PDA

View Full Version : Bailiff to Rice

cl1481
01-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Just heard on the news and confirmed it at chron.com that David Bailiff from Texas State was hired as Rice HC.

Bull Butter
01-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Wow!

Great for Bailiff. He's going into a program that Todd Graham had headed in the right direction.

g$$
01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Just heard that too. He is a Fran clone & former asst. coach with him, but he did do a good job at Texas State. Decent hire for Rice.

BU97
01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
I know that there are some Texas State people that aren't sad to hear that.

Bull Butter
01-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Bailiff is a great guy and has a lot of character. I'm not sure how good of a HC he is. At Texas St. he basically had that one great season where Barrick Nealy took the team on his back and led them to the 1-AA Semis. The other 2 seasons were both 5-6

g$$
01-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by BU97
I know that there are some Texas State people that aren't sad to hear that.

Did he pull a Fran & rub some people wrong? He seems kinda abrasive, a la Fran, but I do not know him. Nealy did carry him 2 years ago.

cl1481
01-18-2007, 08:12 PM
As an alum of Texas State I have not heard anything bad about him. From what I hear, it is rumored he is going from $150k at Texas St to $400k at Rice.

g$$
01-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by cl1481
As an alum of Texas State I have not heard anything bad about him. From what I hear, it is rumored he is going from $150k at Texas St to $500k at Rice.

Good $$, & a really tough gig in football at Rice. It takes a special coach & person to win in football at Rice. So many things are working against you (academics, facilities, funding, pro town, attendance, apathy, etc.). Best of luck to him.

JR2004
01-18-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm sure there's plenty of Texas State fans who are more than happy to see him go. Nealy was the sole reason that team made the semi-finals 2 years ago. Heck Bailiff is the reason they didn't win that game. Never seen a coach crawl up into the fetal position quite like he did at the end of that game on his HOME FIELD. That was just embarrassing to watch him cost his team like that.

g$$
01-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I'm sure there's plenty of Texas State fans who are more than happy to see him go. Nealy was the sole reason that team made the semi-finals 2 years ago. Heck Bailiff is the reason they didn't win that game. Never seen a coach crawl up into the fetal position quite like he did at the end of that game on his HOME FIELD. That was just embarrassing to watch him cost his team like that.

He sure did, as he had a chance to win that game in regulation & played scared. He had better facilities at Texas State (even with improvements at Rice). Tough job at Rice to win in football.

Baseball, different story. Wayne Graham has proved that!