PDA

View Full Version : UT football coaches get raises

kaorder1999
01-13-2007, 12:52 AM
UT football coaches get raises

07:27 PM CST on Friday, January 12, 2007
By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN - Texas co-defensive coordinators Duane Akina, who will call the plays, and Larry Mac Duff, who will coach linebackers and assist Akina, each will earn $300,000 next season, according to records obtained under the Texas Open Records Act.

For Akina, the salary for 2007 is a raise from the $252,800 he earned in 2006.

Akina's predecessor, Gene Chizik, who left Texas to become head coach at Iowa State, earned $325,400 while serving as co-defensive coordinator with Akina last season.

Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis will see his pay increase from $325,400 in 2006 to $351,440 in 2007.

Coach Mack Brown's salary in 2007 is $2.659 million, a $100,000 increase from 2006. Brown has a contract through 2014 that automatically increases his pay every year by $100,000.

UT officials say Brown's contract isn't likely to be impacted by an eight-year, $32 million compensation package reportedly given by Alabama to new coach Nick Saban.

E-mail chipbrown@dallasnews.com

Bull Butter
01-13-2007, 01:53 AM
Raises? For beating a 6-6 Iowa team by 2 points in the Alamo Bowl?

Gee, I hope last year, they got stocks, bonds and real estate!

LitanyofFury
01-13-2007, 04:23 AM
Franochino gets paid over $2 mill a year to get beatdown in each bowl game the Ags make. . .when they actually make a bowl game.;)

charlesrixey
01-13-2007, 09:39 AM
they didn't exactly restructure the contract, it was already in place before the season--and i bet if you said at the start of the year that the longhorns would have been 10-3, i think most fans would have been satisfied

Colt's rediculous start and getting very close to another championship berth before losing their final two games kind of spoiled us

Bull Butter
01-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
Franochino gets paid over $2 mill a year to get beatdown in each bowl game the Ags make. . .when they actually make a bowl game.;)

Ah, the LitanyofFury "conditioned response".
Anytime anyone says something with the slightest bit of negativity toward Texas, he automatically goes to the "A&M card" Seriously, Pavlov would have had a field day with you.

Nice try, but I'm not even an Aggie, so your response means nothing to me, except another futile attempt to hijack a thread and turn it into yet another A&M-UT pissing match.

tigerpride_08
01-13-2007, 03:22 PM
good for them...:clap: ...now they better do better next year...:D

LitanyofFury
01-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Ah, the LitanyofFury "conditioned response".
Anytime anyone says something with the slightest bit of negativity toward Texas, he automatically goes to the "A&M card" Seriously, Pavlov would have had a field day with you.

Nice try, but I'm not even an Aggie, so your response means nothing to me, except another futile attempt to hijack a thread and turn it into yet another A&M-UT pissing match.

Calm. . .down.

Texas has put up the most wins out of ANY program in the past decade plus two BCS wins, one of which was a title. Mack's contract already had the raises built in, and Akina DESERVED a raise considering he got promoted to Co-DC with Mac Duff. So, sorry, but your entire post was asinine to begin with. Next time I won't throw out a joke and I'll just pick your post apart first if that's what you'd like.

And on a side note. . .Kirk Ferentz at Iowa gets paid more than Mack. Do your homework next time.

mwynn05
01-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Calm. . .down.

Texas has put up the most wins out of ANY program in the past decade plus two BCS wins, one of which was a title. Mack's contract already had the raises built in, and Akina DESERVED a raise considering he got promoted to Co-DC with Mac Duff. So, sorry, but your entire post was asinine to begin with. Next time I won't throw out a joke and I'll just pick your post apart first if that's what you'd like.

And on a side note. . .Kirk Ferentz at Iowa gets paid more than Mack. Do your homework next time. He never said Kirk Ferentz made less maybe you need to learn how to read instead of trying to find something to attack someone with

LitanyofFury
01-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
He never said Kirk Ferentz made less maybe you need to learn how to read instead of trying to find something to attack someone with

No. . .he made a big deal about how Texas coaches got paid SO much when they could only beat a 6-6 Iowa team. Yet the coach of that 6-6 Iowa team makes quite a bit more than Mack does.....

