PDA

View Full Version : 3A Coach to Southlake Carroll?

Trap Bait
01-15-2007, 01:09 PM
What are the chances? I'm hearing that Weldon Nelms in Wimberley has been contacted. Very Interesting!

charlesrixey
01-15-2007, 01:26 PM
definately haven't heard this one yet.....doesn't sound likely, but i guess it is possible

Would have to think any 3A coach would jump at the chance

carter08
01-15-2007, 01:27 PM
short answer no
long answer- Coaching in 5a and coaching in 3a are completly different games. The kids are bigger and faster in 5A. NO one plays both ways

mac77
01-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Coaching is coaching. You guys make too much out of what level it is. I say it's harder to coach at the lower levels BECAUSE there are two-way players and fewer students. Coach Nelms has had success at Wimberley and runs the same type of offense so it isn't such a stretch fo him to be considered!

Matthew328
01-15-2007, 01:58 PM
I think it will either be Joey Florence from Denton Ryan or Hal Wasson from Fossil Ridge....

Cameron Crazy
01-15-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't think anyone from 3a will get the chance to coach there.

TexanAlum_06
01-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I have had the privelege to play under Nelms at wimberley from 01-05 and he is a great coach and person. But I wouldnt think he would take the SLC job. he was at Wimberley back from like 89-93 and then left and has been back since 02 and I have heard him say before that Wimberley is the place he would like to finish his career. But ya never know. I dont attend WHS anymore but i still live here. and if there was rumor he was leaving, I would of heard about it.

JuicE68
01-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Coach Story from Decatur has already had a sit-down conference with the A.D. of southlake

kepdawg
01-15-2007, 03:15 PM
I heard SLC was talking to the HC at Mingus.

jason
01-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I think it will either be Joey Florence from Denton Ryan or Hal Wasson from Fossil Ridge.... isnt that chase wassons dad??? the kid who plays at tx state??

i saw an interview with him talking about someday having the slc job

mwynn05
01-15-2007, 03:46 PM
I think it will either be Joey Florence from Denton Ryan or Hal Wasson from Fossil Ridge.... Ive heard it wont be Florence because he is going to get the Denton ISD AD job

GreenMonster
01-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Trap Bait
What are the chances? I'm hearing that Weldon Nelms in Wimberley has been contacted. Very Interesting!

The coaching biz is about WHO you know and not neccesarily what you know. One interesting little tidbit of information that I have personal knowledge of is that the head basketball coach at SLC (Brett White) worked under Weldon Nelms at Iowa Park for at least 1 season. What that tells me is that Nelms has an in at SLC that is probably speaking his praises. I too had the priveledge of playing under Nelms and he ranks at the very top of my list. Great coach and a better man. 12 years after the fact, I'd still walk through the fires of hell if he told me to just because I trust him.

Bullaholic
01-15-2007, 04:32 PM
I think it will either be Joey Florence from Denton Ryan or Hal Wasson from Fossil Ridge....

I have always thought that Joey Florence would be the final choice.

A good fit for SLC would be Sam Harrell from Ennis, but I haven't heard anything about him being in the running.

GreenMonster
01-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I have always thought that Joey Florence would be the final choice.

A good fit for SLC would be Sam Harrell from Ennis, but I haven't heard anything about him being in the running.

Sam isn't going anywhere. He's already the highest paid coach in the Metroplex. He'd have to take a pay cut to go to SLC and that isn't going to happen.

Bullaholic
01-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Sam isn't going anywhere. He's already the highest paid coach in the Metroplex. He'd have to take a pay cut to go to SLC and that isn't going to happen.

I agree with that GM, but Southlake has the $$ to go after anybody they want. They're one of those districts building $18M stadiums and doing everything first class.

j_dog
01-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by carter08
short answer no
long answer- Coaching in 5a and coaching in 3a are completly different games. The kids are bigger and faster in 5A. NO one plays both ways
That just makes coaching in 5a the easiest. If a player gets injured, coach just looks down the bench and sends in another player. Much tougher to do in 3a when there are no more players on the bench. And the player who got hurt probably goes both ways. Much more difficult to coach at the 3a level, in my opinion.

charlesrixey
01-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I heard SLC was talking to the HC at Mingus.

See, i've heard that too, but that the benefit package didn't include a deer stand in Ozona

gato 76
01-15-2007, 08:42 PM

Could he maybe apply for the Bay City job,i even heard La Marque maybe looking for a HC/AD.

hawkfan
01-15-2007, 11:09 PM

After having played under him, I have no doubt that Coach Nelms will do a fantastic job.

olddawggreen
01-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Hal Wasson

olddawggreen
01-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by jason
isnt that chase wassons dad??? the kid who plays at tx state??

i saw an interview with him talking about someday having the slc job

Yes Chase's dad was OC under Dodge at SL before taking the HC job at Fossil Ridge.

tuff26
01-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Not going to happen....

