PDA

View Full Version : Nightspots...

Bullaholic
01-19-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm of an age where I don't frequent the nightspots anymore, but I was just wondering where folks like to go for entertainment at night in their towns.

Back in the day I took in Billy Bob's in FW and the whole "northside" c&w menu. Occassionally I might wander to the "Caravan of Dreams" for some music or "Hyena's" for a little comedy.

I've never been to any of the great Central Texas venues like Grune Hall. Been to a few of the older clubs on 6th St. in Austin in years past.

You younger folks will have to fill me in on the hottest spots nowadays.

Adidas410s
01-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Gruene Hall...one must make at least one trek there (and have dinner at the Grist Mill) in their lifetime. I've done it 3 or 4 times...and it was definitely a euphoric experience each time. :)

DO IT BULL :mad:

Blastoderm55
01-19-2007, 11:32 AM
The Beeville night life includes H-E-B and Wal-Mart. Soon, we shall add Walgreens to the mix.

Damn there's nothing to do in this town. :mad:

Gobbla2001
01-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Used to go to Downtown Bar And Grill in Victoria on Wednesday Nights a lot last year... they'd have Texas Music folks come in and do an acoustic set on air for an hour and then more after that if they felt like it...

biggest person I saw there would have to be Rodney Crowell...

Bullaholic
01-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Gruene Hall...one must make at least one trek there (and have dinner at the Grist Mill) in their lifetime. I've done it 3 or 4 times...and it was definitely a euphoric experience each time. :)

DO IT BULL :mad:

Yea, I really want to make that trip, Adidas---and one of these days, I will.

Lukenbach and Terlingua got famous from Waylon, Willie, and the Boys, but I don't think much music is played there.

I'm sure that College Station and Austin have plenty of favs with the college crowd. I watch "Austin City Limits" on Ch 13 from time to time, so I guess there has to be a venue for it somewhere in Austin.

Concerts don't seem to be all that popular anymore----I come form the "Woodstock" generation when it was a big thing. Not many name bands seem to frequent clubs much anymore. I almost lost my hearing from listening to too many rock bands in night clubs in my college days----lots of Jimi Hendrix and such. Fender stratocasters hooked to Vox Super Beatle amps and rotating Leslie cabinets for the Hammond organs.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Well my favorite spot in San Angelo is Blaines Pub, great country and Texas atmosphere.

Adidas410s
01-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Well my favorite spot in San Angelo is Blaines Pub, great country and Texas atmosphere.

:thumbsup:

The best nights are when Blaine decides to take care of the late night patrons :)

luvhoops34
01-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud

I've been there a time or two...:D

pirate4state
01-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
The Beeville night life includes H-E-B and Wal-Mart. Soon, we shall add Walgreens to the mix.

Damn there's nothing to do in this town. :mad:

LMAO!! There is NOTHING to do in Sinton. You have to drive to Corpus Christi to find a "nightspot" and even then it's a little scary. :eek: :eek:

I'm just happy I don't have to drive all the way to CC to watch a movie. Thank you Portland, TX!! :clap:

carter08
01-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Brazoria has the Armadillo

Gobbla2001
01-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Brazoria has the Armadillo

Aren't they banning the A-Word though?

carter08
01-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Aren't they banning the A-Word though?

Its outside the city limits
City can't do anything

Roger Creager and Kevin Fowler have both played there in the last few wekks, but they changed the entry rules to 21+ with no exceptions.

The smaller bars around the area are better IMO. If you are ever in Brazoria and see Charlie Carter is playing that night, you should go see him. Great show.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
:thumbsup:

The best nights are when Blaine decides to take care of the late night patrons :)

Blaine doesn't own in anymore.:( The new owners are pretty nice though, they take care of people. They got Pat Green to play on a Friday night and lost some money since the place only holds 100 people but they said they did it to pay everyone back for being good patrons. This last summer there was a coaching conference in San Angelo and we went out a few times that week and alot of college and high school coaches frequented Blaines, I don't want to incriminate anyone but we sat down with the Tech and TCU coaching staffs. Hugh Sandifer was in there one night.