Maybe you need to take a class in common sense?

mwynn05
01-13-2007, 04:47 PM
No. . .he made a big deal about how Texas coaches got paid SO much when they could only beat a 6-6 Iowa team. Yet the coach of that 6-6 Iowa team makes quite a bit more than Mack does.....

Maybe you need to take a class in common sense? No he made fun of them getting a raise maybe you need that class along with reading comprehension.....You're a shame to the University of Texas and their fans

Bull Butter
01-13-2007, 06:41 PM
The gist of my post was that what they accomplished last season much more merited a raise than what was accomplished this season.

BTW, I couldn't care less what Kirk Ferentz makes. No need to do homework.

You wrote the book on asinine. You're assuming I'm an Aggie because I didn't post something glowing about UT. Wake up, it's not only Aggies that hate UT.

LitanyofFury
01-13-2007, 07:55 PM
The gist of my post was that what they accomplished last season much more merited a raise than what was accomplished this season.

BTW, I couldn't care less what Kirk Ferentz makes. No need to do homework.

You wrote the book on asinine. You're assuming I'm an Aggie because I didn't post something glowing about UT. Wake up, it's not only Aggies that hate UT.

Listen. Your post was talking about the salaries of college football coaches. You were specifically pointing out that in your opinion the UT coaches were overpaid and didn't deserve raises because they could only get their team to go 10-3 and barely beat a 6-6 Iowa team.

I made a joke about Fran because he is one of the highest paid coaches in the NCAA and he's barely above a .500 winning percentage at ATM and in the two bowl games his teams have gotten to they've gotten killed. Even g$$ the most diehard Aggie around here admits the guy is a chump and should be gone. It had nothing to do with me thinking you were an Aggie. It had everything to do with the fact that out of the highest paid coaches in the NCAA, Mack and his staff have performed the best which makes your weak attempt at slamming them ridiculous and yes, asinine. Your stupidity was even further compounded by the fact that you brought up Texas barely beating a 6-6 Iowa team when Kirk Ferentz, the head coach of that 6-6 team, gets paid a good bit more than Mack Brown and hasn't had near the success.

Admit the fact that you were purposely trying to "college bash" and you did a piss poor job of it and then you overreacted to my joke because you wanted to act like a big shot. Then, after attacking me, one of your halfwit buddies jumped in and accused ME of attacking you when I did nothing of the sort. I only attacked the idiocy of your original post. Now, knowing that you'd been outted and made to look like a fool, the only thing left for you to do was accuse me of only responding because I "thought you were an Aggie" and blah blah blah. I was trying to take your OP which was OBVIOUSLY purposely inflammatory and make a joke of it so I wouldn't have to call you out on how stupid it was. Thanks tho for blowing up and making yourself look like even more of a clown and allowing me to pick you apart. It's been a pleasure.:thumbsup:

LitanyofFury
01-13-2007, 07:58 PM
No he made fun of them getting a raise maybe you need that class along with reading comprehension.....You're a shame to the University of Texas and their fans

And you're a glowing beacon for the intelligence of whoever it is you support.:rolleyes:

Honestly mwynn. . .you need to find a new hobby. You going around trying to play defender for all these people isn't helping them a bit.

Bull Butter
01-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Listen. Your post was talking about the salaries of college football coaches. You were specifically pointing out that in your opinion the UT coaches were overpaid and didn't deserve raises because they could only get their team to go 10-3 and barely beat a 6-6 Iowa team.

I made a joke about Fran because he is one of the highest paid coaches in the NCAA and he's barely above a .500 winning percentage at ATM and in the two bowl games his teams have gotten to they've gotten killed. Even g$$ the most diehard Aggie around here admits the guy is a chump and should be gone. It had nothing to do with me thinking you were an Aggie. It had everything to do with the fact that out of the highest paid coaches in the NCAA, Mack and his staff have performed the best which makes your weak attempt at slamming them ridiculous and yes, asinine. Your stupidity was even further compounded by the fact that you brought up Texas barely beating a 6-6 Iowa team when Kirk Ferentz, the head coach of that 6-6 team, gets paid a good bit more than Mack Brown and hasn't had near the success.

