PDA

View Full Version : Astros fans...

g$$
01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Question for you: assuming we don't acquire any more starting pitching, what do you think of this rotation? Morgan Ensberg has been rumored to be trade bait for pitching, but I think unless it is a deal you can't pass up (like a proven #2, maybe Jake Westbrook from Cleveland?), then keep him & see if he bounces back.

Starters:
--Roy Oswalt (one of the top 10 pitchers in MLB)
--Jason Jennings (not sure he is a #2, but will help for sure, from Dallas & Baylor)
--Woody Williams (yes he's 40, but a crafty veteran from Cy-Fair & Houston)
--Chris Sampson (I like this guy, ground ball pitcher & throws strikes, from Channelview & Texas Tech)
--Matt Albers (his job to lose after great AA year, live arm & great sinker, from Clements HS in Sugar Land)

--Juan Gutierrez is close too
--Fernando Nieve, I love his arm but has had elbow troubles, maybe better suited for pen
--Tomball's Troy Patton is close, probably AAA bound to start, love his future
--Wandy Rodriguez is done in Houston I hope
--Galveston Ball's Brandon Backe is recovering from elbow surgery, out for year more than likely
--a few others are on the horizon too but not MLB ready

Pen:
Brad Lidge
Dan Wheeler
Chad Qualls
Fernando Nieve
Dave Borkowski
Trever Miller (but Phil Garner wants 2 lefties in pen for match-ups, so maybe Wandy too)

Everyday Line-up:
Chris Burke CF
Craig Biggio 2B (lots of Loretta too, esp. on road)
Lance Berkman 1B
Carlos Lee LF
Luke Scott RF (may platoon vs. LHP, we'll see)
Morgan Ensberg 3B (Lamb/Loretta too)
Adam Everett SS (some Loretta too)
Brad Ausmus C
Pitcher

(I would love to see Ensberg or Scott hit #2 hole in front of Berkman personally, & slide aging Biggio to 6th; Loretta is a definite #2 hole hitter)

Bench:
--Mike Lamb
--Mark Loretta (will play a lot all over the infield, solid pro & good hitter)
--Eric Bruntlett
--Humbero Quintero/ Hector Gimenez (one of these 2 will be 2nd catcher, probably Quintero to start season, & should play more than last year)
--Jason Lane/Richard Hidalgo (if Hidalgo shows bat speed & has lost the weight, Lane will be released!)

That's a start, so fire away. I think we need another starting pitcher personally. Who knows what Roger Clemens will do? Hunter Pence (OF) will begin the year in AAA, but I sure like him for the near future. Hurry up baseball season!

GWOOD
01-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by g$$

(I would love to see Ensberg or Scott hit #2 hole in front of Berkman personally, & slide aging Biggio to 6th; Loretta is a definite #2 hole hitter)

Great idea! I think Biggio would drive in a lot of runs from the #6 spot.

g$$
01-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by GWOOD
Great idea! I think Biggio would drive in a lot of runs from the #6 spot.

The reason I like it is 2 fold: Biggio's OB% has gone way down, & either Ensberg or Scott would see more fastballs hitting in front of Berkman. Both guys walk quite a bit too. Biggio still has value, esp. at home, but to me #2 hole does not fit him anymore. But, I don't see it happening b/c Biggio controls more than everyone thinks & he will get more ABs at the top of the order.

Food for thought anyway...

District303aPastPlayer
01-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by g$$

--Matt Albers (his job to lose after great AA year, live arm & great sinker, from Clements HS in Sugar Land)
--Fernando Nieve, I love his arm but has had elbow troubles, maybe better

That's a start, so fire away. I think we need another starting pitcher personally. Who knows what Roger Clemens will do? Hunter Pence (OF) will begin the year in AAA, but I sure like him for the near future. Hurry up baseball season!

Albers is great....

Nieve should stay in the pen...

Pence has it... the kid is the next Astros superstar.... he needs to be in the bigs about a 1/4 to 1/2 way into the season...

g$$
01-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Albers is great....

Nieve should stay in the pen...

Pence has it... the kid is the next Astros superstar.... he needs to be in the bigs about a 1/4 to 1/2 way into the season...

See, we can get along. Good baseball talk. You've watched those guys in Corpus, huh?

So if Pence is tearing up AAA, who does he replace in Houston's OF? Maybe Burke back to the infield, because Lee is set & Scott showed a lot last year when given a chance. Good problem to have, but if so, maybe Burke splits time at SS (but serious downgrade defensively to Everett) & moves around to 2B some too. Loretta has to play though quite a bit because we need his bat (2B, SS, 3B, even 1B occasionally to spell Berkman). It will all sort itself out by who is playing the best, plus a trade could happen too for pitching.

