PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question for the Mods & Admins

CalallenWildcat
01-17-2007, 12:40 PM
You know I don't like to question how this board is set up, because quite frankly, I like it, but is there ANY way that you can change the search feature to search for and find words that are less than four letters? I don't know if that's a changeable setting or not. Thanks for looking into it!

pirate4state
01-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Annoying isn't it? It bugs the crap out of me, but that is a question for ADMIN b/c if I had anyway to fix it it would already be fixed!!! It drives me nuts!! (I know, short trip :rolleyes: )

CalallenWildcat
01-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Annoying isn't it? It bugs the crap out of me, but that is a question for ADMIN b/c if I had anyway to fix it it would already be fixed!!! It drives me nuts!! (I know, short trip :rolleyes: )

Exactly! Thanks for your help
:)

Adidas410s
01-17-2007, 12:49 PM
I concur...that has made me have to get creative with the way that I search things. Frustrating indeed...:(

piratebg
01-17-2007, 02:47 PM
I second that.....or third that.....or whatever. Looks like we have all had that same headache.

sinton66
01-17-2007, 09:10 PM
It is a setting that can be changed. Question is do we really want to?

Here's the description it gives me:

Minimum Word Length
Enter the minimum word length that the search engine is to index. The smaller this number is, the larger your search index, and conversely your database is going to be.

I think what this means is that if you go smaller on this setting, searches will take longer and what it finds will result in much larger data results that you will have to sift through to find what you are looking for. I need to get out the manual and see if it will tell me more.

CalallenWildcat
01-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
It is a setting that can be changed. Question is do we really want to?

Here's the description it gives me:

I think what this means is that if you go smaller on this setting, searches will take longer and what it finds will result in much larger data results that you will have to sift through to find what you are looking for. I need to get out the manual and see if it will tell me more.

Yeah, it sounds like that is what it means. The only reason why I inquired is because I wanted to look up previous ice storms...and it spit the word ice back out at me. I'll try and just be more creative in the searching.

slpybear the bullfan
01-17-2007, 11:33 PM
I think we would like to keep the database as small as possible. Hopefully we can all continue to be creative in our search terms.

Great question!

sinton66
01-18-2007, 08:50 AM
I consulted the "manual" I have, but the description the software gives is more info than what's in the manual. It also tells me that searches involve a lot of server resources to accomplish. Not sure how important that aspect is since we own our own server.

Phil C
01-18-2007, 09:44 AM
It's a tough old world isn't it?

:(

SintonFan
01-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Can yall set it up that it'll let us search for things before 2004? That one always irks me.:(

Ranger Mom
01-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Can yall set it up that it'll let us search for things before 2004? That one always irks me.:(

Amen Brother!!

I don't want to even think of the amount of hours I have logged looking back at posts earlier than 2004 searching for a certain thread!

piratebg
01-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Amen Brother!!

I don't want to even think of the amount of hours I have logged looking back at posts earlier than 2004 searching for a certain thread!

I think it's fun to search through the old threads. I did not find this place until the 2004 football season, and the off season is the time when I like to sift around the pre-bg era. There are a lot of members that have disappeared since the first days.

SintonFan
01-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Amen Brother!!

I tried to get google(find a configurable way like some websites have theirs' setup) to search the downlow but I haven't figured it out yet. Then again I spent maybe 5 minutes on it.:D :(

Ranger Mom
01-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I think it's fun to search through the old threads. I did not find this place until the 2004 football season, and the off season is the time when I like to sift around the pre-bg era. There are a lot of members that have disappeared since the first days.

It is unless you are looking for a specific thread and know a specific word that would bring it right up, if only the search would let you go back to the threads that were posted BEFORE the "changeover"!

sinton66
01-18-2007, 08:28 PM

Nope. Only way is manually. It's really weird too. The software accepted all the old data as an import, but won't recognize it as an authentic search area for some reason. Damned software weenies.;)

SintonFan
01-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Nope. Only way is manually. It's really weird too. The software accepted all the old data as an import, but won't recognize it as an authentic search area for some reason. Damned software weenies.;)
Thanks. Maybe I'll give google a call? It couldn't hurt.http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif

LH Panther Mom
01-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Sometimes it's fun to chat with your friends mid-day while you're all looking for similar stuff. :D

(Survivor......)

SintonFan
01-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

(Survivor......)
lol
Yall went way beyond yalls duties on that thread.
This year someone else might have to host as (I'm crossing my fingers here) I hope to have a new job soon that might take me out-of-country to places like Odessa and even *gasp* The Valley.:D ;)

LH Panther Mom
01-18-2007, 10:22 PM
I hope to have a new job soon that might take me out-of-country to places like Odessa
Ewwwwwwwwwwww. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :hairpunk:

Ranger Mom
01-18-2007, 10:25 PM
lol
This year someone else might have to host as (I'm crossing my fingers here) I hope to have a new job soon that might take me out-of-country to places like Odessa and even *gasp* The Valley.:D ;)

If you are in Odessa, give me a call!!

What kind of new job??

DaHop72
01-18-2007, 10:33 PM
lol
This year someone else might have to host as (I'm crossing my fingers here) I hope to have a new job soon that might take me out-of-country to places like Odessa and even *gasp* The Valley.:D ;) Just give us a call when you come this way.

SintonFan
01-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Yall don't jinx me. Just keep your fingers crossed for me please.:)
Well it pays good RM.:D

DaHop72
01-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Yall don't jinx me. Just keep your fingers crossed for me please.:) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SintonFan
01-18-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm going ni ni yall. Loooong day tomorrow.:clap: I love this weather!:D