PDA

View Full Version : Divisional Playoff Weekend Preview

TheDOCTORdre
01-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Well lets start with a look back at my pick of the Wildcard Weekend before we get started with this weekend:

Saturday Games:
KC over Indy
Dallas over Seattle

Sunday Games
NE over NYJ
and
Philly over NYG

Well I started out a litttle shaky on Saturday going 0-2, but recovered on Sunday to go to 500. Indy's D really stepped up holding LJ to only 32 yard rushing, which was needed considering Manning threw 3 picks. THen there was the Dallas debacle, which I still havent fully recovered from nor has my living room carpet ( when I was Romo botch the hold and get tackled short of the goal line I kicked over my cooler which was mainly composed of melted ice). I think Dallas fans could have dealt with Gramatica missing the FG or even T.O. dropping a pass in the endzone, because those we could say were thoughts lingering in the back of our mind, but to have our golden boy cost us the game was like pouring salt in an open wound. Then on Sunday NE basically dominated the Jets, and Philly looked shaky on their first 3 offensive possesions but turned it on after that and got the win on a last second FG. But that was all last week and here we are at the divisional round. Once again we start of on Saturday with Indy visiting that tenacious D of the Baltimore Ravens. (3:30 CT) I'm not to suprised to see Indy here even though I picked them to lose last week. But this week will be Peyton and Co. last week for sure. Manning threw 3 INTs last week against a KC D that is no where near as talented as Baltimores, and with McNair leading the Ravens offense, the O will turn turnovers into points if the D doesn't do it first. Then we move on to the night cap with Philly travelling to the Superdome for a matchup with the Saints.(7:00 CT) Philly is probably playing the most consistent football in the NFC right now winning 6 straight, but the powerful Saints offense led by comeback player of the year Drew Brees could be a test to Phillys D which has been clickin this 2nd half of the season. The x factor will be which Saints D shows up on Saturday night which has been inconsistent through out the year.This is the toughest game of the weekend to pick, and homefield doesnt factor in much considering the Saints are 4-4 at the Superdome so I'm going with Phillys D showing up and holding it down againts Brees and NO, and Garcia leading the Eagles O against a shaky NO defense. That leads us to the Sunday games starting off at Chicago hosting the Seahawks.(12:00CT) The Seahawks barely made it out against the 'Boys and even though the Bears D isn't as dominant as it was earlier in the season and Grossman is probably the worst QB left in the playoffs, Soldier Field is a hard place to win at in January, so I'm going with DA Bears. And that leaves us with the afternoon game of NE at San Diego. Sure wish KC won last week, then I would have no 2nd thoughts about picking San Diego this week, but this is how it played out. The Chargers are 8-0 at home this year, but the Pats are 7-1 on the road. I know I said last week that I have learned not to bet against Brady and Bellichick in the playoffs, but I dont know how i can bet against, this years MVP LaDainian Tomlinson and that Lights Out Charger Defense lead by Shawne Merriman. Plus with reports that Schottenheimer's job is on the line, despite the 14-2 record this season (Marty's record is 5-12 in the post season) I dont think that we will be seeing Marty ball this year in the playoffs. So I will go with the Super Chargers.

SO to recap I've got

Saturday Games
Ravens over Colts
Eagles over Saints

Sunday
Bears over Seahawks
and
Chargers over Patriots

which will give us these Championship matchups

AFC
Baltimore @ San Diego

NFC
Philadelphia at Chicago

Tune in next week to hear my preview and picks of the games

JJ7997
01-12-2007, 02:54 PM
I still say the Pats are going to beat the Chargers. Playoff experience and wins without a bunch of stars, only the best Qb in the league in Brady. I'll go with the proven every time.

TheDOCTORdre
01-12-2007, 02:56 PM
I think it really depends on how Marty coaches the game

JJ7997
01-12-2007, 02:58 PM
It is a tough game to call. On Paper it does favor the Chargers and I dont really want to see them lose in this round, but those Pats sure know how to win in the playoffs .

TheDOCTORdre
01-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
but those Pats sure know how to win in the playoffs .
they sure do, no team has ever cost me more money in the playoffs than the pats

rangerjim
01-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Chicago weather Sunday - snow, mid 20's, 10 mph wind. That favors the Bears as it limits the passing game somewhat. I just hope Romo (opps I mean Grossman) holds onto the snaps. Think he lost 7 or 8 fumbles (many on the snap) this year. Don't think Alexander is back to 100% yet at RB and the Bear's D will be able to key on that. Hasselback isn't that far ahead of Grossman on the list of QB's in the playoff's.

Bears gets back 4 starters this week too! Look for a boring but good win for the da Bears.

Adidas410s
01-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I think it really depends on how Marty coaches the game
Marty doesn't really call the plays too much anymore. This season he's allowed his OC/DC to take over most of the playcalling and it's paid off...have faith in the Bolts.

g$$
01-12-2007, 04:10 PM
I am taking:

Ravens over Colts (D prevails for the Ravens, & McNair does enough)

Saints over Eagles (feel good story rolls on)

Bears over Seahawks (weather helps, Benson has good game & Seattle just not that good this year)

Chargers over Pats (hard call here, but going w/ the Bolts & LT if Marty stays out of the way; Brady scares me though)

then
Saints over Bears
Chargers over Ravens

then
Chargers over Saints in an exciting SB