PDA

View Full Version : Tuna says Rumors Ain't So...

Bullaholic
01-10-2007, 11:42 AM
On the rumor that Parcells has been talking to the Giants about the GM position:

"There is absolutely nothing to it," Parcells told the New York Daily News from Dallas. "Absolutely nothing. There has been no contact, either directly or through an intermediary. Whoever said it is a liar."

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Nowdays, when a coach says "nothing to it", look for the moving van backing up in his driveway. Guess we'll just have to stay tuned.

pirate4state
01-10-2007, 11:44 AM
No kidding. We always hear this kind of talk before a move or a break up.

Phil C
01-10-2007, 02:52 PM
With that assistant coach going to the Falcons I wonder if he is going. You know the handwriting on the wall sort of thing.

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
With that assistant coach going to the Falcons I wonder if he is going. You know the handwriting on the wall sort of thing.

Zimmer would have had a better chance staying on staff IF Parcells left. With Parcells staying that means the 3-4 stays and Zimmer is 90% gone....I think Zimmer just saw a chance to go back to 4-3 and KNOW he has a job instead of waiting and seeing what happens in Dallas

BILLYFRED0000
01-10-2007, 05:11 PM
The giants have contacted and are probably going to hire some
41 year old from the patriots org. Forgot the name but if Zimmer is leaving that means Bill is staying. Zim might have been up at least for a shot at head coach or at least going back to the 4-3.
I think Bill is looking to bring a 3-4 guru in maybe. I just hope Anthony Lynn gets rehired. I would hate to lose D'anton next year because of a coaching change at the Cowboys.

g$$
01-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Zimmer would have had a better chance staying on staff IF Parcells left. With Parcells staying that means the 3-4 stays and Zimmer is 90% gone....I think Zimmer just saw a chance to go back to 4-3 and KNOW he has a job instead of waiting and seeing what happens in Dallas

And who could blame Zimmer? The chips are starting to fall in Dallas & he wanted out of the soap opera ASAP.

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And who could blame Zimmer? The chips are starting to fall in Dallas & he wanted out of the soap opera ASAP.

Of course you see it as a "soap opera" I think it was a simple thing of Zimmer was never comfortable running the 3-4 and he was not going to be here next year if they stayed with it.

pirate4state
01-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Of course you see it as a "soap opera" I think it was a simple thing of Zimmer was never comfortable running the 3-4 and he was not going to be here next year if they stayed with it.

I'm sad to see him go, but I agree I don't think he was ever comfortable with the new defense.

G$$ will find a way to blame this on TO too. ;) I can see his wheels spinning. :D

g$$
01-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I'm sad to see him go, but I agree I don't think he was ever comfortable with the new defense.

G$$ will find a way to blame this on TO too. ;) I can see his wheels spinning. :D \

Sure, blame me for all going wrong in Dallas. Zimmer wanted out, that was pretty obvious. He never wanted to run the 3-4 anyway.

Not blaming TO for this, but I do think he is part of the bigger problem. There is instability in Dallas right now. Blame JJ if you want to be truthful about it. He has created this mess thru his constant meddling nature. He should name himself HC once & for all. Parcells never wanted TO either.

g$$
01-10-2007, 06:06 PM

I would say the soap opera is off to a good start TXB:

1. DC Zimmer leaves for Atlanta
2. Parcells may or may not leave (he sure has not said he is staying has he?)
3. The constant TO rumors of what will happen
4. Who stays, who goes questions?

We are not even one week removed from the playoff loss. The Draft is not until April. Good start indeed.

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I would say the soap opera is off to a good start TXB:

1. DC Zimmer leaves for Atlanta
2. Parcells may or may not leave (he sure has not said he is staying has he?)
3. The constant TO rumors of what will happen
4. Who stays, who goes questions?

We are not even one week removed from the playoff loss. The Draft is not until April. Good start indeed.

If that is a soap opera I guess EVERY team in the NFL is going thru one because I am pretty sure every team

1 Has assistant coaches who might leave
2 Rumors of players being released for whatever reason
2 Has to decide who stays and goes

and as far as Parcells..Other teams have lost or fired coaches already...

And I would want ALL THAT done by the draft anyway. Want to know what you need to draft player wise and scheme wise. So rather wait I like swift decisions.

g$$
01-10-2007, 06:17 PM
If that is a soap opera I guess EVERY team in the NFL is going thru one because I am pretty sure every team

1 Has assistant coaches who might leave
2 Rumors of players being released for whatever reason
2 Has to decide who stays and goes

and as far as Parcells..Other teams have lost or fired coaches already...

And I would want ALL THAT done by the draft anyway. Want to know what you need to draft player wise and scheme wise. So rather wait I like swift decisions.

You are right in theory, but wrong in application.

Not every team has major questions about their HC, DC, & star player right now. Of course you will say it is the media's fault for over-exposure.

Do the Chargers have questions about Marty S., Wade Phillips (DC), & L. Tomlinson right now? Do the Pats? Do the Colts? Etc.

There is your answer. Sure, lesser teams have questions every year & everyday. Maybe you are admitting Dallas has fallen into that category?

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You are right in theory, but wrong in application.

Not every team has major questions about their HC, DC, & star player right now. Of course you will say it is the media's fault for over-exposure.

Do the Chargers have questions about Marty S., Wade Phillips (DC), & L. Tomlinson right now? Do the Pats? Do the Colts? Etc.

There is your answer. Sure, lesser teams have questions every year & everyday. Maybe you are admitting Dallas has fallen into that category?

So Pitt is a lesser team because Cowher leaves and as of NOW they dont have the HC and staff in place?

And when have I ever said on here Dallas was an elite team? How could anyone say they were an elite team?

Three straight 5-11 followed by 10-6, 6-10, 9-7 and 9-7 Seems to me they just finally reached the point of average

And once again you have to bring TO into it..I think it is as big of a decision on what they do with Terry Glenn because IMO you can lose one..but not BOTH

Hansum Stranger
01-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Zimmer didn't "leave" the Cowboys. His contract expired. If the Cowboys wanted him back they could of made him an offer, which they didn't.

g$$
01-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
Zimmer didn't "leave" the Cowboys. His contract expired. If the Cowboys wanted him back they could of made him an offer, which they didn't.

But no guarantee he would have stayed even with an offer. He wanted out.

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by g$$
But no guarantee he would have stayed even with an offer. He wanted out.

and where do you know this from? and let me guess..your going to say he wanted out because of the "soap opera" Even though this guy was there in the heyday of the 90's sagas.

If he "wanted" out it is because simply he did not want to coach a 3-4 D anymore

g$$
01-10-2007, 06:45 PM
So Pitt is a lesser team because Cowher leaves and as of NOW they dont have the HC and staff in place?

And when have I ever said on here Dallas was an elite team? How could anyone say they were an elite team?

Three straight 5-11 followed by 10-6, 6-10, 9-7 and 9-7 Seems to me they just finally reached the point of average

And once again you have to bring TO into it..I think it is as big of a decision on what they do with Terry Glenn because IMO you can lose one..but not BOTH

So Cowher is the HC, DC, & star player too? Dick LeBeau is still there. So is Big Ben, Hines Ward, Willie Parker, Joey Porter, Troy P., etc. They will be just fine. The Cowboys have many more questions than Pittsburgh & others.

So Terry Glenn is the same player as TO now too? I thought that TO was the $25 million man? Wow, he goes from STAR to can't lose both TO & Glenn huh? I agree losing both would be awfully hard to replace though. Just amused how quickly he is being diminished in pure CYA mode.

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by g$$
So Cowher is the HC, DC, & star player too? Dick LeBeau is still there. So is Big Ben, Hines Ward, Willie Parker, Joey Porter, Troy P., etc. They will be just fine. The Cowboys have many more questions than Pittsburgh & others.

So Terry Glenn is the same player as TO now too? I thought that TO was the $25 million man? Wow, he goes from STAR to can't lose both TO & Glenn huh? I agree losing both would be awfully hard to replace though. Just amused how quickly he is being diminished in pure CYA mode.

ok please show me where I have ever made TO to be the greatest WR in the game, and that Glenn was not a good one? I hope BOTH are back because the depth at WR for the Boys is unproven after the #3 Crayton.

Once again your trying to turn things I say around. If they had released Glenn to sign TO last year I would not have been happy..The whole reason i liked the deal was Dallas was getting TWO WR who have been #1 guys in an offense

As far Cowher..They dont know for sure the OC will be back..or the DC..yes it looks like they will, but until it is all said and done they have questions.

