PDA

View Full Version : Gonzales Job?

Bull Butter
01-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Is there any one on here with any knowledge about this job? I have heard a couple of friends of mine have applied and I am wondering if they have a chance. One of them is the DC at Port Isabel. He is a Cuero boy and has HC experience in Smithville. I know, Smithville is laughed at on here, but he was the last coach to take them to the playoffs. In fact, he had back-to-back winning seasons there in a very tough district. He has been gone from there for 5 years and they have won exactly 5 games since he left.

AAA87
01-19-2007, 10:59 AM
I played ball in hs with the guy you are talking about, great guy. I guess he is doing great if he wants to get back into the AD stuff.

Dogman_1969
01-19-2007, 12:10 PM
I remember Rockdale beating them in the playoffs in a driving rain storm in Brehnam. He was a good coach and had Sville very tough. Rockdale was lucky to win that one. Cody Burrough had a great game that night and carried Rockdale on his legs running the ball that night.

I wish this guy the best. Class guy.

Dogman

Phil C
01-19-2007, 01:59 PM
What happened to their coach? Strange they would fire a coach that got them to the playoffs.

:confused:

footballgal
01-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Is there any one on here with any knowledge about this job? I have heard a couple of friends of mine have applied and I am wondering if they have a chance. One of them is the DC at Port Isabel. He is a Cuero boy and has HC experience in Smithville. I know, Smithville is laughed at on here, but he was the last coach to take them to the playoffs. In fact, he had back-to-back winning seasons there in a very tough district. He has been gone from there for 5 years and they have won exactly 5 games since he left.

What???! Coach Birchum want's to leave PI??! :(

centexgobbler
01-23-2007, 12:08 PM
I think his mother has been in poor health for the past couple of years. I talked to him over the holidays and he told me how much he and his family like living in PI. Stump and the crew have done a great job down there. I was not given the impression that he wanted to leave. He is just concerned about the health of his mother.

footballgal
01-24-2007, 09:42 AM
We'll family should come first and so that's totally understandable, as to why he would consider the move. I would probably do the same, if I was in his shoes. And Gonzalez is pretty close to Cuero isn't it?

rockdale80
01-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
I remember Rockdale beating them in the playoffs in a driving rain storm in Brehnam. He was a good coach and had Sville very tough. Rockdale was lucky to win that one. Cody Burrough had a great game that night and carried Rockdale on his legs running the ball that night.

I wish this guy the best. Class guy.

Dogman

I think i remember that game;)

We beat them like 35-7 in the regular season. then 14-0 in the post season. They were ready for us the second time around.