PDA

View Full Version : Just my luck!

Ranger Mom
01-21-2007, 06:45 PM
I finally upgraded one of my computers to XP yesterday, got my sound card working and my computer is going SOOO much faster now.

I moved it into my bedroom, because my oldest moved back home temporarily and moved into my office (he's going back to college to become a Veterinarian, and can't afford rent right now).

Anyway, there is no room for me, him and his stinky feet in that room, so I moved my stuff out.

I get everything all set up and ready to go and find out that my phone jacks are not working in my room for some reason. So I am all set up with no where to go right now.

My Dad and coming out for my birthday Wednesday, and he retired from Southwestern Bell, so he thinks he will be able to find out what the problem is and fix it.

Until then....I am stuck with being online at work only. I am over at Sweetxpeach's house right now and snuck in here for a little look see.

See yall in a few days!

Emerson1
01-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Get DSL

sinton66
01-21-2007, 06:49 PM
I just finished wiring up the rest of my house for Cat 5. Spent a full day up in the attic crawling across 2x6's and pulling wire. My knees are sore and so is my back, but at least I have hi-speed in all but the dining room and the bathrooms. I'm glad that's done.

RM, Hopefully it'll be just a bad connection on the ground floor somewhere.;)

Ranger Mom
01-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I just finished wiring up the rest of my house for Cat 5. Spent a full day up in the attic crawling across 2x6's and pulling wire. My knees are sore and so is my back, but at least I have hi-speed in all but the dining room and the bathrooms. I'm glad that's done.

It's only on the 2 jacks in my bedroom, the jacks in the kitchen and office are working fine.

I don't have a long enough phone line to run it clear across the house.

Kyle, you know if I had any other choice right now, I wouldn't be on dialup. The only choice I have is through the cable company and I can't rationalize spending $70 a month for it when basically all I do is get on the downlow anyway.

sinton66
01-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Does the $70 include the cable tv? My total bill is about $88.71 for cable and roadrunner.

Emerson1
01-21-2007, 07:01 PM

Why didn't you just get a wireless router?

sinton66
01-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Don't want wireless in my house. Wired system is secure.

Ranger Mom
01-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Does the $70 include the cable tv? My total bill is about $88.71 for cable and roadrunner.

No...that is for the internet ONLY..plus an initial $250 set up fee.

The $50 cable bill is additional!

Emerson1
01-21-2007, 07:03 PM
You can secure wireless :)

Ranger Mom
Originally posted by Emerson1
Why didn't you just get a wireless router?

I am on wireless at the sis in laws right now. Everytime the wind blows it's down! I wouldn't want it either!

sinton66
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Dang, that's high.

carter08
01-21-2007, 07:04 PM

That is crazy
Our cable company charged like 50 bucks for set up

Emerson1
01-21-2007, 07:04 PM
I am on wireless at the sis in laws right now. Everytime the wind blows it's down! I wouldn't want it either!

We aren't talking about the same kind of wireless.

Ranger Mom
01-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Dang, that's high.

Exactly, which is why I don't have it!

People in a two mile radius around me can get SBCGlobal, Clearwire, etc. I am in a hole I guess, I can't find anything other than that cable company!:rolleyes:

burnet44
01-21-2007, 07:21 PM
i have a router
all the house is wireless
secure
password protected
beats being in the attic
and all ours 3 are wireless

its a no brainer

Emerson1
01-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I have wireless
for the laptop
both computers are wired
we have a cable
going to my room
for my playstation
wiring the entire house
anything other than fiber optic
is a waste

Emerson1
01-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Exactly, which is why I don't have it!

People in a two mile radius around me can get SBCGlobal, Clearwire, etc. I am in a hole I guess, I can't find anything other than that cable company!:rolleyes:
Ask your neighbors if you can run a cable from their house.

Bullaholic
01-21-2007, 08:28 PM
It's only on the 2 jacks in my bedroom, the jacks in the kitchen and office are working fine.

I don't have a long enough phone line to run it clear across the house.

Kyle, you know if I had any other choice right now, I wouldn't be on dialup. The only choice I have is through the cable company and I can't rationalize spending $70 a month for it when basically all I do is get on the downlow anyway.

I'm going to offer you some unsolicited advice, RM----spend the $70---you'll always be glad you did.

1. It is very hard to keep your virus protection up to date on dialup because you probably will not be on enough for it to download and install all of the updates---they are huge nowdays.

2. You will be unable to receive all of the Microsoft XP updates and patches which are released almost daily to close "holes" in the operating system. These are also huge and almost impossible to download with dialup.

3. Most ISP's are abandoning dialup and they do not allocate a lot of bandwidth to dialup customers so you may or may not get a decent speed with you connection on a consistent basis.

4. As you know from work---downloads of big files are much, much quicker.

5. With the addition of a wireless router and wirless adapters, you can put every computer in your home on high speed internet from any room.

6. Braodband works without having to have a separate phone line, and does not tie up your phone line.

7. You won't have to wait all day for AJ's or Carter's sigs to load when you are browsing threads. :D

Bullaholic
01-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Did not read your other posts, RM. Obviously, if the only broadband service provider available to you has a horrible service rep and the service is marginal---forget my other post.

sinton66
01-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Wireless is indeed relatively secure these days, but wired networks are absolutely secure, and no one can "steal" your bandwidth.

Bullaholic
01-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Wireless is indeed relatively secure these days, but wired networks are absolutely secure, and no one can "steal" your bandwidth.

and you don't have to spend your Sunday crawling around in the dark in your attic to install it.....

(I happen to know firsthand that most home attics are not made for us "real" men with a little "girth", 66') :D

sinton66
01-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Some of us just go ahead and "tough" it out. But, my knees and back would agree with you right now.;)

rundoe
01-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Just spring for road runner and quit messing around with dial up

I finally upgraded one of my computers to XP yesterday, got my sound card working and my computer is going SOOO much faster now.

I moved it into my bedroom, because my oldest moved back home temporarily and moved into my office (he's going back to college to become a Veterinarian, and can't afford rent right now).

Anyway, there is no room for me, him and his stinky feet in that room, so I moved my stuff out.

I get everything all set up and ready to go and find out that my phone jacks are not working in my room for some reason. So I am all set up with no where to go right now.

My Dad and coming out for my birthday Wednesday, and he retired from Southwestern Bell, so he thinks he will be able to find out what the problem is and fix it.

Until then....I am stuck with being online at work only. I am over at Sweetxpeach's house right now and snuck in here for a little look see.

See yall in a few days!