PDA

View Full Version : Life in the Big Leagues Blame it on the Asst.

burnet44
01-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Tom Coughlin fired his offensive coordinator with a week left in the season, then fired his defensive coordinator a week after losing in the playoffs. Apparently everyone on the Giants' coaching staff is to blame for what happened this season except Tom Coughlin! Stated another way, the people Coughlin hired did a terrible, horrible, awful job -- but Coughlin did a fine job of supervising them!

Mike "The Ultimate Leader" Shanahan just fired defensive coordinator Larry Coyer, who oversaw a defense that started this season by becoming the first in 64 years not to allow a touchdown over the first 11 quarters. But that was September! Obviously by December Coyer had become a total incompetent -- while Shanahan had not changed in any way and was not in any way responsible for the Broncos' failure to make the playoffs.

Halfway through the season, Billick fired his offensive coordinator and took over play-calling duties; Billick patted himself on the back in public when the Ravens scored well in the next few games. On Saturday, Baltimore honked out of the postseason at home, scoring a meager six points against one of the NFL's weakest defenses. So Coach Billick, will you fire yourself? Something tells me Billick will pronounce himself not in any way responsible!

All over the league this week, assistant coaches are being fired while head coaches give themselves another chance. Richard Nixon would understand the coaching dynamic of the modern NFL.

Colleges are no different
HS seem to fire the HC a lot more often

I wonder if Marty will fire some before he goes?

CenTexSports
01-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Welcome to the real world. Like it or not this is the way businesses are run. As a plant manager for the last 20 years, I can tell you there are many times that you have to decide whether you are going to have to fire someone to save your job or thake the high road and get the boot yourself when you know the problem is in the system not the management. I personally have taken the high road twice in my career and it is painful.

Coaches are in the end managers and they must answer for goals not reached, even if the goals are not reachable. Also, coaches are open to public scruinty and this makes it 10 times more difficult. I have no sympathy for college or pro coaches because they are WELL compensated to handle this job. I do feel for HS coaches because a lot of them are in pressure cookers at relatively low pay. And in most of their cases it is a daily problem because they see the parents, teachers, administrators, and fans daily.

Phil C
01-17-2007, 10:10 AM
I remember they did that in Gene Stallings next to last season at A&M. They had a bad year and fired all the assistants like it was their fault. The next year they had another bad year and right or wrong they fired Gene Stallings. After all he had done for them.
He was a great coach. He did lead Alabama to an NC. I think his problem was recruiting like UT had with Fred Akers who I think was a great coach but couldn't recruit too good.