PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Sosa to the Rangers???

crzyjournalist03
01-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Several sources are reporting that the Rangers brought in Sammy Sosa for a workout for the second time this offseason. Sosa is trying to come back after sitting out the 2006 season. He's expected to sign a minor league deal with big time incentives for a major league contract.

I know that he's 38 now and simply looked awful in Baltimore, but I actually like this potential move. I mean, why not take a small chance on him? If he doesn't work out, you release him at the start of the season and end up paying him very minimal money. If he looks anything like the player he used to be, you've got a potential stud on your roster that only costs you for the production he puts out. If he plays big, he gets paid big. If not, you don't have to pay much.

Seems like a low risk, high potential move to me. What do you guys think?

AggieJohn
01-16-2007, 03:55 PM
well, the astros are bringing back hildalgo.....it's a minimal risk that could have a maximum effect

crzyjournalist03
01-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
well, the astros are bringing back hildalgo.....it's a minimal risk that could have a maximum effect

Has he even played since Texas released him in 05?

Adidas410s
01-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Several sources are reporting that the Rangers brought in Sammy Sosa for a workout for the second time this offseason. Sosa is trying to come back after sitting out the 2006 season. He's expected to sign a minor league deal with big time incentives for a major league contract.

I know that he's 38 now and simply looked awful in Baltimore, but I actually like this potential move. I mean, why not take a small chance on him? If he doesn't work out, you release him at the start of the season and end up paying him very minimal money. If he looks anything like the player he used to be, you've got a potential stud on your roster that only costs you for the production he puts out. If he plays big, he gets paid big. If not, you don't have to pay much.

Seems like a low risk, high potential move to me. What do you guys think?

With the loss of some of the Rangers key players (Matthews, Mench, Barajas) and others that don't live up to potential (Nix, Wilkerson, etc) it doesn't hurt to have somebody else that can play the outfield on occassion when they DH Tex and DH on a regular basis when Tex is playing first. That's pretty much what they had Carlos Lee for last season...

JasperDog94
01-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
well, the astros are bringing back hildalgo.....it's a minimal risk that could have a maximum effect Word.

JasperDog94
01-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Has he even played since Texas released him in 05? Per Astros.com

"Hidalgo played for Magallanes in the Venezuelan League this winter, and Purpura received numerous favorable reports from manager Al Pedrique, one of Purpura's top assistants.

In 54 games for Magallanes, Hidalgo hit .273 with nine home runs and 27 RBIs, through games of Jan. 10. At that point, Hidalgo led the team in home runs, RBIs, walks (31), runs scored (33) and hits (51)."

crzyjournalist03
01-16-2007, 04:06 PM
***Update***

Rotoworld.com and the Fort Worth Star Telegram are now reporting that the Rangers have made an official offer to Sosa.

g$$
01-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Hidalgo & Sosa are both low risk guys because they are not signing guaranteed contracts. It is a minor league deal & you have to make the team (not likely). Low risk, high reward.

Supposedly, Hidalgo has lost weight & regained some bat speed. Both of these guys are steroids products. Now the air has been let out of the balloon. I am not very hopeful as an Astros fan. Lane can go away too. Play the young guys!

JasperDog94
01-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Lane can go away too. Play the young guys! Thank you.:clap: :clap: