PDA

View Full Version : Softball season begins!!!

pirate4state
01-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Today is the first day of practice!!!!! Woo Hoo!!! :cheerl:

Fill us in on your softball team!!

Phil C
01-22-2007, 10:12 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

injuredinmelee
01-22-2007, 11:16 AM
all i know is they will be really really really cold when they practice today.

txkmom
01-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Liberty Eylau returns a softball team that lost to Van last year in a grueling and heartbreaking 3rd-of-three game that went to 15 innings (Van went on to state from that series). They lost seniors at 1B, 2B, C, and in the OF. There have been a couple of losses due to moves and injury, also. However, there are experienced players (HS & travel ball) both returning and stepping up into those positions. The primary pitcher is deep into basketball right now, but returns as a sophomore. The girls, and their new coach, have high expectations for their team.

neck_06
01-22-2007, 11:55 AM
GO LADY NECKS!!!

Sftball4Life
01-22-2007, 11:58 AM
I thought it would never get here!!!!

LE finished last season ranked 8th in the state - after making its first appearance in school history at the Regional Final - behind the arm of freshman pitcher Lacey Middlebrooks.

In addition to Lacey, we have 6 juniors who spend all their summers playing competitive travel ball. Those 7 girls have combined to win 3 state championships and 1 world series championship between 2 teams in the past 2 summers.

We have a new head coach this year and we're hoping this will be another great season for the Lady Leopards.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Sftball4Life
I thought it would never get here!!!!

LE finished last season ranked 8th in the state - after making its first appearance in school history at the Regional Final - behind the arm of freshman pitcher Lacey Middlebrooks.

In addition to Lacey, we have 6 juniors who spend all their summers playing competitive travel ball. Those 7 girls have combined to win 3 state championships and 1 world series championship between 2 teams in the past 2 summers.

We have a new head coach this year and we're hoping this will be another great season for the Lady Leopards.

What do you have to do with L-E softball?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Oh yeah, Rockdale Lady Tigers are going to win state this year. :D

Sftball4Life
01-22-2007, 12:03 PM
My daughter is one of the juniors.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Sftball4Life
My daughter is one of the juniors.

Pray that ya'll don't have to face Rockdale. :D

Just kidding, good luck to your daughter.

pirate4state
01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Great stuff ladies!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Sinton returns 6 starters from last years Regional Finalist team. Lost a heartbreaker to eventual state champions West Columbia.

Looking forward to making another run and finally pushing through and getting back to Austin. :thumbsup:

Lots of experience on this team and they are hungry.

GOOD LUCK LADY PIRATES!!! :clap:

pirate4state
01-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Oh yeah, Rockdale Lady Tigers are going to win state this year. :D

Rockdale had a great team last year. What can you tell us about this years squad? Region III is the toughest region and it should be very interesting now that West Columbia is in the mix. :eek:

Sftball4Life
01-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks.... we like playing the hard games. I can't imagine one any tougher than that 15-inning marathon with Van last year. It was awesome!!

Good Luck to Rockdale too!!

eagles_victory
01-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Fairfield will be fair good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to do anything when they get there

Bullaholic
01-22-2007, 01:20 PM
I always wanted to ask this---Do you think most girl's softball teams would beat the boy's baseball team in a softball game?

txkmom
01-22-2007, 01:36 PM
I think both would have a hard time reading the pitches and hitting each other b/c of the ball size, distance, and pitching techniques differences. Did you ever see the video of the mlb players trying to hit Jenny Finch?

Bullaholic
01-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by txkmom
I think both would have a hard time reading the pitches and hitting each other b/c of the ball size, distance, and pitching techniques differences. Did you ever see the video of the mlb players trying to hit Jenny Finch?

