PDA

View Full Version : Update on Weatherford football player death

CenTexSports
01-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Third party in Fielder accident found

Christina Childs
cchilds@weatherforddemocrat.com

As of 6 p.m. Thursday, Weatherford Police Department detectives were well into their interview with a 30-year-old Granbury man, who police state is the third party involved in the auto accident that claimed the life Weatherford High School student-athlete Willie Fielder Monday afternoon.

“There is no doubt that this is the witness we were looking for,” said Weatherford Police Department Lt. Chris Crawford.

The man, whose name has yet to be released, told detectives he was aware of the search to find him on Tuesday, but was afraid to come in until Thursday.

The Granbury man’s car, a silver Lincoln LS, is the make and model reported to police by two eye witnesses Monday afternoon.

Crawford said it is too early to speculate as to what exactly happened and what role the car played in the incident.

“Over the next day or two we will release more information,” Crawford said. “But he definitely is a key part to our investigation.”

Eye witness Stacy Owens said there is no speculation to the matter. She, along with another Weatherford resident who wishes to remain anonymous due to fear of retaliation from parties involved, watched the entire event unfold.

“I was driving down South Main,” Owens began. “I noticed a Lincoln that was champagne colored, and as I got to the College Park light, it was red and we all had to stop.

“The light turned green and I took notice of a dark blue Chevy and the Lincoln, and they accelerated, as to not let the other one in front of the other one and racing to get ahead.

“At the time, I also noticed a white sedan pulling out to make a left-hand turn onto North Main.

“Then, I saw the white sedan in the northbound lane of traffic, and in the meantime, I noticed the Chevy and the Lincoln were still accelerating and began to bump one another.

“The second time they bumped, it put the pickup into a spin, turning it to the left and it struck the sedan, continued to spin and then came to a stop heading northbound.

“The sedan was faced toward Goodwill when it was done.

“The Lincoln, at the time, swerved a little, then regained control and kept on going without even stopping.”

According to the other witness, events played out just as Owens described.

“They were playing chicken,” said the source. “I thought one of them would relent, or back off, but neither did.”

Both witnesses expressed frustrations with the event, and Owens was brought to tears as she voiced her concerns.

“This is a crime,” Owens said. “These two older men, two full-grown men, made conscious decisions to end a little boy’s life.”

Crawford would not comment on the investigation as of press time, but said a full report would be forth coming once the interview process had been completed.

Ranger Mom
01-12-2007, 03:12 PM
That just makes me sick at my stomach!!:(

44INAROW
01-12-2007, 03:22 PM
I assume the Fielder boy was in the white sedan? Sad situation for sure :(

lepfan
01-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Sad indeed! I bet if they could go back they may have not made the poor decision. I doubt they thought ahead enough to think it would result in the death of this young man. We all need to think before we speed up at that yellow light or speeding a few miles over the limit when we are behind schedule. It could very well had been any one of us on either end of this situation. :(