PDA

View Full Version : Who cares that Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black?

AggieJohn
01-21-2007, 10:19 PM
They are just great coaches, why do they have to make a big deal out of their race..

Bullaholic
01-21-2007, 10:20 PM
yea---maybe somebody ought to make a thread about that.....

Adidas410s
01-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
yea---maybe somebody ought to make a thread about that.....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Adidas410s
01-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Their just coaches, why do they have to make a big deal out of that?

Listen to the way that Lovie Smith talked about the feelings that he has to be the first one to make it to the Super Bowl...and it's quite evident that it's important to them and means something to them. Evidently it's something that neither you nor most of America can ever truly understand! ;)

catman
01-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Congratulations to both coaches for their personal triumphs and for what this means for African-Americans in general.

AggieJohn
01-21-2007, 10:34 PM
I mean I understand the nature of the event....

but it was like the second thing the announcers said after the colts won

Bull Butter
01-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Tom Flores was the first Hispanic coach to win a Super Bowl 26 years ago. No one made a big deal out of that.

wedo
01-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Their just great coaches, why do they have to make a big deal out of their race..

b/c it is a great accomplishment for African Americans in General. It is a big deal and a big accomplishment for all minorities!!!

AggieJohn
01-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Tom Flores was the first Hispanic coach to win a Super Bowl 26 years ago. No one made a big deal out of that. exactly....it's only a big deal about race when people have to overly point it out..if people would stop seeing color and see the people

those are two great coaches

Bull Butter
01-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Not only was Flores the first Hispanic coach to win a SB. He did it with the first Hispanic QB to win a SB (Jim Plunkett)

mistanice
01-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Will they make a big deal when Obama becomes the next President? or Bill Richardson?

Matthew328
01-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Plunkett is Native American

88bobcats
01-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Plunkett is Native American

And Jim Thorpe, another Native American, had an illustrious career in the Olympics, Pro Baseball, and Pro Football.....but not the Super Bowl.

I like diversity, and it's O.K. to pay attention to any "first time for something"; but I can appreciate the concerns that the media can take things a little too far. The media can take any iota and go into over-load mode if it sells.....

rundoe
01-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Don't get me started on the media.

Originally posted by 88bobcats
And Jim Thorpe, another Native American, had an illustrious career in the Olympics, Pro Baseball, and Pro Football.....but not the Super Bowl.

I like diversity, and it's O.K. to pay attention to any "first time for something"; but I can appreciate the concerns that the media can take things a little too far. The media can take any iota and go into over-load mode if it sells.....

themsu97
01-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Plunkett is also of hispanic descent...

not everyone was so caught up in race then... people were people... not until the pc of the late 90's did the media buy into it...
I have met Lovie Smith twice at Bears camp... he is from Big Sandy and will admit that as much as his race... it is very important to him, so to some it is important...
Smith is one of the greatest men you will ever meet... his faith is very important to him and kudos to Dungy and the Colts owner for publicly giving the credit to God...that was very refreshing