I was talking about the girls playing the boys in a softball game under softball rules. I think I would bet on the girls. I have really been impressed in recent years with the level of athleticism displayed by the girls in the softball programs. They can really throw and hit. They don't play like the "girls" of my era (not taking anything away from their femininity, either).

txkmom
01-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Oh, DUH, sorry !! :)
Against each other in softball, power and strength is going to be an issue there. My husband played softball for years and the guys can really power the ball.

buffalo2006
01-22-2007, 02:28 PM
The Giddings softball team will probably do real well this year. Hopefully they can stay injury free and atleast make it far in the playoffs if not win it all, i think Bellville has a pretty good team. Giddings has a good pitcher in Alix Boes and catcher Lindsey Richardson. They have Reagan Fritche who can hit the ball wherever she want including over the fence. They have a good freshman player who is the principals daughter and i heard she can play solid defense. Thats just a few people but hopefully they can make a good run this year.

Phil C
01-22-2007, 02:43 PM
A few years ago Corpus Christi had a senior men's softball team that won the world championship in that bracket. :)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-22-2007, 02:54 PM
The Rockdale Lady Tigers return All-State pitcher Sammie Meyer, only losing three starters to graduation in SS Toni Ellis, 3B Cailtyn Luetge, and C Kylie Fatheree. Although all three played integral parts of the team, with Ellis batting in the .500 range and hitting several in the park homeruns, they are to be replaced by upcoming freshman ladies who I have been told are very talented. Only time will tell, but I think they will be just as potent this year as they have been the past two. Coach Jessica Poole has brought the Lady Tigers to become one of the best teams in the state, and I look for her to do the same.

coach
01-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Today is the first day of practice!!!!! Woo Hoo!!! :cheerl:

Fill us in on your softball team!!

who cares

BTEXDAD
01-22-2007, 03:26 PM
The Rockdale Lady Tigers return All-State pitcher Sammie Meyer, only losing three starters to graduation in SS Toni Ellis, 3B Cailtyn Luetge, and C Kylie Fatheree.

Did Toni Ellis go on to play in college and if so where? I remember her from one asa team my daughter played against. We never got the chance to play rockdale in high school playoffs. One of us always got knocked out b4 it could happen.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Did Toni Ellis go on to play in college and if so where? I remember her from one asa team my daughter played against. We never got the chance to play rockdale in high school playoffs. One of us always got knocked out b4 it could happen.

No, she decided to come up to A&M. I tried to get her to walk-on, but I don't think they accept any. She could have went to a few colleges, but turned them down to come here I believe. Did your daughter go anywhere to play?

BTEXDAD
01-22-2007, 03:38 PM
No, she decided to come up to A&M. I tried to get her to walk-on, but I don't think they accept any. She could have went to a few colleges, but turned them down to come here I believe. Did your daughter go anywhere to play?

She had a number of good juco offers, but had a lot of dual credit hrs from high school so we thought it best if she went directly to 4 yr school.
She did still want to play softball, so she wound up going to east Texas baptist (ETBU) in marshall.
Small college, but have been traditionally solid in softball. Same conference as schools like UT-Tyler, UT-Dallas, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Hardin simmons, College of the Ozarks in Ark, etc.
So far she's loved it up there. Spring season doesn't start till mid Feb.
D-III schools like that are an excellent place for boy and girl athletes that may have slipped under the radar at larger schools to go play sports for a few more years.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-22-2007, 03:39 PM
She had a number of good juco offers, but had a lot of dual credit hrs from high school so we thought it best if she went directly to 4 yr school.
She did still want to play softball, so she wound up going to east Texas baptist (ETBU) in marshall.
Small college, but have been traditionally solid in softball. Same conference as schools like UT-Tyler, UT-Dallas, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Hardin simmons, College of the Ozarks in Ark, etc.
D-III schools like that are an excellent place for boy and girl athletes that may have slipped under the radar at larger schools to go play sports for a few more years.

Well, at least she is devoted to something so much that she's not ready to give it up. I can definately relate to that and respect it.

pirate4state
01-22-2007, 04:05 PM

That's great. Good luck to her!!

