PDA

View Full Version : Biggest upset Friday night?

SintonFan
09-06-2003, 10:41 AM
IMO, Bandera's loss to Medina Valley. Jeez last year Bandera 42-6, this year Medina Valley 34-3? Not just the upset, but the margin. I hope the best for the 'dawgs for the rest of the season. Good luck.
Any other opinions on biggest upset?

theyoefnshow
09-06-2003, 10:50 AM
I was surprised w/ La Vega toppling RL as easy as they did. That and Fairfield having the trouble w/ lorena

Gilmer Buckeye
09-06-2003, 11:24 AM
The Buckeyes for three quarters definitely looked like they would be the biggest upset victim of Week 1.

We can't kick extra points and we couldn't stop Jefferson's Calvin Dennis, who scored all three TDs, vastly overshadowing their heralded tailback JoJo Rawls (1,600 yards last season). Until our kicking game improves, I have to reluctantly agree with the skeptics and Xtex that we are still "doe-eyes" and should be in no one's Top Ten. Then again, Coach Greg Brown's Jefferson Bulldogs may be a bigger force to be reckoned with than anyone thought. Their linemen are big and their skill positions are fast.

We were still behind 20-19 as the final stanza began. We had fumbled on our first possession of the game. That was an omen of things to come. Although we took a 7-0 lead on the second possession, we were down 14-7 at the half and very nearly 21-7 until our defense stopped the Dawgs on downs in the Red Zone right before intermission.

Then our offense cranked up and would have tied the game before halftime had they had more than 40 seconds with which to operate. Still, they moved from inside their own 20 to the Jeff 10 before time expired. This shifted the momentum back to us as the teams headed to the locker rooms.

Whatever Coach Traylor said during halftime obviously inspired the guys, but we still couldn't really stop their fullback with sprinter's speed. He is a classic "big back" and I expect other teams will have the same problems stopping him in weeks to come. You can't key on Rawls, because then they hit you with Dennis.

Our defense did step up and make some big plays in the second half, allowing only the other long run by Dennis, and our QB, Derek McKenzie, ran the draw over and over again after faking to tailback Andrew Hines (Dawgs obviously keying on him all night) to great effect. He passed for two TDs and ran for another. Without a doubt, he was the difference in the game.

RBARKER
09-06-2003, 12:58 PM
The one that caught my eye was Hardin losing to Trinity 13-0 after killing Tarkington by 45 points. Trinity beat Coldsprings 8-6 last week who are these guys?

pirate4state
09-06-2003, 06:02 PM
It's not 3A, BUT Odem losing 0-26 to Bishop was surprising! Refugio beating Mathis in Double OT was also surprising!!

Keith7
09-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Pilot Point's loss surprised me.. but Marlin's loss was a huge upset

trojandad
09-06-2003, 10:07 PM
I don't see Marlin having quite the team they had last year, but I don't think the Waco game was THAT big of an upset, just my take.

I know only what is told about Bridge City, but I wonder if their showing against Liberty might end up being a huge upset after all is said and done. Guess it all depends on how Liberty shows to be in the end.

espn1
09-06-2003, 10:45 PM
It wasn't a suprise. I've been telling people for months that Bandera was way over rated. There's a good chance that they wont make the playoffs this year. I predict that Llano and Liberty Hill will both beat them. They lost everybody. They're bringing a 10-0 jv team to the table and that isn't enough. Next year should be a little more kind to the Defending Champs.

JCM
09-07-2003, 04:01 PM
I was not surprised by Waco U's win over Marlin. I saw the Waco U - Burnet scrimmage and they gave the Bulldogs all kinds of trouble. They are loaded with athletes and their left OT is listed at 6'7" and 315 lbs (not a fat guy). They are likely to make a good playoff run in 4A.

Bandera YaYa
09-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Yes, the loss was huge for the guys. I think they are too intimidated by last year, with losing so many seniors. They are going to have to believe in themselves, and not compare this team to last years. I imagine it's a hard thing to have to overcome. And with a new coach and new way to do things? They just need to believe in themselves. I hope people give them a chance.
Medina Valley is always tough, so congrats to them for sure!
Peace and YaYa!!