PDA

View Full Version : DRU PROSSER of the Celina Bobcats nominated for natl award

BILLYFRED0000
01-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Dru Prosser has been nominated as an Old Spice Red Zone Player of the Year for his role in helping Celina return to its second straight state championship game.

As a result of this achievement, Prosser is among a group of players who are eligible to be selected as a national Red Zone Player of the Year and be honored in a full-page feature in USA Today in February, coinciding with the publication's National Letter of Intent Signing Day coverage. All nominees will be considered by the awards committee for the honor of being one of the 50 winners.

For the sixth straight year, Old Spice is recognizing high school football players who go above and beyond the call of duty, particularly in the red zone. The program honors athletes who are able to elevate their play and step up when the heat is really on. These athletes embody leadership, performance and desire, and serve as examples to their teammates on and off the field.

High school coaches across the country are nominating one player from their team as their Player of the Year. As a nominee, each Player of the Year will receive a plaque, a logoed fleece and other awards.

As the most versatile Bobcat this season and area 3A's sixth leading scorer, Prosser found the end zone rushing, receiving, passing, and returning an interception and a punt. The senior also kicked multiple field goals and extra points, in addition to his normal kickoff duties. Defensively, he was a standout in the Celina secondary, leading a unit that allowed fewer than nine points and 165 yards per game.

A few of the former award winners Prosser is looking to join include college football standouts JaMarcus Russell (LSU), Tim Tebow (Florida), Xavier Lee (Florida State), Antonio Pittman (Ohio State), Jordan Shipley (Texas), Drew Tate (Iowa), Marlon Lucky (Nebraska), Brent Schaeffer (Mississippi), Andre Caldwell (Florida), and Tom Zbikowski (Notre Dame).

San Diego linebacker Shawne Merriman won the Old Spice Red Zone Player of the Year award in 2001 and became the first winner to be drafted by an NFL team when he was taken by the Chargers with the 12th overall pick. Merriman won The Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year in his first season and is making a strong case for Defensive Player of the Year this season after being selected to the Pro Bowl as one of the league's best players

Rabbit'93
01-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000

San Diego linebacker Shawne Merriman won the Old Spice Red Zone Player of the Year award in 2001 and became the first winner to be drafted by an NFL team when he was taken by the Chargers with the 12th overall pick. Merriman won The Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year in his first season and is making a strong case for Defensive Player of the Year this season after being selected to the Pro Bowl as one of the league's best players Congrats Dru!!!!

As far as Merriman goes.....they left off the part about him using steriods while accomplishing all of this.

charlesrixey
01-12-2007, 05:28 PM
wow-you beat me too it!

Congratulations Dru! Definately earend it for his play in the post-season!

buff4life
01-14-2007, 02:40 AM
Congrats to Brandon Johnson from GIDDINGS for being nominated for the award also...!!!

bobcat1
01-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Take all the scoring stuff and throw it out the window and you could still give Dru the award for being Dru. What a wonderful young man. He truly leads on and off the field. Good Christian young man that is great athlete to boot! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to Brandon Johnson from Giddings as well.

WildTexan
01-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
Congrats to Brandon Johnson from GIDDINGS for being nominated for the award also...!!!

did Giddings even have a football team this year?

hmmmmm....surprising.....

I know LH had a team, cause I saw them play, but was not sure if any of those other teams were real or not since they could not make it to the annual Celina Finals Bowl.....

buff4life
01-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan
did Giddings even have a football team this year?

hmmmmm....surprising.....

I know LH had a team, cause I saw them play, but was not sure if any of those other teams were real or not since they could not make it to the annual Celina Finals Bowl.....

glad your name is wildtexan...cuz you got some freakin wild ideas...Giddings lost to the same LH team yall lost too....and if even if we played as one sided coaching as we always did...i feel very confident that GIDDINGS WOULD HAVE BEATEN celina if they would have played....our Defense would have shut the cats down and the offense would muster enough to win....so yea, they had a team

BILLYFRED0000
01-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Take all the scoring stuff and throw it out the window and you could still give Dru the award for being Dru. What a wonderful young man. He truly leads on and off the field. Good Christian young man that is great athlete to boot! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

That is as true a statement as ever was made. Dru is just a solid
guy all the way around. Gonna miss that young man. At least I am lucky enough to be friends with his family and when he comes back home for the weekends from college I will see him from time
to time. My little 6 year old just thinks dru hung the moon. Funny
thing tho is my 8 year old daughter loves Nathaniel his brother.

charlesrixey
01-15-2007, 02:19 PM
i've got to hand it to tex, he manages to make everything controversial!

Cameron Crazy
01-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Thats nice!