** = assuming that Brookshire beat Sealy

Friday's Games
Columbia @ Stafford
Brookshire @ Wharton
Needville @ Sweeny
Sealy @ Columbus

themsu97
01-18-2007, 03:17 PM
not surprising that a kid related to a horlica has nothing better to do than follow 24-3a basketball...;)

neck_06
01-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
not surprising that a kid related to a horlica has nothing better to do than follow 24-3a basketball...;)

hey, its been cold up here, all i've had to do is stay indoors.......and its horelica. ;)

tigerpride_08
01-18-2007, 04:47 PM
looks like we'll be without our starting point guard again...:(

themsu97
01-18-2007, 04:50 PM
I know how it is spelled, I just mispelled it...

g$$
01-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Sweeny better string some wins together quickly or baseball starts earlier than expected for some! Good race...

BU97
01-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
looks like we'll be without our starting point guard again...:(

I think that Odis is the point guard and Jordan plays the 2.

neck_06
01-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Neck_06's Picks

Columbia @ Stafford

This is probably the game of the week in district 24-3A with both teams needing a win to keep pace with district leader Wharton (6-0). The Roughnecks (4-2) are coming off a brutal loss to Needville where they were outplayed in every aspect of the game. Stafford (4-2) may also still be reeling after their shocking loss to Brookshire Royal a week ago that knocked them down into 3rd place. I look for this to be a fast paced run-and-gun game, once again the key for Columbia is to get their post (Rick Gamboa) going early and also to have consistent guard play from the twins (Jason & Justin Scott). I look for the Roughnecks to bounce back from their loss and take a close one from Stafford by 10.

Brookshire Royal @ Wharton

This match-up is very intriguing to me…Wharton (6-0) is riding a six game district winning streak, but is without their offensive leader (#5). Brookshire (3-3) on the other hand has been the surprise of the district thus far, they have defeated both Stafford and Sweeny and only lost to Columbia by 1. Brookshire brings a lot of athletes to the table and on any given night they can stay with any team in the district. My gut tells me that that night is Friday and that the game will be a lot closer than many people may think, but with all that said I still have to take Wharton at home in a close one by 10.

Needville @ Sweeny

This match-up is always a good one, no matter what the sport…and this one doesn’t disappoint. Needville is 4-2 and coming off a huge win over Columbia at home where they played flawless basketball. Sweeny is much better than their 2-4 district record; they have been in a lot of close contests and just haven’t been able to pull them out in the end. I expect this to be a physical, low scoring game. Sweeny needs to get consistent play from their guards (Young, Flores, Hooker) and their bruisers on the inside (Carder & Williams) to control the glass. As usual I expect Needville to travel well and come out and play inspired basketball; they are going to have to play another flawless game if they want to survive on the road. I’m going to take Sweeny by 5 as my upset pick of the week.

Sealy @ Columbus

This match-up is a lot like when the Tampa Bay Bucs & the Cleveland Browns get together…no one really cares. But don’t tell that to Sealy and Columbus, this game might be the biggest of the year for these two teams as neither wants to finish in the cellar of district 24-3A. I’m going with Sealy by 15…many people might think that I’m crazy, but go and look at Sealy’s losses: by 12 to Columbia, 10 to Brookshire, 12 to Needville, 10 to Stafford, 12 or so to Sweeny, and 43 to Wharton…take away the Wharton game and they have been in every game in the fourth quarter. So once again, Sealy by 15.

g$$
01-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
Neck_06's Picks

Columbia @ Stafford

This is probably the game of the week in district 24-3A with both teams needing a win to keep pace with district leader Wharton (6-0). The Roughnecks (4-2) are coming off a brutal loss to Needville where they were outplayed in every aspect of the game. Stafford (4-2) may also still be reeling after their shocking loss to Brookshire Royal a week ago that knocked them down into 3rd place. I look for this to be a fast paced run-and-gun game, once again the key for Columbia is to get their post (Rick Gamboa) going early and also to have consistent guard play from the twins (Jason & Justin Scott). I look for the Roughnecks to bounce back from their loss and take a close one from Stafford by 10.

Brookshire Royal @ Wharton

This match-up is very intriguing to me…Wharton (6-0) is riding a six game district winning streak, but is without their offensive leader (#5). Brookshire (3-3) on the other hand has been the surprise of the district thus far, they have defeated both Stafford and Sweeny and only lost to Columbia by 1. Brookshire brings a lot of athletes to the table and on any given night they can stay with any team in the district. My gut tells me that that night is Friday and that the game will be a lot closer than many people may think, but with all that said I still have to take Wharton at home in a close one by 10.

Needville @ Sweeny

This match-up is always a good one, no matter what the sport…and this one doesn’t disappoint. Needville is 4-2 and coming off a huge win over Columbia at home where they played flawless basketball. Sweeny is much better than their 2-4 district record; they have been in a lot of close contests and just haven’t been able to pull them out in the end. I expect this to be a physical, low scoring game. Sweeny needs to get consistent play from their guards (Young, Flores, Hooker) and their bruisers on the inside (Carder & Williams) to control the glass. As usual I expect Needville to travel well and come out and play inspired basketball; they are going to have to play another flawless game if they want to survive on the road. I’m going to take Sweeny by 5 as my upset pick of the week.

Sealy @ Columbus

This match-up is a lot like when the Tampa Bay Bucs & the Cleveland Browns get together…no one really cares. But don’t tell that to Sealy and Columbus, this game might be the biggest of the year for these two teams as neither wants to finish in the cellar of district 24-3A. I’m going with Sealy by 15…many people might think that I’m crazy, but go and look at Sealy’s losses: by 12 to Columbia, 10 to Brookshire, 12 to Needville, 10 to Stafford, 12 or so to Sweeny, and 43 to Wharton…take away the Wharton game and they have been in every game in the fourth quarter. So once again, Sealy by 15.

