PDA

View Full Version : Movie Rental

Bullaholic
01-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Things in the movie rental business continue to evolve. Now Blockbuster is offering its customers the option of turning in postal rentals at it s stores in exchange for new movies. How does that work? Netflix is going to have to up the ante somehow.

I've never been a big movie rental customer. Tried Netflix but could never find enough time to watch the movies so I just lost money and cancelled the service. I hate to rent movies from a movie store because I never seem to be able to return movies on time and late charges fly all over me.

I think the day of the direct-download of 1st run movies will be the wave of the future. What form this takes only time will tell.

One good thing---I took my grandson to see Eragon and it only cost me $4.00 for my ticket. That was really reasonable, but I had to take a loan out when my grandson went to the concession stand.

I continue to buy movies I really like and put em' in my DVD carousel.

Adidas410s
01-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think the day of the direct-download of 1st run movies will be the wave of the future. What form this takes only time will tell.
I agree. Cuban's HDNet company has been working on this concept for a while now. Also, I think that Apples iTV service will also go a long way in furthering these capabilities. The ability to stream and/or purchase movies directly on your TV will replace the regular b&m locations such as Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, etc.

The new girl's brother works for BB in their marketing dept so I'll have to ask him this w/e what he thinks about these changes...and see if I can get any additional info.

Phil C
01-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Last weekend I got the movie Catch me if You Can on Blockbuster but it wouldn't work on my player so I sent it back hopefully never to rent one again.

Bullaholic
01-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Last weekend I got the movie Catch me if You Can on Blockbuster but it wouldn't work on my player so I sent it back hopefully never to rent one again.

I know the feeling, Phil.....had it happen several times. Washing the CD seems to help in most of the cases. I don't even want to know what is on the DVD discs. Another "joy" of rental.

Watched "Streets of Laredo" again the other night, Phil. One of William Holden's first movies.

pirate4state
01-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Things in the movie rental business continue to evolve. Now Blockbuster is offering its customers the option of turning in postal rentals at it s stores in exchange for new movies. How does that work? Netflix is going to have to up the ante somehow.

I've never been a big movie rental customer. Tried Netflix but could never find enough time to watch the movies so I just lost money and cancelled the service. I hate to rent movies from a movie store because I never seem to be able to return movies on time and late charges fly all over me.

One good thing---I took my grandson to see Eragon and it only cost me $4.00 for my ticket. That was really reasonable, but I had to take a loan out when my grandson went to the concession stand.

I continue to buy movies I really like and put em' in my DVD carousel.

The late fees KILL me. :( I like ordering movies on Demand or PPV or whatever DirecTv calls them. It's so much easier than going to the store. :D

I have had both Netflix & Blockbuster. I've cancelled them both for the same reason. Not enough time to watch everything I want to watch and I was just throwing money away.

Emerson1
01-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
You were probably doing something wrong.