PDA

View Full Version : List of Southlake Applicants

kaorder1999
01-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Carroll set to determine coaching finalists

12:59 PM CST on Thursday, January 18, 2007
By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News

A six-person committee will meet at 2:30 p.m. Thursday to decide the finalists for the job of football head coach at Southlake Carroll. Twenty-eight persons applied for the job, said Derek Citty, Carroll ISD chief personnel officer.

Seven of the 28 are from out of state, Citty said, and most whom applied are high school football head coaches. Citty said Carroll hopes to name a head coach by the end of next week after a round of interviews early next week with each finalist.

The job posting requested that those whom applied have at least Class 4A or 5A assistant or head coaching football experience, Citty said. Carroll accepted applications through Tuesday.

A six-person committee consisting of Citty, Carroll ISD superintendent David Faltys, athletic director Ronnie Tipps, Carroll Senior High principal Daniel Presley, Carroll High principal Rick Westfall and booster club president Jack Luna will select the finalists.

Here are the 28 who applied for the job, according to Citty:

John Addicks: Athletic director/head coach, Lake Hill Preparatory

Edward Arledge: Head coach/boys athletic coordinator, Clear Brook

Gabriel Alvarado: Defensive coordinator, George Jenkins, Lakeland, Fla.

R.J. Bond: Head coach, DeLay Middle School, Lewisville

James Brown: Athletic coordinator/head coach, Brazosport

Mike Burzawa: Head coach, Driscoll Catholic, Addison, Ill.

Lonnie Cook: Head coach, Holy Trinity Catholic, Temple, Texas

Kevin Ellison: Varsity assistant coach, Pflugerville Connally

Bryan Erwin: Athletic coordinator/head coach, La Marque

Clint Finley: Defensive coordinator/QB coach, Schulenburg

Rod Fuhrmann: Head coach, New Waverly

Vance Gibson: Head coach, Frisco

Tony Heath: Head coach, Pearland

Tyrone Hughes: Assistant coach, Dallas Jesuit

Kevin Kopecky: Head coach, St. Thomas Aquinas, Overland Park, Kan.

Eugene Lockhart: Former Cowboys linebacker

Dennis Lorio: Assistant coach, Parkview Baptist School, Baton Rouge, La.

Todd McVey: Former head coach, McKinney

Eli Melton: Varsity assistant coach, Southlake Carroll

Weldon Nelms: Athletic director/head coach, Wimberley

Phil Pettey: Former NFL and collegiate assistant coach, former NFL player

Johnny Ringo: Head coach, Plano East

David San Juan: Assistant coach, Allen D. Nease, St. Augustine, Fla.

Mike Sneed: Former head coach, Weatherford

Blaine Springston: Athletic director/head coach, Andrews

John Ullrich: Head coach, Life School of Oak Cliff

Nathan Washington: Enterprise Car Sales of Idaho/Utah group finance manager; hasn't worked as a coach since 1999

Hal Wasson: Head coach, Keller Fossil Ridge

The job came open in mid-December when Todd Dodge announced he was leaving to become coach at North Texas. Over his last five years at Carroll, Dodge built the football program into one of the nation’s best by going 79-1 and winning four Class 5A state titles.

kaorder1999
01-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Eugene Lockhart? haha

Adidas410s
01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
So Nelms did apply...interesting indeed.

What was this middle coach thinking???

R.J. Bond: Head coach, DeLay Middle School, Lewisville

kaorder1999
01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Nathan Washington: Enterprise Car Sales of Idaho/Utah group finance manager; hasn't worked as a coach since 1999

CenTexSports
01-18-2007, 02:22 PM
How many of the above have won state championships. It looks like at least three: Sneed, Nelms, & Erwin.

burnet44
01-18-2007, 02:24 PM
erwin went to flower mound marcus

kaorder1999
01-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
erwin went to flower mound marcus
its not official is it?

kaorder1999
01-18-2007, 02:25 PM
anybody who thinks Hal Wasson doesnt get this job is crazy! ;)

pirate4state
01-18-2007, 02:27 PM
HaHa: Johnny Ringo: Head coach, Plano East

Tombstone :cool:

"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave." - Doc Holliday :D :D

Phil C
01-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave." - Doc Holliday :D :D

