PDA

View Full Version : Astros College Baseball Classic @ MMP Feb. 9-11...

g$$
01-11-2007, 07:58 AM
FYI: (It's a fun deal if you love baseball. Better dress warm though as it gets cold in MMP during February. No heat!)

HOUSTON -- As the Hot Stove season inches toward the finish line, the Houston Astros are ready to ring in the 2007 season a little early, in the form of the seventh annual Houston College Classic and Astros FanFest.

The Classic, a six-team tournament that will be held Feb. 9-11, will feature nine games at Minute Maid Park. The Astros FanFest will be held in conjunction with the Classic on Feb. 10 and 11.

2007 Minute Maid College Classic schedule (all times CT and subject to change):

Friday, Feb. 9th
• Vanderbilt vs. Rice, Noon
• Texas A&M vs. Arizona State, 3:30 p.m.
• Baylor vs. Houston, 7 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 10th
• Astros FanFest, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
• Vanderbilt vs. Arizona State, Noon
• Texas A&M vs. Houston, 3:30 p.m.
• Baylor vs. Rice, 7 p.m.

Sunday, Feb. 11th
• Astros FanFest, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Arizona State vs. Houston, 11 a.m.
• Baylor vs. Vanderbilt, 2:30 p.m.
• Texas A&M vs. Rice, 6 p.m.

Tickets for the events will be available on astros.com beginning Monday (Jan. 8). Fans can also purchase tickets by telephone, toll-free, at 877-9ASTROS (877-927-8767), at the Minute Maid Park box office or at any of the Astros' regular Houston area and Ticketmaster outlets. The box office is open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT.

Single-ticket prices are $13 for daily admission and $30 for the entire tournament, Friday through Sunday. The purchase of a ticket for either day's baseball games on Feb. 10-11 will be good for admittance to FanFest on the same day.

Hometown schools Houston and Rice, the latter of which finished third in the 2006 College World Series, make their annual entry into the tournament. This year's field also includes Texas A&M, Baylor, Arizona State and Vanderbilt.

Five of the teams in the tournament are ranked among the top 40 nationally in Collegiate Baseball's 2007 preseason poll, including Rice (No. 1), Vanderbilt (No. 8), Arizona State (No. 14), Baylor (No. 21) and Houston (No. 33).

Astros FanFest also returns with family activities surrounding the Classic. The winter baseball carnival offers fans the opportunity to meet Astros players, play interactive baseball games and participate in baseball clinics. A complete lineup of FanFest activities will be released at a later date.

www.astros.com for details

g$$
01-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Five of the teams in the tournament are ranked among the top 40 nationally in Collegiate Baseball's 2007 preseason poll, including Rice (No. 1), Vanderbilt (No. 8), Arizona State (No. 14), Baylor (No. 21) and Houston (No. 33).

That is sad. 5/6 teams ranked in the Top 40 by Collegiate Baseball & Texas A&M is the one that is not! Coach Childress (2nd year) needs to get this program going again. He has gotten some good recruits, but he also ran off some good players now at prominent programs. Last year was horrible, so I am looking for major improvement ASAP. No excuse to be that bad at A&M with a great facility & rabid baseball fan base, plus your home state turns out plenty of talent. Coach Johnson went to Omaha twice in the '90s & had some very good teams. I did not disagree though that it was time for a change (he's now at Sam Houston, good man).

Neck_06, I hope y'all are on the right track & practicing hard. Aggies like me expect to see better baseball & a much better showing this year. Good luck.

sahen
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
aww they kept Baylor and ASU away from each other....too bad last year in the regular season and Regionals we were at each others throats, then again maybe that is y they did it....

g$$
01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by sahen
aww they kept Baylor and ASU away from each other....too bad last year in the regular season and Regionals we were at each others throats, then again maybe that is y they did it....

Yeah, that had brawl written all over it. Baylor should be good again. Watch out for freshman Aaron Miller. LHP & one of the best hs hitters I have ever seen. Turned down pro $$ to go to school. My nephew played with him on the Houston Heat for 2 years. Steve Smith may be surly but he has done a fine job there.

neck_06
01-11-2007, 07:17 PM
g$$ you can now read up on the ags, they finally have the 2007 roster posted:

Texas A&M Baseball Roster (http://www.aggieathletics.com/roster.php?SID=MBA&PID=8002&YOS=2007)

g$$
01-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
g$$ you can now read up on the ags, they finally have the 2007 roster posted:

Texas A&M Baseball Roster (http://www.aggieathletics.com/roster.php?SID=MBA&PID=8002&YOS=2007)

Good stuff buddy! Hang in there & let's have a better season. Maybe I will see you at MMP in February. Keep me posted when you have a chance. Take care.

tigerpride_08
01-11-2007, 08:20 PM
i deff wanna go check out some of the games this year...

g$$
01-19-2007, 08:58 AM
ttt

themsu97
01-19-2007, 09:36 AM
with '06 there, I will definitely have to try and make it... do i have to wear Aggie gear '06?

Johnnypaycheck
01-19-2007, 10:12 AM
i'm still waiting for my aggie gear from neck06...remember me now...i taught you EVERYTHING you know...LOL...

g$$
02-05-2007, 03:14 PM
This weekend baby!

I plan to go all day Saturday. Fun time, good baseball, & Fanfest is cool as well. Say hello if you attend...

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by g$$
That is sad. 5/6 teams ranked in the Top 40 by Collegiate Baseball & Texas A&M is the one that is not! Coach Childress (2nd year) needs to get this program going again. He has gotten some good recruits, but he also ran off some good players now at prominent programs. .

Jess Buenger from Bellville was one he ran off, now he starts for Rice. Dont make sense playing for a team as good as Rice, but not good enough for Coach Childress?

bhtrainer
02-06-2007, 09:06 AM
can't wait im sooo there