out today at 2. or what to expect as far as pain level and what not. Thanks

JasperDog94
01-22-2007, 11:39 AM
How old are you?

Phil C
Soup!

ASUFrisbeeStud
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Anybody have any advice on what kind of foods to eat after u get your wisdom teeth taken out, I get mine out today at 2. or what to expect as far as pain level and what not. Thanks

They dug mine outta my jaw so my pain was probably worse than most, but the pain pills were great.;) I ate alot of instant mashed potatoes and milkshakes, just don't drink with a straw or you will pull out the blood clots and get what they call dry sockets. I had one outta the four go "dry" as the dentist said and it was hell for like two weeks. Good luck.

Ranger Mom
01-22-2007, 11:40 AM

Soft foods...even if you think you are up to something harder, DO NOT TRY IT!! I learned the hard way!!!

Pain wasn't too bad, I think they just gave me Tylenol 3.

JasperDog94
01-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
They dug mine outta my jaw so my pain was probably worse than most, but the pain pills were great.;) I ate alot of instant mashed potatoes and milkshakes, just don't drink with a straw or you will pull out the blood clots and get what they call dry sockets. I had one outta the four go "dry" as the dentist said and it was hell for like two weeks. Good luck. I didn't use a straw and I still got dry socket. That was truly painful. The hardest part was having them clean it out ever other day!:bigcry:

TexanAlum_06
01-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Im 18. Yes I have heard about dry socket and how painful it can be. I have to be extra careful. Because I have a genetic/hereditary gene mutation that runs in my family which makes me prone to bloodclots. I have had a bloodclot before and have been on coumadin(bloodthinner). Im off the medicine now though. So this is a little more risky for me. But it has to be done cuz they are causing my teeth to move and im not gonna let them ruin 4 years of hell with braces. from what I can tell, all of them are out, so they arent impacted which means they should be able to pry them out. Does the procedure itself hurt? I know I will be gased but I have been before and I still felt some pressure/discomfort. Thanks.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-22-2007, 11:50 AM
I still have my wisdom teeth. Doc says I might get to keep them because they're growing in great with no crowding concerns.

TexanAlum_06
01-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah my dad never had to get his removed.

44INAROW
01-22-2007, 11:52 AM
all 3 of my boys have had their's removed and all were fortunate to have no problems (other than minor discomfort) oldest son had his removed by our family dentist and he went back to work that afternoon - middle son and youngest had their's removed surgically by an oral surgeon and pain was minimum. Youngest son went to a baseball tourney that evening (we drove since he was loaded up with pain killers lol) and then he went tubing 2 days later... I have heard some horror stories but won't go there........ listen to the surgeon/dentist and take the meds BEFORE you are in pain. Jello and pudding, milkshakes are good, scrambled eggs also. good luck

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah my dad never had to get his removed.

I have bonded retainers on the top and bottoms of my teeth, so that might have something to do with keeping them in line. I have to have them until I'm 21, but they're suprisingly not a hastle.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Im 18. Yes I have heard about dry socket and how painful it can be. I have to be extra careful. Because I have a genetic/hereditary gene mutation that runs in my family which makes me prone to bloodclots. I have had a bloodclot before and have been on coumadin(bloodthinner). Im off the medicine now though. So this is a little more risky for me. But it has to be done cuz they are causing my teeth to move and im not gonna let them ruin 4 years of hell with braces. from what I can tell, all of them are out, so they arent impacted which means they should be able to pry them out. Does the procedure itself hurt? I know I will be gased but I have been before and I still felt some pressure/discomfort. Thanks.

I don't know what it feels like when they do it, I think I was 17 so it's been a while but I remember them sticking the IV in my arm and my mom walking outta the room. Then the next thing I remember we are back in Sweetwater and getting my pain pills, I had the surgery in Abilene and I don't remember leaving the office. My mom said that was the day she learned I had a potty mouth because of all the F-bombs I was dropping as they wheeled me out.

TexanAlum_06
01-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah the main reason im pushing to get this done now. Is I have heard it is a lot less painful and easier to have them removed young and I had braces for 4 years and my teeth are pretty good now, and I dont want the wisdom teeth to move my other teeth to much. Because they could come at with me with a Knife and threaten me but I will never go back to braces. To hell with that. lol. I have a permanent bottom retainer. but it doesnt bother me at all, Hardly know its there.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I don't know what it feels like when they do it, I think I was 17 so it's been a while but I remember them sticking the IV in my arm and my mom walking outta the room. Then the next thing I remember we are back in Sweetwater and getting my pain pills, I had the surgery in Abilene and I don't remember leaving the office. My mom said that was the day she learned I had a potty mouth because of all the F-bombs I was dropping as they wheeled me out.

