PDA

View Full Version : Dale Jr May leave DEI *nascar related*

CHS_CG
01-11-2007, 09:29 AM
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The 2007 NASCAR season unofficially kicked off with preseason testing here on Monday, and it didn't take long for one driver to stir things up.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. admitted Monday that his relationship with stepmother and team owner Teresa Earnhardt "ain't a bed of roses."

And with negotiations over a new long-term contract being oftentimes contentious and moving at a snail-like pace, the relationship between the Earnhardts may be becoming more like "The War of the Roses."

Three weeks ago, Teresa Earnhardt publicly questioned Junior's desire and motivation in a story that appeared in the Wall Street Journal. At the time, her stepson held his tongue.

ADVERTISEMENT

But during Monday's test session at Daytona, Earnhardt the driver fired a huge salvo back at Earnhardt the team owner, even subtly threatening that he might jump ship and potentially take prized big-bucks sponsor Budweiser with him.

"Absolutely, my relationship with the car owner is definitely going to factor into my decision to drive there," Junior said. "I haven't talked to Teresa about what she said in the paper. I figured if anything needed to be said, she'd call me up and say it. But you know, my and her relationship definitely factor into my decision to drive there."

On the surface, Earnhardt's comments could be construed as posturing to speed up the pace of contract negotiations, as well as an attempt to force Teresa into giving him a piece of the ownership of Dale Earnhardt Inc. – which may be the biggest stumbling block in the negotiations.

But for a guy who for years has refused to comment at length about the relationship he has with his father's widow, his words Monday were quite enlightening.

"I don't want to really get too personal, but Teresa is my stepmother, and I have a mother at home that I have a very good relationship with," Junior said. "Mine and Teresa's relationship has always been very black and white, very strict and in your face. It is what it is."

And what it is would appear to be not very pretty, judging from the sarcasm seemingly dripping from Junior's words.

"The relationship that we have today is the same relationship we had when I was six years old when I moved into that house with Dad and her," Junior said. "It's always been the same. It hasn't gotten worse over the last couple years or last couple months. It's always been the same, the way I felt about her then is the way I feel about her now."

Since the death of her husband on the final lap of the 2001 season-opening Daytona 500, Teresa Earnhardt has become one of the most reclusive owners in Nextel Cup, prompting some critics to call her the Howard Hughes of NASCAR. She attends few races in person and rarely gives media interviews.

But there's no denying that she's one of the most powerful women in the sport.

Meanwhile, Junior is well aware that DEI's contracts with him and Budweiser both expire at the end of the upcoming 2007 season. Trying to pry Budweiser away could be a formidable task, and Junior may have to resign himself to staying with DEI if he wants to continue driving his world-famous ride.

"I like driving the red Bud car with the No. 8 on it," Junior said. "To drive that car, I basically have to drive at DEI."

Still, Junior left himself an out, adding, "To get this new deal done is going to be very difficult."

At times during Monday's media session, Junior seemingly channeled the spirit of his father. Instead of being the laidback, good ol' boy that the NASCAR world has come to love, Junior showed some of the spit and vinegar that his oftentimes cantankerous old man was known for.

"What's important to me is give me a good race car, don't give me any mess other than that," he proclaimed. "Just give me a good race car, make it run fast, give me guys I enjoy working with and going to the race track [with].

"I'll do whatever you need me to do with the sponsors and everything else, just don't make everything a hassle and don't make everything a pain and you'll have my dedication and everything else you need as far as my being a driver goes."

Junior wasn't afraid to say what was on his mind, just like his old man. Perhaps his theme for the upcoming season will be No More Mr. Nice Guy, and maybe this seemingly new attitude is the one ingredient he has been missing in his quest to become a Nextel Cup champion.

"I don't want to come here and [not] compete well and run well," said Junior, who did return to the Chase in 2006 after a one-year absence. "I don't want to just get by. I want the best – the best cars, the best people."

In other words, he wants from DEI what the Jimmie Johnsons, Tony Stewarts and Matt Kenseths get from teams like Hendrick, Gibbs and Roush – and Richard Childress Racing, where his father drove and where the rumor mill often has Junior eventually landing.

