PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Question....

Bullaholic
01-18-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't watch a lot of "American Idol", but I did sit down and watch the 2hr show last night. After watching, I was sort of stricken by some of the same thoughts (May God forgive me) as expressed by Rosie O'Donnell and put up on my friend Barry Green's Blog about the conduct of the judges when reacting to some contestants:

I didn't see it, but last night this went down on American Idol:

Simon said to the man, “You look a little odd. The dancing is terrible. The singing was horrendous and you look like one of those creatures that live in the jungle with those massive eyes. What do they call them? Bush babies.”

Paula calls Simon “sick” and tells the man that he was good and blah blah blah, but as soon as he leaves she starts laughing at him along with Simon and Randy.

And Rosie fires off this on The View this morning:

“Isn’t that what America thinks is entertainment? To make fun of someone’s physical appearance and then when they leave the room laugh hysterically at them? Three millionaires, one probably intoxicated….”

Seems like the AI producers want more of a "Gong Show" feel for AI, and if that produces the ratings, they go for it.

44INAROW
01-18-2007, 12:11 PM
We watched Tues and Weds as well - 1st timers like you - while we sat in the privacy of our living rooms laughing, it did "bother" me that Simon talked to that guy like that. I haven't watched TIVO of THe View in 2 days due to "The Big Chill" coverage on all the networks - hopefully things are back to normal today on the networks............

Blastoderm55
01-18-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm under the impression that some of the goofballs who audition are actually paid to perform so horribly, in addition to their quirky appearances. Believing such, I find no problem in laughing heartily at their ridicule. I could be completely wrong, but I sure hope that people wouldn't be so delusional to go out in front of a national audience and make complete fools of themselves unless they were doing so because of compensation or just a desire to be on TV by whatever means necessary.

Personally, I thought that little guy looked like Gollum.

http://www.chargedmultimedia.com/exanimo/images/gollum.jpg

CenTexSports
01-18-2007, 12:20 PM
This is the sixth season. Don't you think the people that go up there have watched the show before? If they are offended then it is their fault for participating. I don't watch but I read this morning that the first show this week had more viewers than all the rest of the broadcast networks combined during this time slot. You don;t think the people watch to hear good singing do you?

Don't be so thin skined, these "contestants" know what can be said and they usually get what they deserve.

Ranger Mom
01-18-2007, 12:27 PM
We had a girl in Greenwood try out 2 years ago....she was WAY better than 98% of the people who I saw the past 2 nights.

She never made it past the prelim judges to even sing for Randy, Paula and Simon.

They are all screened before someone else before they are let through to the "real" judges.

These people know what they are in for, and I think a great deal of them know they have no chance, they just want their 15 minutes of fame and a shot at Simon!

Bullaholic
01-18-2007, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blastoderm55
[B]I'm under the impression that some of the goofballs who audition are actually paid to perform so horribly, in addition to their quirky appearances. Believing such, I find no problem in laughing heartily at their ridicule. I could be completely wrong, but I sure hope that people wouldn't be so delusional to go out in front of a national audience and make complete fools of themselves unless they were doing so because of compensation or just a desire to be on TV by whatever means necessary.

[QUOTE]

I agree, blast, I'm sure the producers counseled all of these performers about what to expect from the judges and they were compensated and I'm sure had to sign a release, but it is the entertainment "appetite" of the American viewer that concerns me. Where are we going here----back to the Christians and the lions? I am not a "bleeding heart" , but I see the "championing" of the "I am beautiful and cool, and you're not" mentality as a primary contributor to the intolerable situation that many less than physically beautiful kids face everyday in school and by many such adults in the workplace.

pirate4state
01-18-2007, 12:30 PM
This is why I don't watch. All these contestants should be embarrassed. Hell, the few times I've tuned in I've been embarrassed for them. I mean, literally cringed!!! :hairpunk:

I don't need Simon & his band of idiots to help me make fun of people. :devil: :eek: :D

Ranger Mom
01-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blastoderm55
[B]I'm under the impression that some of the goofballs who audition are actually paid to perform so horribly, in addition to their quirky appearances. Believing such, I find no problem in laughing heartily at their ridicule. I could be completely wrong, but I sure hope that people wouldn't be so delusional to go out in front of a national audience and make complete fools of themselves unless they were doing so because of compensation or just a desire to be on TV by whatever means necessary.

[QUOTE]

I agree, blast, I'm sure the producers counseled all of these performers about what to expect from the judges and they were compensated and I'm sure had to sign a release, but it is the entertainment "appetite" of the American viewer that concerns me. Where are we going here----back to the Christians and the lions? I am not a "bleeding heart" , but I see the "championing" of the "I am beautiful and cool, and you're not" mentality as a primary contributor to the intolerable situation that many less than physically kids face everyday in school and by many such adults in the workplace.

The audition shows are okay, but growing up around people singing all my life, I much prefer when they get down to the top 12!

burnet44
01-18-2007, 12:52 PM
seattle is a bad place to be
ouch
man what a freak show
the circus is in town

they had what 30,000 try out
took 10?