What does Bellville look like this year?? Are they favored to win district?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by buffalo2006
The Giddings softball team will probably do real well this year. Hopefully they can stay injury free and atleast make it far in the playoffs if not win it all, i think Bellville has a pretty good team.

Bellville will win District with the returning pitching they have they will be hard to beat in this Region.

pirate4state
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Bellville will win District with the returning pitching they have they will be hard to beat in this Region.

Region III is no doubt the power region. Whoever comes out alive will be a force in Austin!! :eek:

Good Luck to the lady Brahmas.

Phil C
01-22-2007, 04:26 PM
I like softball. :)

nette_mom
01-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Bellville will be returning 2 starting pitchers in Lauren Luetge, who has signed with Stephen F. Austin, and Alyssa Murphy, a sophomore powerhouse. We will be returning our starting 1st baseman, 2nd baseman, 3rd baseman, and left field. We lost our catcher and shortstop, but we have some great contenders who will be stepping into those positions. Our pitching will be tremendous, and we have some real power hitters in the line-up. It will be hard to replace Sloan and Meier, but someone will have to step it up. My daughter is excited about the season and can't wait to step onto the field!!! We are also excited about the strong competition in our district this year. Giddings, Navasota, and LaGrange, and Caldwell will field great teams, I don't know much about Smithvilles program, but they have been a class act in all of the sports we have played in thus far. Good Luck to everyone and let the girls play the game on the field!!!!

carter08
01-22-2007, 05:04 PM
The Defending State Champion and 2 time State Finalist Columbia Lady Necks started practice today

tigerpride_08
01-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by carter08
The Defending State Champion and 2 time State Finalist Columbia Lady Necks started practice today

so did the Lady Tigers...:D...don't overlook any teams just yet...

maroonpirate04
01-22-2007, 08:04 PM
GOOD LUCK TO THE LADY PIRATES IN 2007 GO LADIES!!! DOMINATE REGION 4 LET'S GO ALL THE WAY IN '07.

I WATCHED THESE LADIES BRAVE THIS BRUTAL WEATHER PRACTICE IN PIRATE STADIUM. GOOD LUCK!!!

buff4life
01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma

keep tellin yourself that....we see if it bites ya in the butt...

44INAROW
01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
so did the Lady Tigers...:D...don't overlook any teams just yet...

saw the Wharton girls (Select ballteam) play in a tourney in Cuero a couple weekends ago...... they are GOOD.. assume they all play on the high school team as well.

Anyone going to the softball tourney in New Branfels? Not sure when it is, probably early March. I think it's a 3 day tourney - Thursday through Saturday.... Cuero girls will be going for the 1st time this year......

tigerpride_08
01-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
saw the Wharton girls (Select ballteam) play in a tourney in Cuero a couple weekends ago...... they are GOOD.. assume they all play on the high school team as well.

Anyone going to the softball tourney in New Branfels? Not sure when it is, probably early March. I think it's a 3 day tourney - Thursday through Saturday.... Cuero girls will be going for the 1st time this year......

yes all but one plays for our high school team...i don't know if all will be on varsity but they should be very good this year...

awizzy
01-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
GO LADY NECKS!!!
u ready for another trip to austin

BTEXDAD
01-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
Many are saying it's Bellville and La Grange battling it out in district 23-3A, but I told several people Giddings may very well be the team to beat.
They will need to figure out how to score a run against bellville though, as bellville shut them out twice last year (9-0 & 4-0).
Pitching will certainly not be a problem with Bellville, but more players will need to step up and hit.
Potential there, but need to see it at the plate. Bellville lost 3 of top 5 hitters to graduation and i've heard the Schmidt girl is not playing softball this season either. If that's true, another solid spot in batting order and in field won't be available.
Bellville should be good. Have won 4 district championships in row and even with new alignment, I'll pick them to take a 5th.

pirate4state
01-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by buff4life

LOL.