Burke will be given every chance to play CF everyday. He has waited long enough to play regularly.

CalallenWildcat
01-18-2007, 09:56 AM
We'll see if Albers is ready for the Majors yet...I would have started him off in AAA for the first couple weeks at least. Of course the Astros don't have many other options so he will have to be a good #5 starter for the club.

I don't like Wandy Rodriguez...and I'm not a big fan of Qualls for whatever reason.

The lineup should be interesting with a lot of different combinations due to the addition of Loretta.

Pence will be the next Astros star...no doubt.

themsu97
01-18-2007, 10:38 AM
see, I would opt to put Scott between Lee and Berkman... that way he has more pitches to hit... give him confidence... by the same token though you could bat him 2nd and Ensberg 4th for the same reason and then Bigg 6th...

g$$
01-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
see, I would opt to put Scott between Lee and Berkman... that way he has more pitches to hit... give him confidence... by the same token though you could bat him 2nd and Ensberg 4th for the same reason and then Bigg 6th...

Good points, but you & I both know they did not pay Lee $100 million to bat behind Luke Scott (plus Lee should protect Berkman more). Your logic makes sense. I am just glad it seems we will have a better offense this season, & just maybe Rocket sees that & comes back for 1/2 a season.

Should be a fun year & the Central is wide open. Houston fans will love Mark Loretta. I have been a fan of his since Garner managed him in Milwaukee. Solid pro in every way.

themsu97
01-18-2007, 01:25 PM
sorry, g$$,
there are now many people who have lost respect for you since you said you agree with me...

but you are correct, they did not pay Lee that much money to hit 5th and to protect Scott or Ensberg...
but Lee does not need protection...
the offense has improved but it still has everett and Ausmus in it so the bottom is not worth squat, one of those two should have been either traded or released...

g$$
01-18-2007, 07:57 PM
sorry, g$$,
there are now many people who have lost respect for you since you said you agree with me...

but you are correct, they did not pay Lee that much money to hit 5th and to protect Scott or Ensberg...
but Lee does not need protection...
the offense has improved but it still has everett and Ausmus in it so the bottom is not worth squat, one of those two should have been either traded or released...

That's funny, just the Brazoria County thing!

As for Everett & Ausmus: both are obviously defensive studs (although Ausmus does not throw well anymore), & Everett takes a backseat to no one defensively at SS. They do create a black hole at the bottom of the order, agreed. I do think you will see Ausmus sit more this year, & I also think Everett will be spelled by Loretta some to generate more offense. If Everett could just hit .270, I would be happy. He is so smooth in the field & pitchers love both he & Ausmus. Top 6 better produce to hide them a little more.

Astros will be in the hunt if the pitching holds up...need 1 more starter IMO.

carter08
01-18-2007, 08:00 PM
I like the Top 4 in the rotation

AggieJohn
01-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by carter08
I like the Top 4 in the rotation it's shakey at best

tigerpride_08
01-18-2007, 09:25 PM
i read today and it could be kind of old but....they signed Richard Hidalgo back...said he's in pretty good shape so maybe he'll provide a spark...

AggieJohn
01-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
i read today and it could be kind of old but....they signed Richard Hidalgo back...said he's in pretty good shape so maybe he'll provide a spark... don't look forward to it

tigerpride_08
01-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
don't look forward to it

hey you never know..he did belt 44 homeruns in 2003 i think for them...:)

g$$
01-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
i read today and it could be kind of old but....they signed Richard Hidalgo back...said he's in pretty good shape so maybe he'll provide a spark...

Minor league deal, just like Sosa & the Rangers. Still has to make the team. If he does, Lane is done in Houston. Supposedly Hidalgo has lost weight & showing some of his former skills in Winter Ball. I am skeptical at best, but worth a look.

OF is set for now w/ Lee, Burke, & Scott (then a back-up or 2 like Bruntlett, ??). Depends on if they keep 11 or 12 pitchers too. Read my original post for bench breakdown per the 40 man roster (25 make team out of camp).

charlesrixey
01-18-2007, 10:26 PM
amazing---four of five starting pitchers are from texas!

big daddy russ
01-18-2007, 11:06 PM
The middle of the rotation would be at the back in most lineups. I like Jennings and Williams, just not at number two and three. Who knows, maybe Jennings' time in Colorado has prepared him for a hitters' park and he finally develops into the #2-type of pitcher he was projected as out of the minors, but I just don't see it happening yet.

IF Hidalgo comes in shape and ready to play, I think he could bounce back this year. He's been a solid producer once or twice in his career, but he slipped and just fell off the map.

