PDA

View Full Version : Home Cooked Mexican Food

Bullaholic
01-11-2007, 04:42 PM
I love good Mexican food, but I have never been able to cook it right at home---it always tastes "canned". I know many of you know the receipe and prep techniques for great Mexican food because you are also great Mexican food fans....some of you have it in your heritage. So I'm asking you to share some of your true Mexican home cooking preparation secrets with me so i can fix me a mess of the "good stuff" soon. Please include detailed preparation instructions and not just an ingredient list. Enchiladas are a particular favorite. Thanks--I'm hungry already.

Blastoderm55
01-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I love good Mexican food, but I have never been able to cook it right at home---it always tastes "canned". I know many of you know the receipe and prep techniques for great Mexican food because you are also great Mexican food fans....some of you have it in your heritage. So I'm asking you to share some of your true Mexican home cooking preparation secrets with me so i can fix me a mess of the "good stuff" soon. Please include detailed preparation instructions and not just an ingredient list. Enchiladas are a particular favorite. Thanks--I'm hungry already.

I refuse to share my mom's enchilada recipe. I will, however, share mine.

1 pack of Corn Tortillas
1 block of Velveta cheese
2 cans of Wolf brand Chili (most important ingrediant!)

You should be able to figure out what to do. :p

Bullaholic
01-11-2007, 04:48 PM
BTW---I realize it is a lot easier to go out to a good Mexican restaurant, but I want to be able to serve up some good Mexican food to family and friends on occasions like holidays or the Super Bowl.

DU_stud04
01-11-2007, 04:49 PM
MY RECIPE

all you need is one mexican and get out of the way:D

DU_stud04
01-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55

1 pack of Corn Tortillas

You should be able to figure out what to do. :p buying the chili throws out the homemade feel.....always best to make everythign you can.

pirate4state
01-11-2007, 04:51 PM
This can not be explained in a post. It is just something that comes natuarally. :)

I have "recipes" in my head for beef & chicken enchilidas. I have them written down somewhere. I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Bullaholic
01-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
MY RECIPE

all you need is one mexican and get out of the way:D

There's probably a lot of truth to that, DU_stud. Gringos like me may not be able to master the techniques very easily.

Phil C
01-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Bull do you like Menudo? My wife is good making that. It is good with a little lemon and corn tortillas.

pirate4state
01-11-2007, 04:52 PM

1 pack of Corn Tortillas

You should be able to figure out what to do. :p

:eek: :eek: WHAT????? Blasphemy!!! :doh: :doh:

Blastoderm55
01-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: :eek: WHAT????? Blasphemy!!! :doh: :doh:

Hey, I'm just lazy. I could go through the intricacy of properly browning and season ground beef, and procuring the proper trio of cheeses, but I'd rather not wait four hours for enchiladas, not to mention the requisite rice, beans and tortillas. :p

Bullaholic
01-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Bull do you like Menudo? My wife is good making that. It is good with a little lemon and corn tortillas.

menudo, cabrito----I love it all, Phil.

44INAROW
01-11-2007, 04:56 PM
if I dont' say so myself, I make some really good REFRIED BEANS

Fry a package of cheap bacon (you want alot of grease) and save the bacon for later..... cool the grease a few minutes (you'll burn the onions if you add when the grease is too hot) then add a large yellow onion (chopped)and sautee' until "clear" - then add 2 cans of ORGINAL ROSARITA REFRIED BEANS, 4 tablespoons of PICANTE SAUCE, and garlic salt (we like garlic ALOT, so I add some fresh chopped garlic when I add the onions) once thoroughly heated - crumble the bacon into small bits and add to the beans. Put the beans on toastada shells with cheese and guacamole and enjoy..... I use my heavy cast iron skittet to prevent scortching of the beans.....

Bull - when making enchiladas - be sure and dunk the tortillas in hot grease before rolling them with the cheese and chili/meat sauce..... keeps them from cracking open and makes then tender and moist :)

pirate4state
01-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey, I'm just lazy. I could go through the intricacy of properly browning and season ground beef, and procuring the proper trio of cheeses, but I'd rather not wait four hours for enchiladas. :p

Four hours??? Dude, how many people are in your family?? It only takes about 30 minutes for prep & another 45 for baking. :thinking:

Phil C
01-11-2007, 04:58 PM
I think it takes a lot of time to make tomales but they are easy and cheap to make (so I have been told). They are worth the wait.

Bullaholic
01-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I've been a lot of places in the world, but never to Mexico. I have always heard that Tex-Mex food is different from native Mexican food. Is that true? If so, how?

pirate4state
01-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
if I dont' say so myself, I make some really good REFRIED BEANS

Fry a package of cheap bacon (you want alot of grease) and save the bacon for later..... cool the grease a few minutes (you'll burn the onions if you add when the grease is too hot) then add a large yellow onion (chopped)and sautee' until "clear" - then add 2 cans of ORGINAL ROSARITA REFRIED BEANS, 4 tablespoons of PICANTE SAUCE, and garlic salt (we like garlic ALOT, so I add some fresh chopped garlic when I add the onions) once thoroughly heated - crumble the bacon into small bits and add to the beans. Put the beans on toastada shells with cheese and guacamole and enjoy..... I use my heavy cast iron skittet to prevent scortching of the beans.....

It was sounding really good until you mentioned CANNED BEANS! ;)

Just giving you a hard time. :D I'm sure they taste delicious.

44INAROW
01-11-2007, 05:01 PM
It was sounding really good until you mentioned CANNED BEANS! ;)

Just giving you a hard time. :D I'm sure they taste delicious.

I agree - if we've made a big pot of beans for BBQ or something, I should freeze them and use next time - but the Rosaritas are pretty good

Blastoderm55
01-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Four hours??? Dude, how many people are in your family?? It only takes about 30 minutes for prep & another 45 for baking. :thinking:

A lot, and I'm not one for making individual portions. The pot of beans is what takes the longest. Got to sort through each frijole individually and throw out the bad ones.

Blastoderm55
01-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I think it takes a lot of time to make tomales but they are easy and cheap to make (so I have been told). They are worth the wait.

My step-mom's mother made over 500 dozen tamales during the holiday season and sold them all. The spicy chicken tamales were quite good.

Blastoderm55
01-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I've been a lot of places in the world, but never to Mexico. I have always heard that Tex-Mex food is different from native Mexican food. Is that true? If so, how?

Personally, I've never enjoyed an eating experience that claimed to be authentic Mexican food. Abuelo's and Papasito's in Austin were both lousy. I prefer the Jalisco style, which is pretty much just tex-mex with veggies in the rice. :p

DU_stud04
01-11-2007, 05:12 PM
MY SECOND RECIPE

go to nearest gas station with mexican outside waiting to be picked up.

same as previous lesson. bring their wife, sisters, aunts, and grandmothers, as mexican women age so their their talent of cooking, since every mexican grandmother is proclaimed to be the best cook.....ever...

Blastoderm55
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
MY SECOND RECIPE

go to nearest gas station with mexican outside waiting to be picked up.

same as previous lesson. bring their wife, sisters, aunts, and grandmothers, as mexican women age so their their talent of cooking, since every mexican grandmother is proclaimed to be the best cook.....ever...

'Tis true. My family looks forward to Grandma's "Arroz con Pollo" moreso than to the gift exchange.