PDA

View Full Version : To the player that writes the Player Diary....

Jacket2000
09-04-2001, 11:53 PM
You are a disgrace to the game that I love. "Chance to be a superstar", huh? If you wanna be superstar, then play tennis, or something else where you dont have 10 other players on the field that are helluva lot more important than you. You seem to have forgotten that the most important thing in football is the TEAM, not the individual. It doesnt matter if you get 200 yards, or -20, as long as there's a W in the column. Being a superstar should be the least important thing. Ive had several teammates like you in my 12 years of playing, and I can honestly say that that it is the #1 thing that holds a TEAM(there's that word again) down. I just hope that you are not in any leadership position, or if you are, I hope you get an attitude adjustment very quickly...for your TEAM's sake.
J2K
Never underestimate the heart of a champion

[This message has been edited by Jacket2000 (edited September 04, 2001).]

victory11
09-05-2001, 07:25 PM
who is the guy that writes the player diary? just curious. i thought it was good.

Matthew328
09-05-2001, 08:36 PM
Now you know we can't give out that kinda info!!!! LOL

Gobbla2001
09-05-2001, 10:01 PM
I wish I could have been a superstar... Everyone does... The problem isn't being happy to have the chance to be the superstar, the problem takes place when the person 'thinks' they're the superstar and the 'real deal'... He's a QB, when isn't the QB the talk around school? (AKA: the superstar)... I think I would have liked being a superstar....

Specklebelly
09-06-2001, 03:08 PM
Ease up Jacket, the kid is just writing a column for this website. It would be pretty dull if all he said was he's going to go out there and try to win.

Jacket2000
09-06-2001, 03:15 PM
Speckle, you seem to be missing my point. My problem is that the most important thing to him is his own status. He's not nearly as concerned with his team's status as he is with his own. I understand that this is the current trend among young athletes(exculding myself and a few others), but I believe it is the very thing that is ruining the way of life that I love.
J2K
Never underestimate the heart of a champion

bearcat1
09-06-2001, 04:22 PM
imagine what kind of a terrific season they will have with an entire team striving to reach their own individual top performance week in and week out.
bc

Jacket2000
09-06-2001, 04:39 PM
Not a very good one. Here's an example: the QB cant find an open receiver and is under pressure. If he's concerned with his own status, he may take the sack rather than throw it away and lower his rating.

3afan
09-06-2001, 07:00 PM
Jacket-you're an idiot.......taking a sack hurts your stats anyway. Read his other columns and how he continually talks about his teammates and THEIR goals....if you're ognna be stupid, stop posting, oh yeah, you like Wylie so you can't help but be stupid.

Jacket2000
09-06-2001, 07:31 PM
Sorry, the words "my chance to be a superstar" speak for themselves.
...and, if you think Im a Wylie fan, you havent been around very long. All Ive done is get into it with the Wylie fans.
...and one other thing, before you call someone an idiot or stupid, make sure you use spell check first you illiterate twit.

fatcat255
09-06-2001, 08:31 PM
Let's all remember, this is a 17 or 18 year old young man writing the column. I believe his intent was pure an honest, fired by the adrenaline that only a player can feel on a Friday night. His choice of the word "superstar" was surely driven by his desire to perform the best he possibly can on that particular night, the same way all players do when they strap on the helmet and compete one-on-one against the man lined up in front of them. This is just a kid. He wants to do his job, do what is expected of him by his coaches, teammates, friends, family and the ultra-loyal fans at his school. Go easy on him Jacket. If he does perform the way all these people expect him to, then he will receive that "superstar" tag. He may not have used the words properly, but I'll bet all he wants is to get his job done and do it the way everyone, including himself, thinks he ought to.

Specklebelly
09-06-2001, 08:57 PM
Im sorry but if I were this kid's coach then I would have a bigger problem if my QB wasn't trying to be a superstar. He didnt say he wanted to be THE star, he says a star. Joe had Jerry, John had Terrell, Theisman had Riggins. Sorry buddy but someone has to be the star, even in a team sport. Normally in football there is more than one on good teams. John Stockton is a star but are you going to tell me he is a selfish person dishing out tons of assists. Absolutely not. Plus the kid uses "we" and "us" throughout the article. When I was playing I wanted to be a star. I wanted to be the best, some nights I was. That doesnt mean I wasnt a team player. If you try to tell me that you did not want to be a star when you were playing then you are not being truthful with yourself.

Jacket2000
09-06-2001, 11:56 PM
I can honestly say that having my name called or in the paper was never(and still isnt) a priority for me. The perfect example is the OL. All OLmen know that they wont get their name called, they wont show up in the paper, and people wont be talking about them on Saturday morning. Yet, every Friday night, they go out and play their tails off so the QB and the RBs(such as myself) can have their names called. This is why Ive always admired OLmen.
Now, maybe I misinterpreted what the kid was trying to say. I will admitt that I have a sore spot for the "all about me" attitude, so I may be a little quick to judge in that dept. But when a player uses the word "superstar" in reference to himself, I dont see how he could mean anything else.