This is the only known photograph of the Johnny Ringo from the Doc Holliday era.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/13/JRingo.jpg/250px-JRingo.jpg

kaorder1999
01-18-2007, 02:45 PM
http://mud.mm-a8.yimg.com/image/4270426408

Hal Wasson will get job

44INAROW
01-18-2007, 02:53 PM
I am just curious - is the Booster Club prez being on "the selecting board" a common practice?

kaorder1999
01-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I am just curious - is the Booster Club prez being on "the selecting board" a common practice?
yeah...ive heard of it before. Most schools put together a selction committee (booster club member, parent, teacher, community member) and sit in on the first round of interviews. Then the finalists that are chosen go before the Sup and Board

kaorder1999
01-18-2007, 02:59 PM
actually ...i just read the article...the fact that he is the ONLY non school employee seems kind of weird

bobcat1
01-18-2007, 03:02 PM
I think Lockhart is a Shoe-In for the job! :p

Phil C
01-18-2007, 03:06 PM
This is a biography of the Johnny Ringo that was in the Doc Holliday era. They don't know how he died. He might have been murdered, or died in a shotout or a suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Ringo

DU_stud04
01-18-2007, 03:07 PM
i guess they didnt take my application seriously..... :(

Phil C
01-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i guess they didnt take my application seriously..... :(

Don't worry DU. That is their loss.

themsu97
01-18-2007, 03:13 PM
with Johnny RIngo and Doc Holiday there are a lot of unknowns... as well as the Clanton gang... as there are many holes to what actually happened at the OK Corral...

GreenMonster
01-18-2007, 04:26 PM
If Nelms makes the last round he will give Wasson more than he wants in the interview process. It may be about who you know in that business but charisma plays a huge role in getting the kids out of the classroom and onto the field of play. Nelms has that little something extra that few men have, he's a true and genuine natural leader of men. If he's able to get himself locked into a room with only the board and the Super he'll have that job before he leaves that room if that's what he really wants.

Adidas410s
01-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
If Nelms makes the last round he will give Wasson more than he wants in the interview process. It may be about who you know in that business but charisma plays a huge role in getting the kids out of the classroom and onto the field of play. Nelms has that little something extra that few men have, he's a true and genuine natural leader of men. If he's able to get himself locked into a room with only the board and the Super he'll have that job before he leaves that room if that's what he really wants.

as long as their mind isn't already made up on Wasson...then he has as good of a chance as anybody else on that list.

carter08
01-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Tony Heath: Head coach, Pearland
James Brown: Athletic coordinator/head coach, Brazosport

2 Brazoria County coaches
I wish Heath would get the job
Brown has no hope

TexanAlum_06
01-18-2007, 04:42 PM
If it is clearly an open race, and the board isnt biased against smaller school coaches, Nelms has as good as a chance as anybody on that list. Outstanding coach and Person.

injuredinmelee
01-18-2007, 05:06 PM
I really find this list sort of humorous. Not quite as wide sought job as i anticipated. MY top two choices would be Wasson and Nelms but just because I know him, he has won everywhere (not at the SLC level of big wins but how many coaches have Dodge's record) and he is just a great guy.

injuredinmelee
01-18-2007, 05:22 PM
the jr high coach... Jim Ned hired their last coach from a Jr. High in Amarillo area. He had previous H.C experience however but had been at the J.H. position for like 4 years. (Supt of Jim Ned's College Roommate)

hawkfan
01-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Well said. My biggest fear is that they have already made thier mind up with Wasson. If Nelms gets the job, I might take a shot in the dark and send my resume in. But there the best job I could get probably is assistant janitor.

wedo
01-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Bryan Erwin from La Marque would fit in well at SLC! His teams at LM have all gone to at least the Quaterfinals every year, with 2 state championships. And he has a great offensive playbook that would fit in at SLC!

g$$
01-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

I know him & the family - his dad (Al, now retired) coached me & many others in Sweeny for years. He & his wife Fran now live in Hallettsville. Good family, & Johnny has been around at places like Westlake, etc. Walked on at Texas as a WR. Good coach.

Wasson's job to lose, agreed.

BU97
01-18-2007, 07:47 PM
So how many of those are really serious?

