PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this weeks Region 3 games

Matthew328
11-19-2002, 11:44 PM
Division I
Cameron Yoe-Jasper: I don't think this week will be as easy for Jasper as last week...Yoe has some talent on both sides of the ball..Pittman has been great in his 3 years for Yoe and he finally has a couple of reliable targets in Knight and Wilcox..speaking of Wilcox he is one of the best DB's in the state..if Yoe keeps the game low scoring and can hang around late then they have a shot..but that is a big if..I think Jasper and their strong defense carry the way..Jasper by 17

Bridge City-Elgin: a very intriguing matchup..Elgin has come on of late led by Isom who is a burner...BC has Peebles who hasn't been stopped by anyone with the exception of Newton..and Jamey Knight has been exceptional both ways for the Cards..if Isom can get some help Elgin has a shot to steal one..but I don't know if Elgin's supportig cast can do it against BC...I'll take the Cards by 15

Division II
Rockdale-Fairfield: Fairfield continues on its amazing turnaround..but they are gonna need more offense this week..their D has been exceptional all season long..however Rockdale and their 1-2 combo of Jared Maldonado and Jamal Williams are playing their best ball of the season...I think Fairfield's D steps up one more time and leads them to a close hard fought win..Fairfield by 5

Liberty-Bellville: on paper this is the biggest mismatch in the region..Liberty pulled the upset last week against Orangefield but Bellville is a totally different animal..BHS is 22-2 the past 2 years..Tim Gobert is as good as any back in the state and Jess Buenger has stepped up and given the Brahmas a passing attack..Bellville by 20

Marlin-Newton: The game of the week in the Region..these 2 met in the 2000 regional semis and Marlin won a classic..look for another this week...both teams seem to be very evenly matched with neither team having any sort of edge...this game is a TOTAL toss up...I really wish I could see this one..I am picking Newton on a hunch..Newton by 1

Coldspring-LaGrange: on paper this looks like a good matchup..9-2 Coldspring 10-1 LaGrange..but I don't think Coldspring stays in this long at all..they haven't played well of late and yes the Trojans and the wishbone are tough but LG's defense may be the best in the state..their offense doesn't blow you away but with their D they only need 10 points and that is enough..LaGrange by 13

trojandad
11-20-2002, 01:45 AM
First off, I think you're definitely picking smart, at least as records would show. Just a word on your reasoning tho.

We have both known that Coldspring's achilles heel this season has been their defense. Thankfully it has really started coming together enough to be ranked well in the area stats, especially passing defense.

I believe our strength comes in matching up with teams that have better defenses than offenses. We have an easier time scoring than stopping scores. This offense has not been held to under 20 in ages (save and except for the Tarkington meltdown, which I'm sure nobody attributes to the Longhorns powerhouse defense, lol). We put 20 on Barbers Hill in a loss, 22 on Liberty's defense that stopped Sauceda (351 total offense on a bad night) and much more on everyone else, including Diboll, ranked in the top 25 at the time. This backfield, a year younger, even put 20 on Rice in three qtrs last yr before subs played. And this was a strong Rice defense that only allowed 20 points two other times, a 21-20 loss to Sealy and a 24-7 loss to Giddings.

If we are there this week as normal, 20 points is done even in bad games by us, even against tough opponents. So maybe the questions is, can they score 4 TD's against our D? I like our chances against tough defensive teams, like LaGrange and Newton. (Did you really mean you feel LaGrange's defense is better than Newton's?)

Anyway, a wise man told me statistics are like bikinis, they may look good, and they may show a lot, but they don't show everything. I think the Trojans have a real shot, and predict that if we don't lose the ball on silly mistakes, we will definitely be on top. Good luck to both teams!

Pudlugger
11-20-2002, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the review Mathew328. I think you have summed things up pretty well. As for La Grange, our offense is alright. We have averaged 29 points per game which isn't bad seeing as we've played some pretty tough defenses: Yoakum; Sealy; Elgin and Columbus to name four. This is the most balanced offense we've had in the past 4 years. They can run or pass the football well. TrojanDad you are right about statistics. The Leps could easily have run up the score on struggling teams like Smithville and Hutto but Coach V held back in the second half and let the reserves have a chance to play. (When the reserves threatened to score at Smithville in the last minute he put the kicker in as tailback. When he ran thirty yards to the two, he had them takes three knees to end the game there). Some teams highly regarded on this board seem to run up the score to 60 or 70 points routinely against such struggling teams. That may make your offense look terrific by the stats, but it discourages kids from playing football in these schools fighting to build some kind of respectable program. I guess what I'm saying is that because a team like Columbus, with one of the best defenses in 3a, holds La Grange to 10 points doesn't mean their offense is not performing. Give credit to the Cardinal defense.

TrojanDad I respect your position and look forward to a competitive, hard and clean fought game. I can't wait for Friday night, it is great to have your team in the play-offs isn't it? :) :) :)

trojandad
11-20-2002, 09:19 AM
Absolutely, Pud. Absolutely. Couldn't be prouder of both bunches. Boys are anxious to be playing the brother of their old coach. LOL

Old Cardinal
11-20-2002, 09:39 AM
Boy, I think you have made a good evaluation. I think Newton will win a little larger unless they have had some injuries during practice this week. They have so little enrollment, that it has an affect on their Playoff potential sometimes. I have seen Jasper play, have you seen Jasper play? I think they will win by 40 points if they want too. I am glad that Cameron Yoe beat Gatesville, I think they had the better team all year. Bridge City had excellent depth; however they have sustained an unusual number of injuries of Seniors that would be playing in the Eighth Playoff game. Tarver, has done everything he could during the season to face this possible situation, under these circumstances, I think your pick is about right. Liberty is hard to pull for, they seem to be a mouthy bunch, if they get a little more discipline and resolve they might play a good game.