PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs. OK State men's basketball tonight on ESPN2...

g$$
01-16-2007, 11:01 AM
FYI:

Texas vs. Oklahoma State
Stillwater, OK
8:00 PM
ESPN2

Should be a good one. The Pokes are tough, esp. at home. Durant for Texas & Boggan for OK State are the headliners. Of course, the weather could affect this too.

JasperDog94
01-16-2007, 02:32 PM
I hope they get to play this game.

Adidas410s
01-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok State is 4-1 (straight up and vs the spread) vs Texas in their last 5 meetings @ Gallagher-Iba.

Just a random fact...

I'm hoping that this one is played because it's always one of my favorite games to watch.

g$$
01-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Ok State is 4-1 (straight up and vs the spread) vs Texas in their last 5 meetings @ Gallagher-Iba.

Just a random fact...

I'm hoping that this one is played because it's always one of my favorite games to watch.

I've been to Gallagher-Iba, & that place is cool since they renovated it. Steep too, fans are right on top of you. It connects to the football stadium on one end too. Hope they get to play tonight.

Adidas410s
01-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I've been to Gallagher-Iba, & that place is cool since they renovated it. Steep too, fans are right on top of you. It connects to the football stadium on one end too. Hope they get to play tonight.

If I had ever gone to an out of state school...OSU is where I wanted to go. Just watching a game played there on TV is pretty cool and I really want to see one live. I wish I could go up there to see Tech/OK State but that's my one "off weekend" in February and I have a buddy flying in from Amarillo so I doubt he'd want to drive to Stillwater. There's always next year! :)

coach
01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
ok state is a tad overrated just like the rest of the big 12...except for texas....they have really surprised me and the have the best frosh in the nation and maybe a good argument for best player.....texas in a slight upset by 5

g$$
01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
If I had ever gone to an out of state school...OSU is where I wanted to go. Just watching a game played there on TV is pretty cool and I really want to see one live. I wish I could go up there to see Tech/OK State but that's my one "off weekend" in February and I have a buddy flying in from Amarillo so I doubt he'd want to drive to Stillwater. There's always next year! :)

It's a fun college town & nice people. Scenery much better than I thought as well! Can't go wrong at Eskimo Joe's, Wormy Dog Saloon, Tumbleweed's, etc. I could have gone there too & liked it. Good time on my visit there.

coach
01-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by g$$
It's a fun college town & nice people. Scenery much better than I thought as well! Can't go wrong at Eskimo Joe's, Wormy Dog Saloon, Tumbleweed's, etc. I could have gone there too & liked it. Good time on my visit there.

isnt it one of the smallest d1 colleges in the nation?

g$$
01-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by coach
ok state is a tad overrated just like the rest of the big 12...except for texas....they have really surprised me and the have the best frosh in the nation and maybe a good argument for best player.....texas in a slight upset by 5

So are you saying #5 Kansas & #8 Texas A&M are overrated? Time will tell, but Texas is where they should be at #23. They have been better as of late, & they are very young. They have also struggled at times.

Big 12 is pretty darn good, & has some of the best coaches in the country in it (Knight, Huggins, Self, Gillispie, Barnes, & some up & comers like Anderson, Sutton, Capel, Drew, etc.). It will only get better IMO.

g$$
01-16-2007, 03:02 PM

Oh no, absolutely not. Stillwater is very similar to College Station in size (but Bryan/CS is now about 120, 000 people). OK State is a good school & has around 25-30K students. Not small by any means. Very diverse degree options now & good location to OK City, etc. Nice place, & the women are much better than I thought. Some good golf courses, etc. too.

Adidas410s
01-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Oh no, absolutely not. Stillwater is very similar to College Station in size (but Bryan/CS is now about 120, 000 people). OK State is a good school & has around 25-30K students. Not small by any means. Very diverse degree options now & good location to OK City, etc. Nice place, & the women are much better than I thought. Some good golf courses, etc. too.
as of 2004 I'm showing them at 23,819...so not too shabby at all! ;)

g$$
01-16-2007, 03:04 PM

You may be thinking of Tulsa. It is small, very similar to Rice & Wake Forest in size. OK State is a public, state university & Tulsa is a private school. Tulsa is a nice city though, much like in Austin in businesses & diversity.

g$$
01-16-2007, 03:10 PM
as of 2004 I'm showing them at 23,819...so not too shabby at all! ;)

Good stuff, & right around 25K students now. My buddy played football there under Pat Jones. Good stories!