Admit the fact that you were purposely trying to "college bash" and you did a piss poor job of it and then you overreacted to my joke because you wanted to act like a big shot. Then, after attacking me, one of your halfwit buddies jumped in and accused ME of attacking you when I did nothing of the sort. I only attacked the idiocy of your original post. Now, knowing that you'd been outted and made to look like a fool, the only thing left for you to do was accuse me of only responding because I "thought you were an Aggie" and blah blah blah. I was trying to take your OP which was OBVIOUSLY purposely inflammatory and make a joke of it so I wouldn't have to call you out on how stupid it was. Thanks tho for blowing up and making yourself look like even more of a clown and allowing me to pick you apart. It's been a pleasure.:thumbsup:

Who blew up?

Looks like I struck a nerve with someone:D

Dude, take an anger management course. You take stuff way too seriously.

This thread was about UT coaches. My original post was right on topic. You brought up Fran, thus making YOU the one who tried to make it a college bash.

However, the Pavlov comment still holds true, just adjusted a little. Say anything slightly negative about UT and Litany turns into a raving lunatic.
At least most of the UT fans here are rational folks like Phil, you can have a decent conversation without them going ballistic.

District303aPastPlayer
01-13-2007, 08:40 PM

seriously... fighting on the internet...? there is a joke about this involving the special olympics, i'll let you figure that one out...

LitanyofFury
01-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
seriously... fighting on the internet...? there is a joke about this involving the special olympics, i'll let you figure that one out...

Who's fighting? Sounds like debating to me. . .maybe to an uneducated person it looks like fighting. And nice job making fun of people with special needs. You're a class act.

LitanyofFury
01-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Who blew up?

Looks like I struck a nerve with someone:D

Dude, take an anger management course. You take stuff way too seriously.

This thread was about UT coaches. My original post was right on topic. You brought up Fran, thus making YOU the one who tried to make it a college bash.

However, the Pavlov comment still holds true, just adjusted a little. Say anything slightly negative about UT and Litany turns into a raving lunatic.
At least most of the UT fans here are rational folks like Phil, you can have a decent conversation without them going ballistic.

Uh. . .here, let me dumb this down so you can understand it. . .Fran is a college coach and your post was about the salaries of college coaches. I wasn't bashing the Aggies at all. . .I was poking fun at Fran who most Aggy fans hate.

If you'd said something like "Ramonce Taylor has character issues" or "Texas plays down to their competition" or "Texas had trouble finishing the season against teams they should have beaten" or any other numerous things that were true about the Horns I would have agreed with you completely. However, you decided to act like the Longhorn coaches got huge raises and didn't deserve them when that obviously isn't anywhere close to the truth and I called you on it.

And in regards to the Pavlov nonsense. . .take a look at the plank in your own eye first. Anytime someone disagrees with one of you Horn bashers/haters (and you are because you admitted that "not only Aggies hate the Horns" in an earlier post) you fly off the handle and get all pissy when someone stomps all over your weak arguments. You then try and spin a complete shredding of said weak argument into me taking stuff too seriously or striking a nerve. Lame! I mean, how sad is it that someone has to hate an entire University and post up stuff about their coaches and then reply to their own original post to bash them? Go find a new hobby while the Horn coaches keep hauling in the bucks and the 10+ win seasons.

Bull Butter
01-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Please tell me where I "blew up" and "flew off the handle"?

Want dumbed down? Let me dumb it down for you for the 3rd time since I can't make you understand and you obviously think you can read my thoughts, which you can't.........

My post was aimed at the question as to why the UT coaches got raises after THIS YEAR as opposed to last season, after they won the NC. Did they recieve a raise after last year? If so, why did they get another one after underperforming (your words) this year?

My points as to why I might think a raise was not merited
1. Losing 3 games in 06 after winning the NC.
2. Recieving a raise one year after winning the NC, why no raise after the '05 season?
3, Struggling in a Bowl game against an inferior opponent.

Now, instead of attacking me and calling me stupid, asinine and idiotic, tell me WHY the raises were given. You obviously believe the raises were merited. OK, tell me why you think that way

LitanyofFury
01-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Please tell me where I "blew up" and "flew off the handle"?

Want dumbed down? Let me dumb it down for you for the 3rd time since I can't make you understand and you obviously think you can read my thoughts, which you can't.........

My post was aimed at the question as to why the UT coaches got raises after THIS YEAR as opposed to last season, after they won the NC. Did they recieve a raise after last year? If so, why did they get another one after underperforming (your words) this year?