I know they cant take everyone but jezzzzzzzz

The Herd on ESPN was tff this morning
he was from seattle
said he is glad he is gone
what a freak show

thats a reason I dont try out
I cant sing a lick and know it
I dont have to publisize

Jason1725
01-18-2007, 01:10 PM
It's a work!

themsu97
01-18-2007, 01:32 PM
how many of you know that some of these people are dared and take money from people to go out and embarass themselves... like an old college prank...
most of these people are screened so the producers put these people out there on purpose...
Rosie is an idiot and people should never listen to what she says...
if you do not want to drive, do not get behind the wheel...
if you put yourself out there, be prepared to be criticized...
that is like getting mad when parents complain about your coaching, you know going in that it is part of the territory...
I am built freakishly... I am about 5'8", weigh 180... my arms do not fully extend so they look very short... my hat size is a 7 5/8 so I have a huge dome...
people make fun of that but it is true so what do you do about... be a grown up and laugh with them because it is funny...

Blastoderm55
01-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
how many of you know that some of these people are dared and take money from people to go out and embarass themselves... like an old college prank...
most of these people are screened so the producers put these people out there on purpose...
Rosie is an idiot and people should never listen to what she says...
if you do not want to drive, do not get behind the wheel...
if you put yourself out there, be prepared to be criticized...
that is like getting mad when parents complain about your coaching, you know going in that it is part of the territory...
I am built freakishly... I am about 5'8", weigh 180... my arms do not fully extend so they look very short... my hat size is a 7 5/8 so I have a huge dome...
people make fun of that but it is true so what do you do about... be a grown up and laugh with them because it is funny...

So you look like Gollum too? Interesting. :thinking:

Only kidding of course. :p

I'm still waiting for this guy to come audition. Maybe he'll show up in Arkansas. :p

http://www.wilson06.freeserve.co.uk/sloth.jpg

mistanice
01-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I thought this was the red head on there last night....

http://www.pauldavidson.net/wp-content/themes/wfme/images/entries/ericmask.jpg

Blastoderm55
01-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
I thought this was the red head on there last night....

http://www.pauldavidson.net/wp-content/themes/wfme/images/entries/ericmask.jpg

:eek:

I knew he looked familiar! The Mask!

themsu97
01-18-2007, 03:08 PM
more like a troll...

Lars loves chunk...

DU_stud04
01-18-2007, 03:10 PM
i might try out for the next american idol, yall all vote for me now. ;)

pirateman98
01-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
I'm under the impression that some of the goofballs who audition are actually paid to perform so horribly, in addition to their quirky appearances. Believing such, I find no problem in laughing heartily at their ridicule. I could be completely wrong, but I sure hope that people wouldn't be so delusional to go out in front of a national audience and make complete fools of themselves unless they were doing so because of compensation or just a desire to be on TV by whatever means necessary.

http://www.chargedmultimedia.com/exanimo/images/gollum.jpg

ROLMAO!!! Some of my cousin's and I where watching it last night too, and one of them said the same thing. I was laughing so hard......I thought it was funny. I would of probably been like Paula, and laughed harder when he left so I could avoid making that man feel bad. I know he was probably at home watching it and saw what Paula did and was mad. I don't blame her for trying to make him feel good and holding her composer. I though it was funny too.....I hope it don't make me look it a bad person.

Hansum Stranger
01-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

“Isn’t that what America thinks is entertainment? To make fun of someone’s physical appearance

Isn't that what Rosie was doing towards The Donald's comb over? Trump had it right when he said she was a loser.

Ranger Mom
01-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
Isn't that what Rosie was doing towards The Donald's comb over? Trump had it right when he said she was a loser.

Sadly, I must admit that I like Simon Cowel way more than Rosie O'Donnel OR Donald Trump!!

Cameron Crazy
01-18-2007, 03:59 PM
The best things are the tryouts!

Hansum Stranger
01-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Sadly, I must admit that I like Simon Cowel way more than Rosie O'Donnel OR Donald Trump!!

I agree with you on that.

injuredinmelee
01-18-2007, 05:26 PM
i used to not have a big problem with Simon but last night to insult a persons physical appearance, who is obviously mentally and physically challenged crossed the line and showed a lack of class. The two guys that came together and audtioned one after the other were bovisouly mentally challeneged and this was probably a huge dream for both of them jsut to get on tv and see "famous" people. If I would have been in the room I would have had to dot Mr. Cowell's left eye.

Blastoderm55
01-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
i used to not have a big problem with Simon but last night to insult a persons physical appearance, who is obviously mentally and physically challenged crossed the line and showed a lack of class. The two guys that came together and audtioned one after the other were bovisouly mentally challeneged and this was probably a huge dream for both of them jsut to get on tv and see "famous" people. If I would have been in the room I would have had to dot Mr. Cowell's left eye.

Did you see security charge that hair stylist? That was crazy stuff. I'd like to see them get physical with someone one of these days. :p

Ranger Mom
01-18-2007, 05:36 PM

I agree....but I didn't think either one of them were mentally or physically challenged...(unless being overweight is what you are talking about)!

carter08
01-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Wizard of Oz chick was hillarious

injuredinmelee
01-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I agree....but I didn't think either one of them were mentally or physically challenged...(unless being overweight is what you are talking about)!

The guy with the big eyes and the big guy after him? There was obviously something wrong with them.

Ranger Mom
01-18-2007, 05:50 PM
The guy with the big eyes and the big guy after him? There was obviously something wrong with them.

I know which ones you were talking about. The big eyed guy was fairly articulate, I thought. The big guy had a lisp, but I don't think a speech impediment means you are physically or mentally impaired!