Nelms, Ringo, Wasson, Heath are the only ones that I'd pay attention to. Erwin would be except for the fact that I hear that he is headed to FM Marcus.

So after seeing this list, I'd say that it is a slam dunk that Wasson will get the job. He was the first name that I mentioned when I heard that Dodge was headed to UNT.

BTW Hal game me my first job out of college so I really hope that he gets it!

dogdad
01-18-2007, 07:54 PM
has Nelms coached at the 4A or 5A level?

GreenMonster
01-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
has Nelms coached at the 4A or 5A level? No, nothing above 3A. Was an assistant at 5A Lubbock Monterrey (I think that's the right Lubbock school) for a few seasons in the 80's.

charlesrixey
01-18-2007, 08:02 PM
I think Hal Wasson would be the mostly likely candidate, since he was an assistant coach there for several years and certainly knows the system.

How is nelms eligible if he has never coached above 3A?

wouldn't it be suicide for these coaches to have their names posted like this? I don't care if it is southlake, school administrators wouldn't like that

olddawggreen
01-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
This is a biography of the Johnny Ringo that was in the Doc Holliday era. They don't know how he died. He might have been murdered, or died in a shotout or a suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Ringo

Doc Holiday killed him, I saw it myself on the TV:nerd: :D

charlesrixey
01-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Wasn't that in tombstone?

wow, how the thread turns!

dogdad
01-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
I think Hal Wasson would be the mostly likely candidate, since he was an assistant coach there for several years and certainly knows the system.

wouldn't it be suicide for these coaches to have their names posted like this? I don't care if it is southlake, school administrators wouldn't like that

I think it is total BS that this list of applicants has been published. From what I heard, the Dallas Morning News pulled a request of public info. on SLC to get hold of the list. People should be able to expect confidentiality when applying for a job up to the point of being a finalist.

olddawggreen
01-18-2007, 08:16 PM

At this time SLC High Schools have over 430 kids in their offseason football program. There were 84 on varsity last season. Getting the kids on the field hasn't been a problem. I personally think it will be Wasson, but things happen and there are some very good coaches on the list. We should know soon enough.

charlesrixey
01-18-2007, 08:19 PM
that's true--with a team that is 79-1 in 5A, is turnout going to be a problem any time in the near future?

Cameron Crazy
01-18-2007, 08:20 PM
So who do you think will get this job?

olddawggreen
01-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
I think it is total BS that this list of applicants has been published. From what I heard, the Dallas Morning News pulled a request of public info. on SLC to get hold of the list. People should be able to expect confidentiality when applying for a job up to the point of being a finalist.

I agree dogdad, coaches aside, none of us would appreciate having our names put in the paper when were applying for a job. I guess thats one of the down sides of being a public servant, but it does suck.

JR2004
01-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Unless the selection committee shows up drunk and starts drawing names out of a hat, this job should be going to Wasson as KA already stated.

Matthew328
01-18-2007, 09:16 PM
I can't fathom anyone else but Wasson getting the job.....Sneed from Weatherford has two state titles..but they are at arch rival Grapevine....so I doubt he gets the job..

g$$
01-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

Didn't it say that experience at the 4A or 5A levels was required? That does not necessarily mean HC experience right, but preferred? Nelms has coaching experience (asst.) above 3A I believe in addition to his HC success at Wimberley. That's the way I read it anyway, so he would be eligible.

from DMN article:
"The job posting requested that those whom applied have at least Class 4A or 5A assistant or head coaching football experience, Citty said. Carroll accepted applications through Tuesday."

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-18-2007, 10:12 PM
id like to see G.A. Moore come out of retirement for this one. I bet he would get the job hands down.

charlesrixey
01-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
id like to see G.A. Moore come out of retirement for this one. I bet he would get the job hands down.

me too, except the play calling might be a teensy different!

kaorder1999
01-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02

are you serious? He wouldnt have a chance for that job.

dogdad
01-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
are you serious? He wouldnt have a chance for that job.

no chance at all

but I would like to see him line up in the 10-1 defense at the 5A level

kaorder1999
01-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Nowadays, getting a big job like this one is all about who you know. This is Hal Wasson's job. It's almost not even fair but that is just the way it is nowadays in the coaching business!

kaorder1999
01-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Eli Melton, Southlake Assistant applied

I didnt even notice that!