Did you tell her that you learned it all from her?

JasperDog94
Dude, once you're out, you won't remember a thing until the surgery is over.

Ranger Mom
I took my son's girlfriend to have hers removed last weekend.

She didn't have any top ones, so all she had to worry about was the bottom ones.

She had one they pulled and they had to cut out the other one. She is 6 months pregnant, so she couldn't have the gas...they just numbed her mouth.

She felt the pressure and the oral surgeon was jerking her head around pretty good (I was in there), but she didn't have any pain.

She couldn't take anything stronger than Extra Strength Tylenol, she was in a little bit of pain that first day, by the second day she was just a little sore, but back on solid foods.

Any kind of "sucking" can cause dry sockets...straw, cigarettes, dipping....I think that is the most extreme pain you can suffer when you have dry sockets!

Good luck to ya!!

TexanAlum_06
01-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Alright everybody im headin out to the dentist office. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. Wish me luck. lol.

olddawggreen
01-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Not a clue, I still have my wisdom teeth.

Tx Challenge
01-22-2007, 09:27 PM
How did it go Caleb?

Bandera YaYa
01-22-2007, 09:32 PM
I took care of both my daughters last year when they had theirs out....my oldest had all four done and was allergic to the pain meds they gave her, so for the first day and 1/2 she was throwing up on top of the normal pain and misery....she said it was the worst she has ever felt! Now, my baby got thru hers relatively easy...but she's tough. So, hopefully you won't be allergic to any meds they give you!!! Hope you are doing ok!! Hang in there! :)

Blastoderm55
01-23-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm getting mine pulled over the summer, most likely. I'm going to have the procedure done in Austin at a firm that pulls your teeth for free and pays you $1200. The catch? You agree to be a lab rat to test the effectiveness of pain killers. It'd sure suck to end up with the pain killer that doesn't work, but it beats having to pay to have them removed. :p

Johnnypaycheck
01-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
I'm getting mine pulled over the summer, most likely. I'm going to have the procedure done in Austin at a firm that pulls your teeth for free and pays you $1200. The catch? You agree to be a lab rat to test the effectiveness of pain killers. It'd sure suck to end up with the pain killer that doesn't work, but it beats having to pay to have them removed. :p

i did that when i was in high school. had to get right side done once, and then come back in a few months to have left side done.

right side went great, no pain due to good pain medication

left side went horrible. i think they gave me the placebo for pain medication aka sugar pills. hurt like heck and swoll up, looked like a chipmunk with acorns in his cheeks.

44INAROW
01-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Alright everybody im headin out to the dentist office. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. Wish me luck. lol.

anyone heard from Texanalum_06?

pirate4state
01-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
anyone heard from Texanalum_06?

nope. I hope he is okay.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-23-2007, 06:59 PM
The surgery is actually not until Friday. There was some confusion about the date and they pushed it back until then. So I'm sure he's doing alright.

TexanAlum_06
01-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55

Is the company called Scirex? I tried to do it with them, they were going to pay me 800$. But my bloodclot history exempted me from it. So you have to have no recent medical mishaps, like within the past 5 years. but the catch is. A) The pain medication they test is a mixture of tylenol and aspirin so it is not that strong, and there is a 50/50 chance u might not even get the medicine, you might fall into the control group which they just give u a sugar pill/placebo. and the 2nd catch is. if at anytime you cant handle the pain and have to ask for rescue medicine(vicodin/hydrocodone) then u will not receive the full payment, you will only be paid for the days u were there. and you go in on a tuesday and have to stay there through friday evening. So If u dont have a good pain tolerance, especially for your mouth, I wouldnt recommend it. I was going to do it anyway. cuz I need the $$, but they wouldnt let me. A-holes. lol. Yeah my dad thought I was getting them out yesterday morning but he was wrong, yesterday was just a paperwork and consultation visit, I get them out Friday morning at 7AM. Im getting them done by Dean Jasper at longhorn Dental is Austin. he is a great doctor. my family has known him for 20 years. his office is in the same building as Scirex and he performs all of their operations anyway. I recommend him to anyone looking to get it done. Thanks for all the support!

piratebg
01-23-2007, 07:44 PM
I still have all of mine. When I was 16 though, my dentist told that it looked about time to have them removed. My father's wife at the time needed braces so I was over-ruled. I haven't had any pain or discomfort so I haven't really worried too much about it.

TexanAlum_06
01-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah some people have enough room in the back of their mouth where they come in and dont bother a thing.

gobbler grad
01-23-2007, 09:16 PM
take a couple of pain killers and a 6-pack of Lite...

floating on cloud nine...:eek:

:crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: