PDA

View Full Version : Tell us about your BACKFIELD prospects for next year!

Old Cardinal
12-15-2002, 08:45 PM
This is just a discussion starter, to share with us a little about your favorite team's offensive backs for next year...Fire away!

<small>[ December 15, 2002, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

big daddy russ
12-15-2002, 09:22 PM
Ryan Lyman of Ingleside. The kid is amazing. He played safety, running back, receiver and even filled in at quarterback for around five games this year. If you ever get the chance to see him run the ball, it's Barry Sanders-like. Oh, and on top of that, he's an absolute top-quality kid. A devout Christian, he doesn't even cuss... and he expects his friends and teammates to behave similarly.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-15-2002, 11:24 PM
Down in good ol' Port Isabel.....QB Gabe Alvarez, and FB John Nieto (kakarot on here) are returning. Alvarez is a quick, shifty option type QB with good speed, and an ok arm. Nieto will probably be moved from FB to RB to replace 32-3A District MVP RB Joey Loera who is graduating. (Nieto is a step faster than Loera). A youngster will need to step up and play FB well....however, WR speedsters Joe Arevalo and "Missle" Iracheta (KoolTarpon21) are also returning, and could probably see some time at RB with Nieto as FB on occasional plays. Those two (Arevalo and Iracheta) will also handle the KR and PR duties for the Tarpons. Also, Port Isabel's ENTIRE OFFENSIVE LINE is returning, along with a very good blocking TE Barrera. With all that, Port Isabel's offense will be incredibly tough to stop.

The big key is at FB. Should Nieto be moved to RB, then whoever comes in at FB will need to step up and do the job well. Should Nieto remain as the FB, then whoever comes in at RB will need to step it up also. If I was a bettin' man, i'd put my money on Nieto being moved from FB to RB. Not only is he a step faster than Loera is, he also runs with power and is tough to bring down.

Jacket2000
12-15-2002, 11:53 PM
It's not 3a, but Im gonna talk about it anyway! LOL
Ennis is losing one half of their 1-2 punch in Thurston Ashley. But, return the other half in 2 year starter Denard Cox. 6ft, 190lbs, 4.5. Fast, strong, good vision. Could start for just about any team in Texas.
QB Graham Harrell showed some running skills in the playoffs, but he's still a much better passer. But, there will need to be some major attitude adjustments made in the offseason on his part.
On the down side, the Lions are losing most of the offensive line(most of which are 2 years starters). There is some potential to fill in the holes, but wont be sure about the quality untill they play some.
J2K

Keith7
12-16-2002, 12:04 AM
In Gainesville.. Terrius Purvey is coming back off a season where he had 627 yards as a back up on only 42 carries, thats a 15 yard per carry average he is only a sophmore this year.. plus our QB, Chris Brown is back he had 1056 yards, and 12 TDs and only 3 ints plus 370 rushing yards and 5 Touchdowns..

jason
12-16-2002, 11:07 AM
Forney gets everybody back....look for the to make a good run in 2003 !!!

GO FORNEY !!!

PPHSfan
12-16-2002, 11:52 AM
We will have the best backfield that money can buy.

Did I say that?

I should not have said that
http://images.andale.com/f2/130/113/8147393/1040057399815_hagrid.GIF

big daddy russ
12-16-2002, 12:06 PM
big daddy russ:
Ryan Lyman of Ingleside. The kid is amazing. He played safety, running back, receiver and even filled in at quarterback for around five games this year. If you ever get the chance to see him run the ball, it's Barry Sanders-like. Oh, and on top of that, he's an absolute top-quality kid. A devout Christian, he doesn't even cuss... and he expects his friends and teammates to behave similarly.Sorry... I misunderstood the topic. Lyman will be back, possibly at quarterback, along with senior-to-be C.J. Jackson (FB-started as a sophomore) junior-to-be Michael Fenton (RB/WB-started as a sophomore) and sophomore-to-be Brandon Stacy (RB/WB-started a couple of games this year as a freshman). Another possibility has one of a two other seniors-to-be taking over the reigns at QB and Lyman playing wherever needed.