Hey, if that baseball gig doesn't work out, then you may have a future at this stuff. Good analysis!

Sweeny is nearing must-win territory at 2-4 to make the playoffs at all. They need to go minimum 6-2 to have a shot more than likely (so 8-6 maybe 3rd place??)

neck_06
01-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Hey, if that baseball gig doesn't work out, then you may have a future at this stuff. Good analysis!

Sweeny is nearing must-win territory at 2-4 to make the playoffs at all. They need to go minimum 6-2 to have a shot more than likely (so 8-6 maybe 3rd place??)

thanks g$$, i've given that a thought. i'm a communications major so i can go into alot of different fields.....

yeah, sweeny needs to win this week, if they don't they may be out of it early.

g$$
01-18-2007, 08:51 PM
thanks g$$, i've given that a thought. i'm a communications major so i can go into alot of different fields.....

yeah, sweeny needs to win this week, if they don't they may be out of it early.

Sweeny just turns the ball over too much, period. Hard to win that way. Far cry from the good ol' days of the 3/4 titles (should have won 4 straight & choked) in the '80s, but we had some serious talent under the tutelage of Coach Miksch & Washington. I got a ring out of it! The girls went to State many times too & lost 6/9 years in the Finals. Jerry English had a juggernaut going in Sweeny & eventually won a title (maybe 2?) at Dripping Springs.

Coach Hooker (2nd year) is a good man & works hard. He deserves a chance to get his system in place. I am rooting for him to succeed. Serious junior high talent is on the way.

Neck_06: I read your bio & it said teacher/coach. Communications major now huh? True, you can go a lot of different ways with that one.

tigerpride_08
01-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by BU97
I think that Odis is the point guard and Jordan plays the 2.

well our guys filled in pretty nice against Sweeny so i expect them to still key in on the district Championship and #5 will be back and ready for the playoffs...from already talking to him today he's already waiting for playoffs...;)

maestro
01-18-2007, 10:26 PM
neck 06.....enjoy the predictions.....

you have a good feeling about this district..

the race is a marathon race , not a sprint.....

sweeny and columbia will crawl back into the race.....

and royal h.s. has been known for serious hoops now for sometime...

so.......enjoy the games fans!!!!

support your student/athletes........

BU97
01-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
well our guys filled in pretty nice against Sweeny so i expect them to still key in on the district Championship and #5 will be back and ready for the playoffs...from already talking to him today he's already waiting for playoffs...;)

With a 14 game schedule, we are nowhere near the playoffs. If we start looking to the playoffs too soon, we'll look past some people and get beat and we'll be watching them play instead of us! We need to finish out the first half perfect and get ready for the second half.

When will Jordan be back?

tigerpride_08
01-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by BU97
With a 14 game schedule, we are nowhere near the playoffs. If we start looking to the playoffs too soon, we'll look past some people and get beat and we'll be watching them play instead of us! We need to finish out the first half perfect and get ready for the second half.

When will Jordan be back?

he will be out for at least 4 weeks...

neck_06
01-20-2007, 12:19 AM
Sweeny 71
Needville 60

for the second week in a row my upset pick came true...big win for sweeny.

Neck_06's Pick = Sweeny by 5

neck_06
01-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Wharton 49
Brookshire 33

Brookshire kept it close, but a 2 point third quarter killed them.

Neck_06's Pick = Wharton by 10

Centextrash
01-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Good picks... Did you do this during FB also?

I like reading this and keeping up with the old area...not that I would know jack squat about B-ball...

neck_06
01-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Stafford 43
Columbia 42

Big home win for Stafford...Columbia needs a win against Sealy tuesday to get back on track.

Neck_06's Pick = Columbia by 10

neck_06
01-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Centextrash
Good picks... Did you do this during FB also?

I like reading this and keeping up with the old area...not that I would know jack squat about B-ball...

no, i didn't really know much about the football teams this year (didn't get to watch many games), but i've seen most of the teams in the district play with the exception of Needville & Sealy.

I might do this next year in football.....haven't really decided yet, i guess i've got a while.

neck_06
01-20-2007, 12:36 AM
I don't have the Sealy/Columbus score, but here how the standings look after the first round of district play:

District 24-3A

Wharton 7-0
Stafford 5-2
Needville 4-3
Columbia 4-3
Brookshire 3-4
Sweeny 3-4
Sealy 1-6
Columbus 1-6

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-20-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't have the Sealy/Columbus score, but here how the standings look after the first round of district play:

**i'll add in Sealy and Columbus once i have a score**

Sealy 44
Columbus 43

neck_06
01-20-2007, 04:03 PM
alright, i went 3-1 this week....Columbia was the only team that let me down.

Neck_06 Overall Pick em' Record = 7-1

SealyLB73
01-21-2007, 01:40 AM
I know that Sealy beat Brookshire in a make up game on Saturday . Not sure about the score, just thought I'd let you know.

tigerpride_08
01-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Our team is sitting pretty good right now...hopefully they keep it up...:clap:

neck_06
01-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by SealyLB73
I know that Sealy beat Brookshire in a make up game on Saturday . Not sure about the score, just thought I'd let you know.

i didn't realize that! ok, here are the revised and updated standings:

District 24-3A

Wharton 7-0
Stafford 5-2
Needville 4-3
Columbia 4-3
Sweeny 3-4
Sealy 2-5
Brookshire 2-5
Columbus 1-6