PDA

View Full Version : UIL Classifications

Bullaholic
01-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Been a while since we discussed this, so I thought I would bring it up again for benefit of the new posters we have picked up.

What is the best solution for the UIL to pursue with regard to future athletic classifications. Create 6A or continue to expand the nos. in the existing classes? Should the DI and DII divisions be combined? Should there be any 4 team Districts?

luvhoops34
01-19-2007, 02:03 PM
I think they need to go to 6A and make the number disparity from 3A on up smaller.

Gobbla2001
01-19-2007, 02:07 PM
I think SLC needs to start playing College Ball...

In all honesty I want to see some numbers brought out by some of our human high school databases on here so we can think up stuff... these are always intersting topics...

IHStangFan
01-19-2007, 02:07 PM
go w/ a 6A classification, and honestly I do not mind the DI and DII seperation, gives me more options/games come playoff time. On the downside....there are teams that made the playoffs this year that didn't (in my mind) really deserve to be there w/ 2-8 records, etc. A side note to that....Needville who was 7-3 I believe did not even make the playoffs.

AggieJohn
01-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Been a while since we discussed this, so I thought I would bring it up again for benefit of the new posters we have picked up.

What is the best solution for the UIL to pursue with regard to future athletic classifications. Create 6A or continue to expand the nos. in the existing classes? Should the DI and DII divisions be combined? Should there be any 4 team Districts? 6A districts would be a financial burden and headache to schedule, unless you just decided to take the main 5a's from Houston, Dallas and SA regions and have them duel it out and then playoff it all the way up

burnet44
01-19-2007, 02:28 PM
6A is impracticable. The travel is too great.
I would love to see something different, but the travel for Tuesday night games is too big of a burden.
Actually since we have 2 champions in each class the argument about the differences in numbers is weak.
One champion maybe but with 2 that argument doesn't hold water.
I would like to see one champion like in vb, b-ball etc.
But there is too much money to be made from playoff football games.
6A is not viable.

Adidas410s
01-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
I would like to see one champion like in vb, b-ball etc.
But there is too much money to be made from playoff football games.

They could always have a TOC after all of the games are played. They already have all of the schools in Austin for the tournament anyways...so why not make it happen??? It sure would've been interesting to see the Canyon teams of a few years ago playing the 4A and 5A state champs in basketball. :)

Bullaholic
01-19-2007, 02:40 PM
This is really dreaming....but I wonder what would happen if they surveyed all the coaches and asked them to submit their preferred district alignments.

3afan
01-19-2007, 04:02 PM
remember - the UIL is composed of the SCHOOLs ...... yes there are UIL admin folks but decisions such as are being discussed here are decided by the members

pancho villa
01-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Reg IV with 4 teams in a district is a joke.

luvhoops34
01-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa

Quit picking on Region IV!

3afan
01-19-2007, 06:19 PM

and you would solve the problem HOW ................. ???

c-town_balla
01-19-2007, 06:33 PM
by putting more than four teams in a distrct..........duh

pancho villa
01-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Hurt Reg. IV when Columbia, Sweeny, Needville, Stafford and Liberity Hill went Reg III.

3afan
01-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
by putting more than four teams in a distrct..........duh

OK, thats easy to say - those teams have to come from somewhere ........ lets see you do it and handle all the ramifications in other 3A regions and 2A/4A ........ its an immense task

BILLYFRED0000
01-20-2007, 11:47 AM
There is still alot of room in 3a for teams. Olly 174 this year. All the other classes have between 210 and 240. They need to move the numbers up a little more for 1a 2a 3a so that small 4a teams move into 3a. Then they will have more room to manuever
5a teams. The 2 division playoffs for the most part mitigates the discrepancies in size and 6a is financially an unacceptable burden on the schools and state.

GOFOR2
01-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I relaly dont think 6A is a viable or feasible plan just yet. What are the minimum? There would probably not be as many schools thats could meet those minimums, and there certainly would not be as many districts, and travel would be a big issue. But I believe we will eventually go to 6A. Having 10 champions is another ridiculous concept.

charlesrixey
01-20-2007, 05:00 PM
there should be a 96-team (3 per district) 1-division system, with the district champion getting the bye. Only 5A should have multiple divisions.

Centextrash
01-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
there should be a 96-team (3 per district) 1-division system, with the district champion getting the bye. Only 5A should have multiple divisions.

I like this concept (one division playoff). Have everyone start the season in zero week....start district 1 week early, and playoffs would start in week 10 w/ the district champ getting a bye.

Except for 5-A, have 2 champions.

Centextrash
01-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Hurt Reg. IV when Columbia, Sweeny, Needville, Stafford and Liberity Hill went Reg III.

Yes it did. Nothing against region 4, but it DID become weaker, with 3 4 team districts, and only 38 schools. Mark my words, the Region 4 track meet will be Gobbler Relays. It was almost that way already, with Cuero getting most of the wins except for the occasional Wharton/Columbia/Sweeny/Needville/Stafford runner.
It will be worse this year.

...BUT I'll take the final Football outcome!!!!! :clap: :clap: