PDA

View Full Version : Brad Lidge gets a raise????

JasperDog94
01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
HOUSTON -- The Astros wiped another arbitration-eligible player off their "to sign" list when they inked closer Brad Lidge to a one-year deal worth $5.35 million on Tuesday. The deal also includes an incentives package.

Lidge receives a raise of $1.375 million, up from his salary of $3.975 million in 2006.

The 30-year-old Lidge was 1-5 with a 5.28 ERA and 32 saves in 38 opportunities over 78 games for the Astros in 2006. He ranked second in the Major Leagues with 104 strikeouts, and he's the first relief pitcher to strike out 100 or more in three consecutive years since Eric Gagne did so from 2002-04.

However, Lidge endured his share of struggles in '06 and twice lost his closer's role to Dan Wheeler, who was recently signed and will be available to step into the ninth-inning role if need be.

"We are very pleased to have Brad signed prior to the exchange of arbitration figures," general manager Tim Purpura said. "We are looking forward to a great 2007 season with him as our closer once again. Brad is one of the leaders of our team, and we are expecting great results from him this season."

The Astros have signed six arbitration-eligible players and have three more to go: shortstop Adam Everett, outfielder Jason Lane and third baseman Morgan Ensberg. The Astros exchanged salary figures with the three unsigned players on Tuesday. The club offered Everett $2.5 million, with his counteroffer totalling $3.4 million. Lane offered a figure of $1.375 million, with the club countering with $900,000. Ensberg asked for $4.9 million, while the club offered $4 million.

Purpura is confident that the club will be able to avoid going to a hearing with any of the three players.

"We've had good dialogue with all of the three remaining players," Purpura said. "We had strong offers on the table. We'll evaluate at this stage and go from there. Nothing has occurred that would lead me to believe we'll have a large problem."

Arbitration hearings begin in February for those players unable to come to terms of a contract without third-party assistance.

JasperDog94
01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
The dude has the worst year of his career and gets a 34% raise?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Unbelievable.

Maroon87
01-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
The dude has the worst year of his career and gets a 34% raise?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Unbelievable.

Wish I could get a 34% raise....:confused:

JasperDog94
01-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Wish I could get a 34% raise....:confused: Apparently to warrant that kind of raise, you have to have your worst year ever in your profession. Try that and let me know how that goes for you.:evilgrin:

CalallenWildcat
01-17-2007, 12:01 PM
The net gain he is receiving through this deal should instead be used to lower ticket prices by the club.

JasperDog94
01-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
The net gain he is receiving through this deal should instead be used to lower ticket prices by the club. Yeah, like that's ever going to happen.

AggieJohn
01-17-2007, 04:44 PM
remember that time that i taught 32 of my 38 kids correctly and they passed their standaridized test, i didnt get a 30 percent raise from that....

g$$
01-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Crazy business, but the reason is to avoid arbitration & remain in good standing with the club & player relationship in HOPES he can turn it around to be the closer he was a few years ago. Lidge has a great arm, obviously, & maybe Dave Wallace can fix his psyche & command issues. I said in HOPE!

In today's baseball market, this is not a big deal (Ted Lilly is making $11 million this season & he is a journeyman LHP). To you & me, it makes no sense. If Lidge bounces back then it will pay off down the line & strengthen the pen.

CalallenWildcat
01-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah, like that's ever going to happen.

It ought to, to pay the fans back for all the games Lidge blew last year

tigerpride_08
01-17-2007, 05:22 PM
imo he better do good this year, or he could be gone...

crzyjournalist03
01-17-2007, 06:27 PM
He ranked second in the Major Leagues with 104 strikeouts, and he's the first relief pitcher to strike out 100 or more in three consecutive years since Eric Gagne did so from 2002-04.

I'm assuming that he was second among relievers???? I'm pretty sure there were about three pitchers on his TEAM who had more than that...

Anyway, I'm assuming that was one of the key bargaining chips that led to his raise. You also have to look at the market. I mean, B.J. Ryan is making more than Lidge, and I wouldn't trade Lidge for Ryan.

g$$
01-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'm assuming that he was second among relievers???? I'm pretty sure there were about three pitchers on his TEAM who had more than that...

Anyway, I'm assuming that was one of the key bargaining chips that led to his raise. You also have to look at the market. I mean, B.J. Ryan is making more than Lidge, and I wouldn't trade Lidge for Ryan.

Relief pitcher Ks, not starters. Command was the problem for him, not stuff. Hopefully Dave Wallace can help him regain it.

JakefootballGOD
01-17-2007, 07:31 PM
he did have a ruff first half of the year...but you gotta remember the second half of the year he turned it on and looked like the lidge of old...

he will be back

g$$
01-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by JakefootballGOD
he did have a ruff first half of the year...but you gotta remember the second half of the year he turned it on and looked like the lidge of old...

he will be back

He looked better in the 2nd half, but not "Lights Out Lidge". I hope he can find his form again under Wallace.

JakefootballGOD
01-17-2007, 07:38 PM
very true...all needs is command of the ole #1...

i dont see why he cant just take 2 mph off of it and place it where he wants....instead he wants to throw 98 or 99 and throw it all over the place including the heart of the plate.

the slide is still there...just needs some command

and i'm glad hickey is gone, he was horrible with the young kids...its bad when rocket is his age...not that old

g$$
01-17-2007, 07:43 PM
very true...all needs is command of the ole #1...

i dont see why he cant just take 2 mph off of it and place it where he wants....instead he wants to throw 98 or 99 and throw it all over the place including the heart of the plate.

the slide is still there...just needs some command

and i'm glad hickey is gone, he was horrible with the young kids...its bad when rocket is his age...not that old

Hard & straight at that level gets hit hard & far! His 2 seamer showed promise in the 2nd half. Movement & location mean so much more. I still have faith in him to find it again.

Here's the deal: if you can't locate the fastball, then the slider becomes less effective. MLB hitters will spit on it & wait for the fastball to crush. It all starts with the fastball for him.

JakefootballGOD
01-17-2007, 07:56 PM
agreed...totally

i couldnt have said it any better myself...but we dont need to worry about lidge right now, we have to worry about being ahead in the ninth inning...the closer is meaning less if the starters can't keep the lead

GOFOR2
01-17-2007, 08:06 PM
He should have gotten the lights knocked out of his contract. He has been horrible since Wagner left. He was a much better set up man for him that he has been a closer.

JakefootballGOD
01-17-2007, 08:46 PM
he had one bad year...come on..everyone struggles a bit!

GOFOR2
01-17-2007, 09:21 PM
he had one bad year...come on..everyone struggles a bit!

yea you're right....but every outing?

JakefootballGOD
01-17-2007, 09:28 PM
COME ON GUY...HE DIDNT BLOW EVERY SAVE...AFTER HIS HORRIBLE FIRST PART OF THE YEAR HE ENDED UP WITH 32 SAVES
WITH 5 LOSSES...AND ITS FUNNY JASON I. FROM STL HAD 8 LOSSES WITH 33 SAVES....

g$$
01-18-2007, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
He should have gotten the lights knocked out of his contract. He has been horrible since Wagner left. He was a much better set up man for him that he has been a closer.

Not true. 3 years ago Lidge was the best closer in baseball (year before WS). Granted, he has struggled mightily at times since, including the roof falling in last year. He deserves 1 more shot to see if he can overcome his problems. Ability is there. You cannot find guys that throw 98 mph w/ a 2-plane slider at 89 mph on the street. It's all about command & confidence for him. We'll see...

AggieJohn
01-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Not true. 3 years ago Lidge was the best closer in baseball (year before WS). Granted, he has struggled mightily at times since, including the roof falling in last year. He deserves 1 more shot to see if he can overcome his problems. Ability is there. You cannot find guys that throw 98 mph w/ a 2-plane slider at 89 mph on the street. It's all about command & confidence for him. We'll see... yeah, he's got the junk to do the job, it's just getting him out of that head of his, I think that's what Jim Hickey lacked doing

NHSBulldog75
01-18-2007, 11:02 AM
not once in the downtime last year did he ever not take the heat like a gentleman after blowing a save.

A lot of young players would have been bitchin about the ump, the catcher, etc, etc.

Not Lidge. When he blew it, he admitted it and promised to try to go out and get er dun the next time out. After Phil sat him down a while and the confidence came back, he was still a gentleman when winning

Character Counts

g$$
01-18-2007, 11:12 AM
He's a class act, no doubt. That is one reason I am still rooting for him to rebound. He took the blame & kept plugging.

carter08
01-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Lidge better have a good year

JakefootballGOD
01-18-2007, 07:51 PM
agreed...he is a class act...and that is why i think he will have a career year this year!!