"We see other companies and teams doing what it takes and making the right moves, and I just want to be at the same situation as I see other drivers in," Junior said. "I know I'm a good enough race car driver and I deserve it. I'm just trying to get it all settled and make it right."

He took a big step toward that on Monday. Now, if only Teresa was listening … or even cared.

kaorder1999
01-11-2007, 09:31 AM
UH OH!

:eek:

CHS_CG
01-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
UH OH!

:eek:

trust me i will be soo pissed if that woman runs Jr off! He is so my favorite!!!!!!!!

g$$
01-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Junior ain't happy! Makes me wonder what caused the divorce in the 1st place, b/c he obviously dislikes his stepmom still today.

Adidas410s
01-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
trust me i will be soo pissed if that woman runs Jr off! He is so my favorite!!!!!!!!

It's not like he wouldn't keep racing. Also, if he went elsewhere you can guarantee that Bud would stick with him. Their car is know as Dale Jr's car...not as DEI's car. Nobody gives a crap about the ownership...they are more concerned with the driver and his ability to perform because that increases the sponsor's visibility.

CHS_CG
01-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Junior ain't happy! Makes me wonder what caused the divorce in the 1st place, b/c he obviously dislikes his stepmom still today.

Junior not being happy is what caused him to get a new racing team a few years ago.. it was almost all family and such and thats why he had a rocky road.. he was startin over basiclly. Hes kickin butt now(finishing 5th in nascar over all points last year) Its been no secret that him and his step mom dont get along.. they didnt get along b4 his dads death. Junior could race for anybody and do well.. and i bet ya money if he leaves DEI.. budwiser will be right there with him..

g$$
01-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Bet you're right. Junior will be fine regardless. He is a good driver & has appeal for sponsors. After I saw him on Cribs, I am not worried at all about Junior's life! Money, house, cars, women, fun, etc. - the guy has it all.

CHS_CG
01-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Bet you're right. Junior will be fine regardless. He is a good driver & has appeal for sponsors. After I saw him on Cribs, I am not worried at all about Junior's life! Money, house, cars, women, fun, etc. - the guy has it all.

damn i gotta find that episode... i hardly ever watch but i woulda known junior was gunna be on i woulda DVR'd it!

g$$
01-11-2007, 09:58 AM
damn i gotta find that episode... i hardly ever watch but i woulda known junior was gunna be on i woulda DVR'd it!

It was last year. He seemed like a good guy too. I could hang out & drink beer, shoot pool, watch sports, etc. with him. Just a good ol' boy at heart. Not full of himself at all.

CHS_CG
01-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by g$$
It was last year. He seemed like a good guy too. I could hang out & drink beer, shoot pool, watch sports, etc. with him. Just a good ol' boy at heart. Not full of himself at all.

oh the money i would pay to meet junior and drink some beer with him! haha.... He does seem pretty cool...

kaorder1999
01-11-2007, 10:01 AM
oh the money i would pay to meet junior and drink some beer with him! haha.... He does seem pretty cool...

but would he be safe if this happens?

g$$
01-11-2007, 10:02 AM

That can lead to trouble! Just kidding.

I was flipping channels & saw that episode last year. Probably some way to find it on MTV's website.

kaorder1999
01-11-2007, 10:06 AM
MTV CRIBS ARCHIVES (http://www.mtv.com/onair/cribs/episode_archive/index_7.jhtml)

CHS_CG
01-11-2007, 10:07 AM
but would he be safe if this happens?

of course it would be safe!!!!!

kaorder1999
01-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I said would HE be safe....not would IT be safe! haha

CHS_CG
01-11-2007, 10:10 AM
I said would HE be safe....not would IT be safe! haha

of course he would be safe..

kaorder1999
01-11-2007, 10:11 AM
ok....i believe you. But I do see you with one of those small spy cameras or something pinned to your shirt to record the memories you make!!

CHS_CG
01-11-2007, 10:13 AM
ok....i believe you. But I do see you with one of those small spy cameras or something pinned to your shirt to record the memories you make!!

http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif

I WOULD NEVER

;)

carter08
01-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Its time to bring the Chance 2 team up to Nextel Cup