vet93
12-16-2002, 02:59 PM
Ballinger returns its starting quarterback and fullback. I don't know the exact stats but Antonio Posey rushed for over 1400 yards while missing two games completely and playing limited action in two other games. He was the district MVP. The quarterback, McGee passed for 1200 to 1400 yards as well.

everman_guy
12-16-2002, 05:01 PM
Everman

RB- Glen Burns 31 carries 352 yards, Robert Moore (100 yards game when Theo Miller was hurt). Marcus Jamison (most talented of all, will be a force next year)

FB- Lawrence Alexander (biggest load I have ever seen for a freshman), Tony Allen (several touchdowns late in games), Gerald Langston (also had success in blowouts)

Everman will not return any backs, but the ones coming are as talented. They will be fine, as the JV went 10-0, freshman 7-3 (2 losses to JV?Sophomores teams), Junior High went 35-0-1.

Old Cardinal
12-16-2002, 08:50 PM
Bridge City, next year, is loaded with QB's- Steven Broussard an option-type Senior, Ben Myers a Junior(QB), with a great Passing ability and great speed- and a Sophomore named Haymon that can light up the scoreboard with his passing(may end up, the best College prospect we have had in years). Ben Myers(QB)is a topflight Catcher in baseball and he has used that arm to his advantage in football. On running backs, Jon Landry is the best kept secret in town. He will be a Junior, he is very big, and faster than Peebles, spending most of his time playing safety this year as a Sophomore. Michael "The Moose" Gauthier will be a Senior and he is quick and tough and had a good year as cornerback and backup tailback. The clincher is that there are 3 other Sophomore big running backs next year that should be ready to contribute substancially by playoff time. BC will start out slow, with so many Juniors and Soph's, but will possibly get rolling by Playoff time, as usual.

Old Cardinal
12-19-2002, 09:18 PM
I would like to here about so other team's backfields for next year?

ThaRealBulldog
12-19-2002, 09:56 PM
Jamon Edwards, Carthage, was awsome this year 16 3a off. mvp and will wreck shop this next year.

AnotherEagle
12-20-2002, 01:42 AM
Newton's has an elite squad coming back QB-Joe McClemore/Sammy Adams.McClemore is a senior played Wr/DB this past year and is fast and can throw a bullet!He's very versitile from what I've seenruns like a 4.48 in the 40.Adams is also fast he runs a 4.5 in the 40. He was the #10 played FS until he tore his ACL But will be back even stronger?They both are good players and love the game of FOOTBALL at Newton High? McClemore is about 6'0 170 and Adams is 5'11 165

AnotherEagle
12-20-2002, 01:52 AM
The backs are Stiffon etheridge a junior about 6'0 185 runs a 4.49 in the 40. and Johnnie Maxy 5'11 180 runs a 4.50 in the 40.and Johnny Jackson
5'11 190 4.5 they are all great backs and will light up the boards and charts Newton will be packed with 600+ rushers even QB's I dont know the Wr's for sure

Pudlugger
12-20-2002, 09:35 AM
La Grange comes back loaded in the backfield. Chase Anderle at Qb and Cody Wilson at tailback will be a threat on the option. Kelsey Thornton will start at fullback and was a very strong runner up the middle for the Leps this year as Boothe's back-up. He would have started in any other team in our district I'm sure. Danson Wolfe, a strong blocker with speed and aggressiveness, rounds out a very balanced backfield next season for the Leps.

The big question next year will be the interior line. With two excellent tight ends returning (including all district first team TE Lance Schramm) the Leps be rebuilding everything in between. There are several talented kids who played supporting roles to the all senior Lep line this past season who could have started for most 3a schools, so I expect they will step up and get the job done. Also there are a couple of BIG sophomore tackles comming up who might surprise some folks this next season. I am already looking forward to next summer!