PDA

View Full Version : Mustain to Oklahoma???

Adidas410s
01-18-2007, 01:56 PM
ESPN is reporting that former Arkansas QB Mitch Mustain (the #1 QB recruit in the country last year) has scheduled a recruiting trip to Oklahoma. He's said to also be considering Louisville and Tulsa but that the Sooners are at the top of his list.

Adidas410s
01-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Mitch Mustain is considering transferring to one of three schools, according to ESPN.com and KTUL in Tulsa, Okla.

Mustain is looking at Louisville and Oklahoma according to ESPN.com, while KTUL reported Wednesday on its Web site that Mustain would likely follow former Arkansas offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn to the University of Tulsa.

Tulsa officials have denied any contact with Mustain.

Louisville is coming off one of its most successful seasons in school history, posting an 12-1 mark and earning a win in the Orange Bowl over Wake Forest. The Cardinals lost their head coach Bobby Petrino to the NFL's Atlanta Falcons, but named former Tulsa coach Steve Kragthorpe as his replacement.

Oklahoma finished its season 10-3, losing to Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. Both the Cardinals and Sooners have starting quarterbacks in tact, both of whom will be seniors in 2007.

Mustain will be forced to sit out one year wherever he decides to transfer to.

Tulsa will also be returning a senior quarterback in 2007, leaving the possibility for Mustain to start in 2008 at any of the three schools.

Tulsa hired Malzahn Tuesday as its co-offensive coordinator.

Mustain finished his 2006 season going 69-of-132 for 894 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Mustain also finished his Razorback career with an 8-0 record as a starter.

Phil C
01-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Hey Ad you don't think all this with Bomar, Snead and now Mustain will start a trend with transfers do you? You know now instead of recruiting recruits the schools will recruit stars for transfers - within the back rooms er uh I mean within the recruiting and transfer laws of the NCAA of course. :)

Adidas410s
01-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey Ad you don't think all this with Bomar, Snead and now Mustain will start a trend with transfers do you? You know now instead of recruiting recruits the schools will recruit stars for transfers - within the back rooms er uh I mean within the recruiting and transfer laws of the NCAA of course. :)

My only thought about that is the player still has to sit out a year and that is a big deterrent to anybody who has realistic NFL expectations. If they want to come out after 3 years of school...they would really only have 1 year of work for scouts to evaluate them on if they go somewhere their frosh year...then sit out the transfer year...then play their 3rd year. While it does seem like we've seen an increase in big name transfers lately, it's not really that new of an idea.

- Troy Aikman from OU to UCLA
- Brandon Stewart (from Stephenville) from Tennessee to Texas A&M...something about a guy named Manning was recruited there at the same time.

I'm drawing a blank on a few others at this second...but this isn't some shocking trend that we haven't seen before.

AggieJohn
01-18-2007, 02:46 PM
he'll still have to sit out a year right?

coach
01-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
he'll still have to sit out a year right?

yes there are only certain situations where you dont have to sit out a year but yeah he will have to sit out

injuredinmelee
01-18-2007, 05:12 PM
the only way he can play next season is by going to a DII school right? But he also has to be released from his scholarship at his current school.

WildTexan
01-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech's backup (Todd) is moving on as well....appears he will go small school for a year then back to D1....

luvhoops34
01-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Why does he want to transfer? I thought Arkansas had a really successful season.

AggieJohn
01-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by coach
yes there are only certain situations where you dont have to sit out a year but yeah he will have to sit out well i know if he transferred to any D1-AA or D2 or D3 he wouldn't, but this is so rare

TexanAlum_06
01-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Why does he want to transfer? I thought Arkansas had a really successful season. Well I know his parents had a run-in with the AD and questioned the thought of the offense moving to a power running style with the emergence of Darren Mcfadden. And supposedly it didnt set to well with his parents. and the starting QB Casey Dick is only a Sophmore. So it is probably a mix between that and Mustain doesnt want to have to compete for the job. IMO Mustain is better then Dick, IDK why dick was even the starting QB. but I dont know. I imagine more details will surface in the next couple of days.

g$$
01-18-2007, 07:15 PM
He will end up at OU, good fit & in dire need of qb depth (if he accepts Stoops' style of offense, which is not pass happy anymore). Louisville 2nd, & Tulsa 3rd to me (but his hs coach Malzahn is there now).

In D1-A football, a transfer must sit out 1 year if transferring D1-A to D1-A (after scholarship release). He could transfer down & be eligible immediately. Baseball is different - if released from scholarship, player is eligible immediately at D1 schools.
(Incoming recruits in football can transfer with NO penalty if the head coach leaves before they enroll in school, but not current players already on campus.)

Transfers have gone on forever, now we just hear about it more due to media coverage. Mustain & his parents did not like the direction of the offense & he wants to throw the ball more.

c-town_balla
01-18-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm thinkin he will go to Tulsa since that is where his old high school coach went to be the OC

mwynn05
01-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Why does he want to transfer? I thought Arkansas had a really successful season. The Springdale kids are cry babies.....they were whining before the bowl game one transferred to USC already than their coach (came form springdale to u of a with them) left for tulsa

charlesrixey
01-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Not totally surprising that he would want to go to another top program that just happened to have a complete opening at quarterback with a really good defense

charlesrixey
01-18-2007, 07:53 PM
oops! forgot he would have to sit out a year! so much for that argument!

tigerpride_08
01-18-2007, 08:55 PM
i think going to Oklahoma would be a good move for him...

LH Panther Mom
01-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Well I know his parents had a run-in with the AD and questioned the thought of the offense moving to a power running style with the emergence of Darren Mcfadden. And supposedly it didnt set to well with his parents.
Oh, GMAB! If that's it, I can only say :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: .

Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
and the starting QB Casey Dick is only a Sophmore. So it is probably a mix between that and Mustain doesnt want to have to compete for the job. IMO Mustain is better then Dick, IDK why dick was even the starting QB. but I dont know. I imagine more details will surface in the next couple of days.
It's amazing to me to think that some of these kids don't expect there to be competition. Do they not realize that a scholarship does not equal starting position?

It'll be interesting to hear the follow-up info.

g$$
01-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Mustain started 8 games as a true freshman & did ok. Dick started some too & another guy started the 1st game (Johnson). Mustain wants to throw the ball a lot. He "felt" deceived by what he was told in the recruiting process. Don't know him, but sounds like a baby & not a true competitor. Good riddance.