PDA

View Full Version : stomp the yard

DU_stud04
01-13-2007, 04:00 AM
(skip to bottom for easy explanation)

After the death of his younger brother, a troubled 19-year-old street dancer from Los Angeles is able to bypass juvenile hall by enrolling in the historically black, Truth University in Atlanta, Georgia. But his efforts to get an education and woo the girl he likes are sidelined when he is courted by the top two campus fraternities, both of which want and need his fierce street-style dance moves to win the highly coveted national step show competition.

All in all, most people could have seen this movie, a remix of "You got served"+ "Drum line"...and in reality, it is that but yet again far away from it. I enjoyed this one, which I've been wanting to see since i first saw the previews. It pertained a lot of good dancing, and some stepping as well.

in this movie, the beginning kinda made me feel a tad bit motion-sick with all the seeming fast forward effects added to the dancers,almost to the effect of matrix time on extacy. it didn't last long however and the movie really got into full stride. A lot of great dancing.

all in all, even though predictable, it was still an enjoyable movie, defiantly see with friends and crack jokes. i had the fortunate chance of watching this one with a lot of my friends who are in Omega Psi Phi Fraternity(ΩΨΦ ) and we had a blast. A lot better than the yahoo ratings of a C+ LINK (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809280787/info;_ylt=AmsChGzjtdNJvErSebLPfNZfVXcA)

In short, i enjoyed it, lots of good dancing/stepping, have fun with it...enjoy.

SintonFan
01-13-2007, 04:13 AM
This review belongs in the "Recent rented videos" category.:p

piratebg
01-13-2007, 06:01 AM
I'll wait for the DVD if I ever get curious enough to watch this one.

halfnhalf
01-13-2007, 11:15 AM
I honestly can say that as long as I live I will never see or have any kind of urge to see that movie.

pirate4state
01-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Dude, you went to the movies and didn't call???? :p :p ;) :D

haha j/k - all this rain sucks! :mad: :(

DU_stud04
01-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Dude, you went to the movies and didn't call???? :p :p ;) :D

haha j/k - all this rain sucks! :mad: :( the rain does suck, i need to unpack and finish putting up but the rainy weather just puts me to sleep.

District303aPastPlayer
01-13-2007, 01:00 PM
This movie was absolutely nuts. The last dance routine at the very end had the theatre i watched it in going bananas... I watched it with some of my friends who i dance with at the club... needless to say.. we were all wow-ed...

kssssssssssss
Pythons up :)

(my friends opinion from myspace)

yes, the movie is the ishhh. ..talking bout the dancing ,acceptance of the black heritage and college, what it is to step, and a fraternity and what it means to be true........basic story line of love, devotion, pride, outlaw, and divide and conquer.

Emerson1
01-13-2007, 01:07 PM
What was the name of that other dance movie that sucked?

District303aPastPlayer
01-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Take The Lead is the only dance movie ive seen that sucked...

DU_stud04
01-13-2007, 01:10 PM
What was the name of that other dance movie that sucked? you got served?

District303aPastPlayer
01-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
you got served?

the story line sucked in that one... but the dance battle at the end was good...

NDFootball
01-13-2007, 01:12 PM

You Got Served....what a name

This should not be a movie. I would never pay 7-8 bucks to see this movie. Ever. You could either rent this or go to the matinee if you ever have the urge to waste your money on this, it comes out to about the same price.

P.S. Unfortunately I DID waste 7-8 bucks to see Alpha Dog. That movie sucks too take my advice and don't go.

District303aPastPlayer
01-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
P.S. Unfortunately I DID waste 7-8 bucks to see Alpha Dog. That movie sucks too take my advice and don't go.

i was told otherwise...

DU_stud04
01-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
the story line sucked in that one... but the dance battle at the end was good... then you basically are saying the movie sucked. ;)

question, if a 2 hour long movie was just terrible but had 10 minutes of really good stuff....is it a good movie or one of those things you'd rather wait till that scene is on youtube???

District303aPastPlayer
01-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
then you basically are saying the movie sucked. ;)

question, if a 2 hour long movie was just terrible but had 10 minutes of really good stuff....is it a good movie or one of those things you'd rather wait till that scene is on youtube???

youtube. but the thing with YGS is that i downloaded it after it came out on DVD... :)

eagles_victory
01-13-2007, 02:14 PM
I watched You Got Served yesterday. I guess it gets the name from at the end of the last competiton they say today YOU GOT SERVED. After seeing all the bad acting I realized I was the only one who got served. And speaking of dumb titles how dumb is Stomp The Yard.

NDFootball
01-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Kinda says something about where our culture is headed doesn't it? Movies just kinda keep degenerating...along with lots of other stuff. i.e. network tv...mindless crap...music is getting that way too

Emerson1
01-13-2007, 03:07 PM
I don't get how you would think this movie shows where our culture is heading.

Matthew328
01-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Stomp the Yard as a name makes sense...

When you are stepping, typically you stomp on the ground or jump and make a noise similar to stomping...

At most universites the area of dorms or frat houses is called "The Yard"

Hence the name Stomp the Yard

Guess you'd have to understand what's going on in the movie to get the name....

District303aPastPlayer
01-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Stomp the Yard as a name makes sense...

When you are stepping, typically you stomp on the ground or jump and make a noise similar to stomping...

At most universites the area of dorms or frat houses is called "The Yard"

Hence the name Stomp the Yard

Guess you'd have to understand what's going on in the movie to get the name....

true... true...

bandera7
01-14-2007, 01:25 AM
I disagree that movies are degenerating. I actually watched the Illusionist today, and it was amazing. That is one of the most complex movies I have ever seen. New movies are having to be more creative, if anything else. The whole movie has to matter now, because old movies have done so much, and the new ones dont want to be the same old repetitive stuff. So IMO movies are getting better, not worse.