Here's one: it came down to one scholarship for either Barry Sanders from Wichita, KS or some O-lineman from the state of Oklahoma. They decided whoever called 1st got the scholarship. Sanders called 1st & the rest is history, Heisman Trophy, HOF, etc. If that does not tell you that recruitng is an inexact science, nothing will!

coach
01-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by g$$

yes i think they are overrated...im one of the biggest aggie fans you come around but i dont just say they are food bc i like them do u really think the ags afe the 8th best team in all of the land and who have the beat. they lost to there only decent teams...LSU and UCLA.....there next big tests are goin to be tough at tech and ok st. and also kansa is a tad overrated and the cant beat an avg team soundly and that will come back to haunt you in the long run and yes the big 12 has some good coaches and teams but not as good as the acc big 10 and the surprisng pac 10

JasperDog94
01-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Pac 10 is tough this year. I'm not sold one way or the other on the Big 12 yet. We'll just have to wait and see how things play out.

g$$
01-16-2007, 03:29 PM
yes i think they are overrated...im one of the biggest aggie fans you come around but i dont just say they are food bc i like them do u really think the ags afe the 8th best team in all of the land and who have the beat. they lost to there only decent teams...LSU and UCLA.....there next big tests are goin to be tough at tech and ok st. and also kansa is a tad overrated and the cant beat an avg team soundly and that will come back to haunt you in the long run and yes the big 12 has some good coaches and teams but not as good as the acc big 10 and the surprisng pac 10

Like I said, time will tell. A&M to me is in the #12-15 range, not #8. But they are good no doubt & play great defense. I wish we had 1 more scorer. Kansas is good, they blew out OK State & squeaked by Iowa St. & improving Mizzou. They will be there all year long though.

The ACC used to be better. Now, it has some soft spots. The Pac 10 is top heavy again. The Big 10 gets pub every year & then gets exposed in the Tourney. I will put the Big 12 up against any of them now, not in years past. And the Big 12 is getting better quickly (look at A&M & Kansas State, etc.).

Were you thinking of Tulsa earlier?

mwynn05
01-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Like I said, time will tell. A&M to me is in the #12-15 range, not #8. But they are good no doubt & play great defense. I wish we had 1 more scorer. Kansas is good, they blew out OK State & squeaked by Iowa St. & improving Mizzou. They will be there all year long though.

The ACC used to be better. Now, it has some soft spots. The Pac 10 is top heavy again. The Big 10 gets pub every year & then gets exposed in the Tourney. I will put the Big 12 up against any of them now, not in years past. And the Big 12 is getting better quickly (look at A&M & Kansas State, etc.).

Were you thinking of Tulsa earlier? Tulsa isnt small maybe oral roberts

g$$
01-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Tulsa isnt small maybe oral roberts

Wrong - both are small schools. Rice, Tulsa, & Wake Forest were the 3 smallest schools in bowl games.

OU & OK State are the big schools in that state.

from wikipedia:

The University of Tulsa is a private, comprehensive university awarding bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees located in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It currently ranks 88th in the nation by US News and World Report and is named by the Princeton Review as one of America's best universities. The university is historically affiliated with the Presbyterian Church USA.

Tulsa has the smallest undergraduate enrollment of all schools that participate in NCAA Division I-A football. The football team is coached by Todd Graham, replacing Steve Kragthorpe, who led the team to three bowl games in four seasons before accepting the head coaching job at the University of Louisville. Graham, a former Tulsa defensive coordinator, returned to the team after serving as the head coach at Rice for one season and turning around a dismal Owls program. Tulsa defeated University of Central Florida 44-27 in Conference USA's inaugural championship game on December 3, 2005. The Tulsa Golden Hurricane also defeated the Fresno State Bulldogs 31-24 on December 31, 2005, at the Autozone Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tennessee. This win brought their first bowl victory in 15 years. In 2006, the team went to the inaugural Armed Forces Bowl, but lost to the Utah Utes, 25-13. The football team was ranked in the BCS standings for the first time in school history on Oct. 15, 2006, breaking in at No. 25.

Motto Wisdom, Faith, Service
Established 1894
Type Private
Religious Affiliation Presbyterian
Endowment $704 million (February 2005)
President Dr. Steadman Upham
Staff 304 (full-time)
Students 4,174
Undergraduates 2,756
Postgraduates 665 law, 753
Location Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Campus Urban, 230 acres (930,000 mē)