PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley Football

gato 76
01-19-2007, 03:23 AM
Can anybody tell me what they record has been for the last 5yrs,how long has their current coach been there,and what type of offense & defense do they run?

TexanAlum_06
01-19-2007, 03:39 AM
Wimberley is 47-16 over the past 5 years. With One undefeated state championship team in 05 and a 12-2 Qaurterfinalist team this year. Weldon Nelms has been the head coach for 5 years. But was previously the HC at Wimberley from 90-94. He has had success everywhere he has been. The offense is a Spread attack with about a 50% balance in pass and run, depends upon what the defense is showing. To my understanding we had the states #2 offense in total yards this year in 3A and 3rd in scoring. The defense is a split or 4-2-5, the OLB's are mainly used for coverage. We had the #1 defense in the state back to back years in 04 and 05 and a Top 10 defense this year. The DC at Wimberley has been with Nelms for I believe 8 years now. Does that help?

gato 76
01-19-2007, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Wimberley is 47-16 over the past 5 years. With One undefeated state championship team in 05 and a 12-2 Qaurterfinalist team this year. Weldon Nelms has been the head coach for 5 years. But was previously the HC at Wimberley from 90-94. The offense is a Spread attack with about a 50% balance in pass and run, depends upon what the defense is showing, The defense is a split or 4-2-5, the OLB's are mainly used for coverage. We had the #1 defense in the state back to back years in 04 and 05. and a Top 10 defense this year. Does that help?

Yes that helps a bunch,heard Weldon Nelms is one of the leading candidates for the Bay City job,along with the O/C from Lamar cons.

GreenMonster
01-19-2007, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Wimberley is 47-16 over the past 5 years. With One undefeated state championship team in 05 and a 12-2 Qaurterfinalist team this year. Weldon Nelms has been the head coach for 5 years. But was previously the HC at Wimberley from 90-94. He has had success everywhere he has been. The offense is a Spread attack with about a 50% balance in pass and run, depends upon what the defense is showing. To my understanding we had the states #2 offense in total yards this year in 3A and 3rd in scoring. The defense is a split or 4-2-5, the OLB's are mainly used for coverage. We had the #1 defense in the state back to back years in 04 and 05 and a Top 10 defense this year. The DC at Wimberley has been with Nelms for I believe 8 years now. Does that help?

If the DC is still Dick Smith then 8 years is wrong. Smith has been with Nelms for the past 4 seasons in Wimberley, 2 seasons in Glen Rose, 6 seasons in Iowa Park, and I know that he was with Nelms for at least 1 season in their first stint in Wimberley. By my count that is at least 13 years together with the possibility of more. Smith is from a tiny town near Brownwood named Santa Anna. They do not even play football there. He's another great guy and a very good football coach.

PS- In case Coach Smith actually reads this, Bowling For Soup- who woulda thunk it?

g$$
01-19-2007, 06:27 AM
OC from Lamar Consolidated?

Zierlein is a finalist? Did not know that if true...

burnet44
01-19-2007, 08:53 AM
santa anna plays 6 man football
they used to play 11 man

maroonpunt
01-19-2007, 09:13 AM
heard at work yesterday that our own head pirate was in blackcat country acouple of days ago in a suit......he is hot commodity.

wedo
01-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$
OC from Lamar Consolidated?

Zierlein is a finalist? Did not know that if true...

Don't know if Zierlein has applied but i know the O/C from WOS has, and the Head man from Wimberley!

Bandera YaYa
01-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by maroonpunt
heard at work yesterday that our own head pirate was in blackcat country acouple of days ago in a suit......he is hot commodity. How so?? :thinking:

BILLYFRED0000
01-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
If the DC is still Dick Smith then 8 years is wrong. Smith has been with Nelms for the past 4 seasons in Wimberley, 2 seasons in Glen Rose, 6 seasons in Iowa Park, and I know that he was with Nelms for at least 1 season in their first stint in Wimberley. By my count that is at least 13 years together with the possibility of more. Smith is from a tiny town near Brownwood named Santa Anna. They do not even play football there. He's another great guy and a very good football coach.

PS- In case Coach Smith actually reads this, Bowling For Soup- who woulda thunk it?

Hey I thought Santa Anna played 6 man. I know they were class
b back in the 70's and played 11 man. But they kind a shrunk some since then.

BILLYFRED0000
01-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Maybe I should read all the posts before I post. Thanks for clearing that up Burnet.

burnet44
01-20-2007, 05:06 PM
np
no disrespect intended

charlesrixey
01-20-2007, 05:10 PM
how does wimberley feel about Nelms actively and openly searching for another job?

he must think now is the time before they fall off a bit next season, but even if that isn't true, that's the first impression i get when a coach decides to leave

TexanAlum_06
01-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah Im curios about that as well. expecially since I have heard him say many times that Wimberley is where he wanted to finish his coaching career.

hawkfan
01-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
how does wimberley feel about Nelms actively and openly searching for another job?

he must think now is the time before they fall off a bit next season, but even if that isn't true, that's the first impression i get when a coach decides to leave

From what Green Monster has said in the past, Nelms usually goes to a few interviews a year to keep his interview skills sharp.

GreenMonster
01-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan
From what Green Monster has said in the past, Nelms usually goes to a few interviews a year to keep his interview skills sharp.

That would be precisely what the man himself told me. He told me that interview skills were one of the most important talents that a coach should have. In this case, I don't think it is so much that he wants to leave Wimberley as much as it is that SLC is the premier job in the state of Texas as far as coaching goes. The man wants to be the best at everything, it's hard to fault him for that. I wish him well and think that SLC would do themselves a disservice if they pass on him.

gold_33
01-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Nelms applied at SLC cause it would be dumb not too, its the premier coaching job in Texas but he wasnt in the top 5 finalists. As for the Bay City job its totally bogus he said he didnt even apply so hes not leaving Wimberley.