The Astros are dealing with a few too many ifs this year IMHO. Will Ensberg, Lidge, and Hidalgo bounce back this year? Will the offense be enough to carry a pitching staff that looks very average as of right now? Will Luke Scott, Chris Burke, Hidalgo, or anyone in that lineup get hot enough to give their big three (assuming Ensberg is back in form) plenty of good looks? Will the big bats make up for the loss of speed?

They're a very one-dimensional team right now. Taveras wasn't the greatest defensive CF in the world, but his speed and athleticism more than made up for his shortcomings and helped him track down balls that most couldn't hope to get to. I don't know much about Scott on defense, but let's hope that Burke and him can cover enough ground to make up for the loss of Taveras and addition of Lee. I know Lee's not as slow as many make him out to be, but those outfielders definitely aren't as fast as the group from last year.

Like I said, just a whole lot of questions.

JakefootballGOD
01-18-2007, 11:18 PM
morgan is trade bait...loretta and lamb can hold down 3 bag....we need more one pitcher...

I"M PUMPED...were gonna be good

Who-dun-it!!?
01-19-2007, 12:36 AM
I have a Roy Oswalt autographed 2005 world series baseball with a certificate of authenticity. I'm an Astros nut, and I don't wanna let it go. But everything has a price.

I'm just wondering what it might be worth.

htowntransplant
01-19-2007, 01:05 AM
paul estrada is going to be a sleeper for the russ springer middle inning void we have now. that dude is just SIICK. nieve is a future closer, but i think we will share some setup duties with wheels and qualls. i like our bullpen for next season. hopefully lidge has mastered the cut fastball that he spent last offseason trying to learn.

i like juan gutierrez. aaron and i saw him in a day game. he won us some tacos. he reminds me of livan hernandez in almost every way.

g$$
01-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
paul estrada is going to be a sleeper for the russ springer middle inning void we have now. that dude is just SIICK. nieve is a future closer, but i think we will share some setup duties with wheels and qualls. i like our bullpen for next season. hopefully lidge has mastered the cut fastball that he spent last offseason trying to learn.

i like juan gutierrez. aaron and i saw him in a day game. he won us some tacos. he reminds me of livan hernandez in almost every way.

Good post, another baseball guy!

I have heard good things about Estrada too, as well as Gutierrez. Yes, Lidge has worked on the cutter as well as the 2 seamer, but IMO it all comes down to his confidence & command. The stuff is still there.

Russ, good post too. Lots of questions but also lots of hope. We'll see what happens. And agreed, Astros need 1 more top of the rotation starter & look out. Then everybody could fall into their natural slots. If starting pitching holds up, the bullpen looks solid & the line-up good enough to win in the NL Central.

g$$
01-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
I have a Roy Oswalt autographed 2005 world series baseball with a certificate of authenticity. I'm an Astros nut, and I don't wanna let it go. But everything has a price.

I'm just wondering what it might be worth.

Easy to find out...check on eBay or go to one of the card shows like Tri-Star has in Houston this weekend or the Astros Classic @ MMP in February. IMO, hold onto it as long as you can. It will increase in value with time for a player like Roy Oswalt.

themsu97
01-19-2007, 09:38 AM
alot of things I will never part with... Mickey Mantle autograph... Mike Schmidt Rookie card... Kirby Puckett rookie, Cal Ripken rookie as well as Roger Clemens... and my two favorites, Barry Bonds and Rafael Palmeiro rookie...

g$$
01-19-2007, 09:41 AM
alot of things I will never part with... Mickey Mantle autograph... Mike Schmidt Rookie card... Kirby Puckett rookie, Cal Ripken rookie as well as Roger Clemens... and my two favorites, Barry Bonds and Rafael Palmeiro rookie...

Impressive collection! You have some $$ right there in those.

Never been a big autograph guy, but I do have a Nolan Ryan signed baseball; & an Earl Campbell signed pic of him accepting the Heisman among a few others. Those are cool to me.

themsu97
01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Ryan signed my '73 card of him... of course Nolan is a Brazoria COunty guy himself... used to see him alot back in the day... at the BC Fair, at the Golden Corral in Angleton... of course I played against Reid several times... and played golf with Reece once... Nolan RYan is as good as they come...

g$$
02-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Ryan signed my '73 card of him... of course Nolan is a Brazoria COunty guy himself... used to see him alot back in the day... at the BC Fair, at the Golden Corral in Angleton... of course I played against Reid several times... and played golf with Reece once... Nolan RYan is as good as they come...

My cousin & her family knew Nolan (& family) well in Alvin. Wendy Ryan was the same age as my cousin. Reid was a better basketball player than baseball. It doesn't get any better than the Ryan Express. Like Whitey Herzog said, "the best arm to ever lace up the spikes".

I was lucky enough to meet him once. Good man & phenomenal baseball player. Still likes to hit Joe's BBQ in Alvin when he is around (now lives in Georgetown, TX).