What's the story here? Same as in football?

How does the Giddings team look this year? How did they do last year? How many starters returning, etc., etc.?

44INAROW - Wharton has always fielded a strong ball club, but that district (West Columbia, Sweeny, Needville, Sealy & Wharton - whew) they are in is tough. There is always a very good team sitting at home come playoff time.

Too bad Cuero & Sinton won't be at any of the same tournaments this year. :(

BTEXDAD
01-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
LOL.

What's the story here? Same as in football?

How does the Giddings team look this year? How did they do last year? How many starters returning, etc., etc.?

44INAROW - Wharton has always fielded a strong ball club, but that district (West Columbia, Sweeny, Needville, Sealy & Wharton - whew) they are in is tough. There is always a very good team sitting at home come playoff time.

Too bad Cuero & Sinton won't be at any of the same tournaments this year. :(

buff will get back about the giddings team, but they are good. I know they lost the Fulcher(sp?) girl that I think played shortstop, but they've got a lot of young talent.
Bellville has good pitching, but so does Giddings and La Grange.

And in that other district mentioned, 24-AAA, with Columbia, Sweeny, etc, Columbus wasn't even mentioned. They are pretty solid also with a lot of girls who play tournament ball. That is an 8 team with six good teamsdistrict so three good teams will be watching playoffs from sidelines. EASILY the toughest softball district in state.

pirate4state
01-23-2007, 10:55 AM
buff will get back about the giddings team, but they are good. I know they lost the Fulcher(sp?) girl that I think played shortstop, but they've got a lot of young talent.
Bellville has good pitching, but so does Giddings and La Grange.

And in that other district mentioned, 24-AAA, with Columbia, Sweeny, etc, Columbus wasn't even mentioned. They are pretty solid also with a lot of girls who play tournament ball. That is an 8 team with six good teamsdistrict so three good teams will be watching playoffs from sidelines. EASILY the toughest softball district in state.

Columbus?? Guess I had just never really heard to much about them, but I believe you if you say they are good and now I'll have another team to keep my "eye" on. ;)

That district is scary & now it's in Region III...like y'all needed more power house teams. ;)

Reds fan
01-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by nette_mom
Bellville will be returning 2 starting pitchers in Lauren Luetge, who has signed with Stephen F. Austin, and Alyssa Murphy, a sophomore powerhouse. We will be returning our starting 1st baseman, 2nd baseman, 3rd baseman, and left field. We lost our catcher and shortstop, but we have some great contenders who will be stepping into those positions. Our pitching will be tremendous, and we have some real power hitters in the line-up. It will be hard to replace Sloan and Meier, but someone will have to step it up. My daughter is excited about the season and can't wait to step onto the field!!! We are also excited about the strong competition in our district this year. Giddings, Navasota, and LaGrange, and Caldwell will field great teams, I don't know much about Smithvilles program, but they have been a class act in all of the sports we have played in thus far. Good Luck to everyone and let the girls play the game on the field!!!!

Congratulations to pitcher Lauren Luetge at S.F.A.U.! Looks as though pitching is deep in Bellville. Speaking of college players, anyone know how Emily Shadow is doing at TAMU? Columbia looks like the favorite in Region III, young team with strong pitching.

Good luck to all the softball teams, have a great and safe season!

pirate4state
01-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Splendora is generally a strong program. What/Who do they have returning this year?

You can't even be excited that BH is in 4A b/c you now have the defending state champs to worry about.

West Columbia + 5 other teams in district 24
Bellville + Giddings + La Grange
Splendora
Rockdale
Robinson
Carthage

Who else? We need early district predictions. :D :nerd:

Reds fan
01-23-2007, 12:23 PM

Great Kid and so happy she found a college to her liking! Bellville HS will miss her leadership on and off the field! Good luck to her.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by nette_mom

Good info nette- mom, how is nette-dad doing?