PDA

View Full Version : Poor Rice..Already lose HC

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Rice's Graham accepts Tulsa job

03:09 PM CST on Friday, January 12, 2007
Associated Press

TULSA, Okla. – Tulsa hired Rice's Todd Graham as its new head coach Friday, replacing Steve Kragthorpe with his former defensive coordinator.

Graham, 42, ran Kragthorpe's defense for three years at Tulsa before taking the Rice job last year. He turned around the Owls program, taking a team that had been 1-10 in 2005 and leading it to a 7-6 season and its first bowl game in 45 years.

"I'm very excited for my family, and thrilled about this opportunity to be the head football coach at the University of Tulsa," Graham said in a statement. "To be able to return to a program that you helped to rebuild, and now have the chance to take it to an even higher level is exciting."

His flight from Houston was diverted to Kansas City, Mo., because of freezing weather in Tulsa, and he was preparing to meet with the media in a telephone conference call Friday afternoon.

Kragthorpe left Tulsa on Tuesday to replace Bobby Petrino at Louisville. The same day, Graham signed a contract to stay at Rice until 2012. However, Tulsa was still able to lure him away.

Graham, a North Mesquite alum and former herad coach at Allen, takes over a program that he helped Kragthorpe resurrect. Tulsa had won only one game in each of the two seasons before Kragthorpe took over in 2003. His staff led Division I's best turnaround, as the Golden Hurricane went to a bowl game for the first time since 1991

AggieJohn
01-12-2007, 04:41 PM
wonder if Major becomes the HEad Caoch

setxsports
01-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Believe he said he was accepting the OC at Alabama.

g$$
01-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
wonder if Major becomes the HEad Caoch

Feel sorry for Rice, but expected. Graham did a good job. I just wish he had been more honest, like when he signed an extension this week!

Major is headed to Bama as of now to be their QBs coach. Rice could change that & name a 27 yr. old their new HC. Doubtful but possible.

Rice is in trouble, again. Baseball #1 preseason though under another Graham (Wayne).

AggieJohn
01-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Feel sorry for Rice, but expected. Graham did a good job. I just wish he had been more honest, like when he signed an extension this week!

Major is headed to Bama as of now to be their QBs coach. Rice could change that & name a 27 yr. old their new HC. Doubtful but possible.

Rice is in trouble, again. Baseball #1 preseason though under another Graham (Wayne). My TAMU-CC plays Texas and Texas A&M this year

just wish we didn't suck...the last coach sucked the life out of our players it was rediculous

Adidas410s
01-12-2007, 04:59 PM
wow...he signs an extension and then leaves 3 days later!!! Shocking indeed!!! :(

Phil C
01-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
wow...he signs an extension and then leaves 3 days later!!! Shocking indeed!!! :(

Is there no morality left in this world? :( :rolleyes: :mad:

kaorder1999
01-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Major said he was taking the OC job at Alabama before this job came open. Rice might be crazy enough to give it to him!

Adidas410s
01-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Is there no morality left in this world? :( :rolleyes: :mad:

scary times indeed!!! :mad:

g$$
01-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
My TAMU-CC plays Texas and Texas A&M this year

just wish we didn't suck...the last coach sucked the life out of our players it was rediculous

A&M baseball will be better. Not sure how much, but improved. Gotta give Childress a chance, only his 2nd year. Mark Johnson was a good man, but it was time to go. Sam Houston will be better too. He had lots of good years at A&M & went to Omaha twice.

charlesrixey
01-12-2007, 05:35 PM
i can't believe he signed an extension THIS week!

That has to hurt, but i think rice has had a taste now and they will land another good guy, hopefully with a similar system. I also hope this doesn't hurt their recruiting too much

Rainman
01-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Here is the blog from the Houston Chronicle sports writer who covers the Owls, very well written and insightful.

http://blogs.chron.com/owls/2007/01/tg_we_hardly_knew_ya.html

As a member of the Rice Football Equipment Staff and former player.
May he get all he deserves in Tulsa.
I'm glad I no longer have to deal with the (insert choice word here) man

kaorder1999
01-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Every coach will tell you:

1) God
2) Family
3) Football

Though his players can be considered family, by taking the job at Tulsa he made the best decision for he and his family. To fault him for accepting what he was offered is just idiotic.

His salary just went from roughly around 400k to nearly 900k a year if what I've heard is true!

kaorder1999
01-13-2007, 12:37 AM
GRAHAM

"At the end of the day, I have to do what's best for my wife and my kids," he said.

Hard to fault!

Rainman
01-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Hard to fault if it were truth
This man is the worst kind of snake I've ever met

He told the world
1.God
2.Family
3.Football

He told the staff and team
1.Football
2.Football
3.Football

This monday the man spends over an hour (he is incredibly long winded) talking about his contract extention, the home he was building, and his commitment to Rice and this was to the team and then leaves in the middle of the night

Haunta Yo
01-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Rainman
Hard to fault if it were truth
This man is the worst kind of snake I've ever met

He told the world
1.God
2.Family
3.Football

He told the staff and team
1.Football
2.Football
3.Football

This monday the man spends over an hour (he is incredibly long winded) talking about his contract extention, the home he was building, and his commitment to Rice and this was to the team and then leaves in the middle of the night

Rice moves forward

By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

…School officials declined to match Tulsa's above-market offer. NCAA officials said Graham's deal at Tulsa pays between $1 million and $1.2 million a season for 8 years.

RICE better not be crying about morals/ethics after forcing out Ken Hatfield when he had 5 years remaining on his contract! Everyone keeps saying they hope Graham gets what he deserves, but I think Rice reaped what they sowed. That’s probably why Rice wasn’t willing to pony up and match Tulsa’s offer – they are still feeling Hatfield’s buyout.

Hatfield was the epitome of:
1.God
2.Family
3.Football

and ya'll traded him in for:
1.Football
2.Football
3.Football

Rainman
01-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I agree that things went down poorly with Hatfield and I having played for Hatfield I was truely hurt.

Perhaps we did get what we deserved, but the makes TG no less a lying rat.

Haunta Yo
01-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I can agree with that, but if Rice had a chance to match an offer and chose not to, then THEY let him go.

charlesrixey
01-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Rice had to know that at least hatfield had his priorities in the right place. They did get what they paid for though, a bowl bid. Isn't that what everyone wants? So now their options are to get another hatfield or get another graham. Only a few coaches give it both ways, and paterno and mack brown are among them.

charlesrixey
01-13-2007, 02:05 PM
how about growing up with this name?

By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Rainman
01-13-2007, 04:06 PM
He is refered to around Rice and the Chronicle as MK

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Not real sure why people are mad at Graham..Rice had a chance to match and turned it down. That means it is on them that he is not back.

AggieJohn
01-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Not real sure why people are mad at Graham..Rice had a chance to match and turned it down. That means it is on them that he is not back. yeah, but you just signed an extension...i could see not being here after two or three years of sub par performance and then..........ya know, forget it, what he did was just wrong..

LitanyofFury
01-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Applewhite to Bama (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/01/13/bc.fbc.alabama.applewhite.ap/index.html)

Looks like Applewhite is going to be working for Coach Sata. . .I mean, Coach Saban now.