PDA

View Full Version : Shot Duck Survives 2 Days In The Refrigerator!!!

ILS1
01-20-2007, 09:22 PM
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

When the wife of the hunter who shot it opened the refrigerator door, the duck lifted its head, giving her a scare.

The man’s wife “was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn’t been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her,” said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. “She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there.”

The 1-pound female ringneck ended up at Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75 percent chance of survival, but probably won’t ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times. And he said he understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.

“This duck is very passive,” Hale said. “It’s not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands.”

Story Link (www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16725051/)

Cameron Crazy
01-20-2007, 11:27 PM
I have seen it all!

GreenMonster
01-21-2007, 02:14 AM
That would have been some really fresh roast duck.

rundoe
01-21-2007, 06:27 AM
Sorry,
Duck is NOT on my meat list. Just not fond of the taste. Love to watch em on a cold morning out of the deer stand though.

Growing up a hunter with my Dad. I was taught to shoot everything thing that moved.

But as I grew later in life my hunting, I limited my hunting to doves, white tail and the occasional coyote. Had lots of opportunities to shoot bobcats and the occasional mountain lion but enjoyed watching them more that shooting them.

JJ7997
01-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by rundoe
Sorry,
Duck is NOT on my meat list. Just not fond of the taste. Love to watch em on a cold morning out of the deer stand though.

Growing up a hunter with my Dad. I was taught to shoot everything thing that moved.

But as I grew later in life my hunting, I limited my hunting to doves, white tail and the occasional coyote. Had lots of opportunities to shoot bobcats and the occasional mountain lion but enjoyed watching them more that shooting them.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Shooting with the lens is alot more fulfilling than shooting with the gun on alot of species. Of course Feral Hogs I do indiscriminately kill.

olddawggreen
01-21-2007, 11:26 AM
What duck hunter puts his dead duck in the fridge before cleaning and gutting it!:confused:

lepfan
01-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by rundoe
Sorry,

But as I grew later in life my hunting, I limited my hunting to doves, white tail and the occasional coyote. Had lots of opportunities to shoot bobcats and the occasional mountain lion but enjoyed watching them more that shooting them. My mom and dad have a mountain lion and several bobcats on their place in SE OK. The mountain lion has been seen out at the barn...about 100 yards from the house. The bobcats are meaner...they have been a bit closer to the house. In fact one of them decided that my mom's weiner dog was a good meal. All she heard was a short yap and then saw it bobcat running away.:eek:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997

Shooting with the lens is alot more fulfilling than shooting with the gun on alot of species. Of course Feral Hogs I do indiscriminately kill.

Me too. What do you hunt the feral beasts with?

JJ7997
01-21-2007, 01:57 PM
I usually go with the trusty old 30.06 from a deer blind. The ranch out west of Gatesville is and the surrounding area is overrun with hogs. I have hunted them just about every way in the book though in the past. From off the four-wheeler with a shotgun at very close range. With a handgun even closer, stalking them, and I've trapped boatloads of them. I have also did the chasing with dogs and then catching the hogs live. Check out www.centraltexashoghunting.com and you'll see my cousin and uncles place right next to ours and some nice hogs. You never know, someone may want book a hunt.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-22-2007, 03:14 AM
I usually go with the trusty old 30.06 from a deer blind. The ranch out west of Gatesville is and the surrounding area is overrun with hogs. I have hunted them just about every way in the book though in the past. From off the four-wheeler with a shotgun at very close range. With a handgun even closer, stalking them, and I've trapped boatloads of them. I have also did the chasing with dogs and then catching the hogs live. Check out www.centraltexashoghunting.com and you'll see my cousin and uncles place right next to ours and some nice hogs. You never know, someone may want book a hunt.

I like to hunt with something with a little more stopping power. :D

necks_c/09
01-22-2007, 08:38 AM

personally i like to hunt with a bow.....i think it takes much more skill and effort rather than simply placing a cross arrow on an animal from 200 yds and it has no idea

i like the challenge that is all. But i don still like the fact that you hunt b/c gun hunters are more persistent about trying to keep hunting from being banned altogether. (you know those tree huggers trying to stop hunting)

charlesrixey
01-26-2007, 04:29 PM
there are large packs of hogs all over north texas