PDA

View Full Version : Has the Leon Lett SB mistake become exaggerated?

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I am watching the Super Bowl top 10 where they rank a bunch of different things like top 10 games, top 10 plays, top 10 defensive plays and such

and they ranked Bebe stripping the ball from Leon Lett as the number #2 defensive play of all time in the Super Bowl.

Come on now #2??!??!
Yes it was an AMAZING play by Bebe, but the number #2 defensive play of all time? it was 52-17. The play did NOTHING but cause Bebe to become a cult figure. I just think that play has reached epic proportions that it should not be in.

I think Lett gets a bad rap for that play because it was not like he was a RB or a WR holding the ball out. He was a DL who got excited a little to soon..But I cant blame someone who never thought they would have the chance to score in a SB acting like that....Now the Thanksgiving mistake is another story LOL.

Adidas410s
01-12-2007, 04:05 PM
I agree...the play was a great individual effort but had zero impact on the outcome of the game. It's the biggest "who cares it didn't matter" play in the history of sport.

Phil C
01-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I am watching the Super Bowl top 10 where they rank a bunch of different things like top 10 games, top 10 plays, top 10 defensive plays and such

and they ranked Bebe stripping the ball from Leon Lett as the number #2 defensive play of all time in the Super Bowl.

Come on now #2??!??!
Yes it was an AMAZING play by Bebe, but the number #2 defensive play of all time? it was 52-17. The play did NOTHING but cause Bebe to become a cult figure. I just think that play has reached epic proportions that it should not be in.

I think Lett gets a bad rap for that play because it was not like he was a RB or a WR holding the ball out. He was a DL who got excited a little to soon..But I cant blame someone who never thought they would have the chance to score in a SB acting like that....Now the Thanksgiving mistake is another story LOL.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

My sentiments exactly TX. He did goof up against Miami on a Thanksgiving Game that cost Dallas a game.

The only thing after the Thanksgiving game Dallas didn't lose a game the rest of that season and won the super bowl. Ironically Miami never won another game that season.

Also in that super bowl game it didn't have any outcome on the game like you said.

If it was a defensive play of the game they should have had that third quarter play in the second super bowl game against the Bills. The Bills were ahead by 7 points and were driving at about their own 38 yard line. Lett hit Thurman Thomas and the ball bounced around and Gene Washington picked it up and ran for a td. This changed the game around and Dallas went on to win easily. Too bad this play isn't what he is remembered for. It possible changed a super bowl game around. Too bad he isn't remembered for all the great defensive plays he made.

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Gene??? ..I think you meant JAMES Washington

Phil C
01-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I agree...the play was a great individual effort but had zero impact on the outcome of the game. It's the biggest "who cares it didn't matter" play in the history of sport.

MAGNIFICIENT QUOTE BY AD! BRILLIANT!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

g$$
01-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Agreed, but if it had affected the outcome then it would be replayed even more. It did not, but he did have 2 bone-head plays in his career. What a player when not suspended for drugs. Too bad or he might have been in the HOF one day w/ a longer career. Lett could play.

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed, but if it had affected the outcome then it would be replayed even more. It did not, but he did have 2 bone-head plays in his career. What a player when not suspended for drugs. Too bad or he might have been in the HOF one day w/ a longer career. Lett could play.

Lett was a physical Monster..ashamed he had the mindset of a 10 year old at times. But physically he was amazing.

AP Panther Fan
01-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
....Now the Thanksgiving mistake is another story LOL.

I will NEVER forget that! I was one of two cowboy fans gathered for our family dinner....the rest were rooting for Miami (because most of my inlaws are from Florida).....it was hell, pure hell.

:doh:

Phil C
01-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I will NEVER forget that! I was one of two cowboy fans gathered for our family dinner....the rest were rooting for Miami (because most of my inlaws are from Florida).....it was hell, pure hell.

:doh:

But you had the last laugh when Miami didn't win another game that year and Dallas never lost another one that year and won the super bowl. You should have sent them a post card to remind them of that. :)

charlesrixey
01-12-2007, 05:42 PM
That's funny, all i remember from that season is 52-17...... wonder why that number keeps popping up?

How can such a meaningless play in the big picture be so infamous?

Phil C
01-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
That's funny, all i remember from that season is 52-17...... wonder why that number keeps popping up?

How can such a meaningless play in the big picture be so infamous?

I agree clair. And it is just like the Miami game. People were upet at the time but they should have got over it a couple of months later when we won the super bowl.

charlesrixey
01-12-2007, 07:47 PM
clair?

piratebg
01-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I really get tired of seeing this one every time. The game was already over anyway, but it was the only thing the Bills did good all night.

Which reminds me, what is the area code for Buffalo?

0 4 4 :D