PDA

View Full Version : If Bobby Layne and Doak Walker had been on the same college team in 1947!

Phil C
01-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Bobby went to UT and Doak went to SMU after almost deciding to come to UT.

Of course neither one would have got the NC in 1947 because ND was undefeated and the AP MNC would automatically at that time go to ND if they were undefeated or to a big ten conference team that was undefeated if ND lost a game.

But in 1947 UT and SMU had great teams. UT lost to SMU by one point but won the rest of it's games including a victory over Alabama in the Rose Bowl. With Doak UT would have probably beaten SMU and had a perfect record.

Of course if Bobby had gone to SMU with Doak then SMU could probably had won them all. They had a great record at 9 - 0 - 2 with only two ties against them. The two ties were against TCU and Penn State. One has to wonder if Bobby had played there then SMU might have had a perfect record.

Oh what might have been.

Both got to play together for the Detroit Lions in the fifties and both were on two NFL championship games there. But the curse was coming.

Phil C
01-10-2007, 03:46 PM
What I mean is that if both had gone to the same schools (whether UT or SMU) they might have been on a team that had a perfect record in 1947.

g$$
01-10-2007, 05:10 PM
What a hs team they had playing together at Highland Park! Somehow, I do not think they won a State Title. I could be wrong.

My Dad's favorite player all-time was Doak Walker. If my Mom had not intervened, my given name was going to be Doak! Thank you Mom.

JR2004
01-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Well having read up quite a bit on Notre Dame's 1947 (46 as well) squad, they are probably the single most talented team to have ever played college football. While they couldn't compete with teams from this era, for their own era, they were in a league all by themselves.

An example...QB George Ratterman played for the Buffalo Bills in 1947 in the All-America Football Conference. He made 2nd team all-league as a rookie.

At Notre Dame he would've been the BACK-UP Quarterback again had he came back to school that year. 43 Players from the 46 and 47 teams would eventually play in the NFL or the AAFC. I believe it was said by people from that day that the only team Notre Dame couldn't beat would've been the Cleveland Browns.