JR2004
01-16-2007, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by carter08
short answer no

Wrong...I sat and watched Malcolm Williams play just about every single down at safety and wide receiver for Garland in their 31-24 semi-final loss to Cedar Hill. There's guys that still go both ways at the 5A level, it's just not as many as lower classifications.

Dogman_1969
01-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Don't be surprised if you don't see some 3A coaches get looks at 5A schools. It wasn't too long ago that Todd Dodge was walking the sidelines of the Cameron Yoe.

He left the Yoe and moved to the Dallas area. I guess looking back it wasn't a bad move now...................

kaorder1999
01-16-2007, 09:58 AM
today is the deadline to apply! I better get my stuff together to send!:rolleyes:

Dogman_1969
01-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Hey you could fill your staff with downlow members...........

OC - LH PantherMom install the LH slotted T offense
DC - Bobcat1 could install the Celina 10-1 defense

DU_stud04 - coach the D-line (looks like a D-lineman)
Dogman_1969 - coach the LB's (anybody could coach lb's behind DU's D-line)
C-Town Balla & Tiger94 - coach the O-line (teach them the famous Yoe holding technique)
CHS_CG - RB's coach (teach them to run scared)
Ranger Mom - coach the WR's and DB's (of course you have to have one blond on the staff with their tradition of dying their hair, because blonds have more fun at SLC)...........

rangerjim
01-16-2007, 10:24 AM
This is selfish but I hope Decatur's Coach Story stays put. Have no doubt he'd getr done at SLC. He'll be 5a soon enough.

Ranger Mom
01-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969

DC - Bobcat1 could install the Celina 10-1 defense

DU_stud04 - coach the D-line (looks like a D-lineman)
Dogman_1969 - coach the LB's (anybody could coach lb's behind DU's D-line)
C-Town Balla & Tiger94 - coach the O-line (teach them the famous Yoe holding technique)
CHS_CG - RB's coach (teach them to run scared)
Ranger Mom - coach the WR's and DB's (of course you have to have one blond on the staff with their tradition of dying their hair, because blonds have more fun at SLC)...........

I wonder if they pay more than I am making now!!:thinking: :thinking:

kaorder1999
01-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Southlake doesnt pay their assistants all that great! Better then most but nothing to get rich on!

kaorder1999
01-16-2007, 10:30 AM
with your 0 years of experience you would be at 42,000 for your teaching plus a coaching stipend of around 5k Im guessing. Would be around 50k or so after paid for your 10 days if Southlake does that.

kaorder1999
01-16-2007, 10:32 AM
SOUTHLAKES PAY SCHEDULE (http://www.southlakecarroll.edu/Personnel/Teacher%20Hiring%20Schedule%202006-07.pdf)

LH Panther Mom
01-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969

I'd be more inclined to install the slotted spoon offense there. :evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

g$$
01-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by mac77
Coaching is coaching. You guys make too much out of what level it is. I say it's harder to coach at the lower levels BECAUSE there are two-way players and fewer students. Coach Nelms has had success at Wimberley and runs the same type of offense so it isn't such a stretch fo him to be considered!

Exactly, well-said. The cream always rises to the top. Same with players. Were Eric Dickerson (then 2A Sealy) & Shaquille O'Neal (then 3A SA Cole), among others, lesser players because they came from small schools? Of course not!

I don't doubt Coach Nelms has been contacted. He has had great success & runs the spread. Will he get it? Probably not.

kaorder1999
01-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Factors to consider...

1) does the coach have ties with Southlake?
2) Is the coaches name Joey Florence?

That's all that matters in this hire....
It will either be Wasson or Florence

kaorder1999
01-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Southlake isnt going to trust their job to someone that is not a current 4A or 5A head coach. Thats just how the business works!

hawkfan
01-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Southlake isnt going to trust their job to someone that is not a current 4A or 5A head coach. Thats just how the business works!

They might.North Texas is going to trust a guy who just coached high school. That seems alot bigger jump than from 3A to 5A.

charlesrixey
01-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan
They might.North Texas is going to trust a guy who just coached high school. That seems alot bigger jump than from 3A to 5A.

touche'

Matthew328
01-16-2007, 10:06 PM
I wish I could find that hit from Texas A&M and TCU on youtube...