PDA

View Full Version : C-BAT steps up to the plate for Cuero baseball

Gobbler Fan
01-18-2007, 08:01 AM
January 18, 2007 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.

CUERO - Dreams don't always come true but dedication and hard work go a long way toward turning them into reality.

What began as the subject of a dinner conversation between friends has become a community treasure.

The founders of Cuero Baseball Association for Teenagers, better known as C-BAT, didn't hear voices while they were standing in a cornfield. But they recognized the condition of the city's baseball field had deteriorated to the point where something needed to be done.

An organizational meeting was held in May and C-BAT wasted little time turning what had been an eyesore into an eye opener.

"We just drew it on a piece of paper and went from there," said Rhonda Goebel, of the conversation her and husband, Dickie, had with Kenneth and Terri Boothe.

The transformation created by a group of 20 or so volunteers, who have spent most of their weekends since August working at the stadium, which is located on the edge of the city park, has been startling.

The old wooden outfield fence is gone, replaced by a shiny metal fence built to specifications chosen by members of the Cuero baseball team. The infield, which includes an automated sprinkler system, is completely new and batting cages have been constructed along the outfield lines, including a covered batting cage on the home side that will be useable in inclement weather.

The dugouts have been rebuilt into the ground, providing an excellent view of the field, the backstops have been rebuilt with a brick design, netting has been installed and an indoor press box has been constructed.
Click here to view our website!
C-BAT took out a loan to pay for the infield and member Bubba Bell spurred an effort that has resulted in the sale of 40 signs for the outfield fence. But C-BAT has had help. It got a grant from the Cuero Development Corporation, which paid for a portion of the outfield fence and batting cages, Wells Fargo Bank donated the scoreboard, the Rotary Club anted up for the dugouts, Post Lumber donated materials for the press box and the Boothes reached into their own pockets to pay for the backstop.

But with the exception of the infield, which was rebuilt by a company from Kerrville, the labor has been done almost entirely by members of C-BAT.

"We've got a group of kids who have been playing together since they were 5-years old," said Kenneth Boothe, the president of C-Bat. "They've stayed together and we wanted them to have a nice place to play."

C-BAT's work has been welcomed by Cuero's baseball team, which had to play all of last season's non-district games on the road because of the condition of the field. Cuero will make its debut at the stadium with a 100-inning intrasquad game on Feb. 3 and the stadium's grand opening is set for Feb. 19 when the Gobblers host Luling.

"It makes a big difference," said first-year Cuero coach Scott ?Holder, who led Thorndale to the 2005 Class 1A state championship and the state tournament last season. "The kids are excited about going out and playing every day. This organization took it upon itself to build a better field for the kids to play. I know I feel pressure every time I look at the field and I'm sure the kids will feel what they do is important because of what the community put into it. Right now, this is as nice a place as some college parks I've seen."

Members of C-BAT insist they're not finished. Future plans include an automated sprinkler system for the outfield, rebuilding the grandstands, concession stands and restrooms, and ultimately getting new lights.

But C-BAT has already done enough to make the stadium a place where teams will want to play for years to come.

"We've all heard, 'If you build it, they will come,'" Rhonda Goebel said of the voice actor Kevin Costner heard in a cornfield before building a baseball field in the film, "Field of Dreams." "We decided if we get our field ready, they'll come and play on it."

g$$
01-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Good for Cuero, nice story. Sounds like a community effort for something other than football. Best of luck.

Is Rhonda Goebel related to former Cuero star QB Brad Goebel (Baylor, Eagles, Browns)? Surely so...maybe married to his brother?

GWOOD
01-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Great story. Just in time, too. I think Cuero will have a good team this year.

Greenwood finally got a new baseball field last year. I was assuming that before last year Greenwood surely had the worst field in 3A. Sounds like Cuero's field may have been worse.