My points as to why I might think a raise was not merited
1. Losing 3 games in 06 after winning the NC.
2. Recieving a raise one year after winning the NC, why no raise after the '05 season?
3, Struggling in a Bowl game against an inferior opponent.

Now, instead of attacking me and calling me stupid, asinine and idiotic, tell me WHY the raises were given. You obviously believe the raises were merited. OK, tell me why you think that way

Oh my God. . .this is so sad.

1st. . .as was stated in the article that YOU went and looked up. . .Mack's "raise" was already built into his contract. So, technically, he didn't get a "raise" this year. His contract continued to play itself out just like it will next year when he makes $100,000 more and the year after that when he makes another $100,000 more.

2nd. . .Duane Akina got promoted to Co-defensive co-ordinator. He received this promotion because Chizik left for Iowa St. If Chizik had stayed. . .Akina doesn't get promoted. . .thus, no raise. Unless you think it makes good business sense to promote someone and not pay them more money.....

3rd. . .the raises for the rest of the coaching staff are MINISCULE at best.

For instance:

Bruce Chambers tight ends $160,981 $165,360
Oscar Giles defensive ends $144,600 $148,488

Wow. . .that's a HUGE pay jump right there for how much those guys get paid each year.:rolleyes:

The only coach that got a huge pay jump without getting promoted was Greg freaking Davis

Greg Davis offensive coordinator $325,400 $351,440

and trust me, most everyone at Orangebloods thinks he didn't deserve it, me included.

4th. . .what do you know specifically about the pay grades of college football coaches? Not a thing I'd guess. Deloss Dodds and the University control how much those coaches get paid and when. I'd be willing to bet their contracts were up and the pay grade went up with their renewals. I guarantee you that you won't see all the Florida Gator coaches getting a pay raise just because they won a title this year.

5th. . .when you call out a specific group of coaches you automatically bring the pay grades of other coaches at the same level into the discussion as a measuring stick to see if your point was asinine or valid. Your point was asinine. The Texas coaches have performed better than any other set of coaches in college football according to the records. You specifically talked about them "barely" beating this 6-6 Iowa team, yet Kirk Ferentz gets paid more than Mack. I don't know what his assistants get paid but I'd guess they get paid very well also. So, right there we're seeing that the Texas coaches are outperforming people making more than them. Fran is a GREAT example because he makes comparable money to Mack and his record over his stretch at College Station isn't anywhere close to stellar. So, again, the Texas coaches are outperforming their peers.

I mean at one point you ask why they didn't get a raise last year after winning a title and now you're complaining about them getting raises after 10 wins. Heck, maybe Deloss realized how valuable this staff was. I mean, they've won 10+ games the past six seasons. . .no team has EVER done that. Maybe it was their "record setting" bonus. Who knows?

Point is. . .you attacked the Horns purposely on a non-issue and you did a bad job of it maestro. And nowhere did I attack you personally. While you were comparing me to a dog (classy) I was only ever attacking your argument and the fact that it was making you look foolish. Meanwhile, you continue to try and make this into a UT vs. ATM thing when that's as far from the truth as possible. Coaches don't have allegiances to any one college as guys like Saban have shown in recent history and my Fran joke only had to do with him himself as a coach, not the Aggies.

Why don't YOU stop taking things so seriously by not going off on people making a joke about "Little Debbie" Franochino so they don't have to come in and school you in your own thread. If you really have a problem with the UT coaches pay scale here's their number. . .I'm SURE they'll listen to everything you have to say on the issue.:thumbsup:

Football Office 471-3050
Mack Brown, Head Coach 471-1544

mwynn05
01-14-2007, 04:37 AM
You're the one getting all upset....

LitanyofFury
01-14-2007, 06:17 AM
You're the one getting all upset....

Sorry. . .what does this say? I can't read remember? And I'm a disgrace to UT and their fans and whatnot as well....:rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
01-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Oh my God. . .this is so sad.

and trust me, most everyone at Orangebloods

The sad thing is that this continues. Someone mentions UT in any manner other that "wonderful Horns", regardles of what it is, and you get defensive and throw out something about A&M. Keep it on Orangebloods. Enough already.....