As far as the Cowboys having questions..well DUH you go 9-8 you have alot of questions that need to be asked..of course in Dallas's case 70% of it is on the D side of the ball

g$$
01-10-2007, 06:55 PM
and where do you know this from? and let me guess..your going to say he wanted out because of the "soap opera" Even though this guy was there in the heyday of the 90's sagas.

If he "wanted" out it is because simply he did not want to coach a 3-4 D anymore

I don't care if he was in Vietnam. He wanted out to coach the 4-3 defense & not be bound to what Parcells wanted to do. That was my point. He wanted OUT.

Maybe you should ask your locals covering Valley Ranch daily like flies on manure.

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I don't care if he was in Vietnam. He wanted out to coach the 4-3 defense & not be bound to what Parcells wanted to do. That was my point. He wanted OUT.

Maybe you should ask your locals covering Valley Ranch daily like flies on manure.

And once again your snide remarks and arrogant attitude shines thru

g$$
01-10-2007, 06:58 PM
ok please show me where I have ever made TO to be the greatest WR in the game, and that Glenn was not a good one? I hope BOTH are back because the depth at WR for the Boys is unproven after the #3 Crayton.

Once again your trying to turn things I say around. If they had released Glenn to sign TO last year I would not have been happy..The whole reason i liked the deal was Dallas was getting TWO WR who have been #1 guys in an offense

As far Cowher..They dont know for sure the OC will be back..or the DC..yes it looks like they will, but until it is all said and done they have questions.

As far as the Cowboys having questions..well DUH you go 9-8 you have alot of questions that need to be asked..of course in Dallas's case 70% of it is on the D side of the ball

You have sure defended Team Poison like he is Canton bound tomorrow! That is all I need to know. Pitsburgh will probably promote from within & be fine. Dallas has major questions.

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You have sure defended Team Poison like he is Canton bound tomorrow! That is all I need to know. Pitsburgh will probably promote from within & be fine. Dallas has major questions.

And you have acted like everything in the world is TOs fault..beginning to wonder if u dont have a man crush on him secretly.

I have ALWAYS said off the field I dont like his antics..on the field I like what he brought to Dallas. Yea Yea your going to mention 18 drops..I will mention this

Last year 20 points scored a game
This year 27

All that dealing with the OL and the QB situation

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:01 PM
And once again your snide remarks and arrogant attitude shines thru

Why? Because I said ask the locals? Maybe I just see Dallas for what it is right now: an organization in transition with many questions at key positions & a HC not sure if he wants to stay.

If that is arrogant, so be it. I call it honesty. :thinking:

Hansum Stranger
01-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by g$$
a HC not sure if he wants to stay.

I'm sure he knows what he wants to do. He just doesn't have to tell anyone until the first of next month.

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:04 PM
And you have acted like everything in the world is TOs fault..beginning to wonder if u dont have a man crush on him secretly.

I have ALWAYS said off the field I dont like his antics..on the field I like what he brought to Dallas. Yea Yea your going to mention 18 drops..I will mention this

Last year 20 points scored a game
This year 27

All that dealing with the OL and the QB situation

Anything but a crush, I despise him as a human being.

What did 27 pts./game get you? 1st round exit, that's what.

Who has the man crush TXB?

pirate4state
01-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by g$$

LMAO. You just never quit do you?? :rolleyes:

You wanna know why no one cares about Pittsburg or any other team with "questions"?? Cause they have never been billed "America's team" and because ESPN loves these "soap operas". :)

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm sure he knows what he wants to do. He just doesn't have to tell anyone until the first of next month.

I know the date. But, if he was so sure, why not say it now & erase all doubt? Tells me he is unsure & wants major changes if he stays. Like no TO?...

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Why? Because I said ask the locals? Maybe I just see Dallas for what it is right now: an organization in transition with many questions at key positions & a HC not sure if he wants to stay.

If that is arrogant, so be it. I call it honesty. :thinking:

No you act like you want to debate things..and I am all for that. But if I disagree with you, then I need to see the light, or I am naive or something is making me not agree with you. The locals comment is just a return of those type of comments.

Why does everyone that disagree with you have to be wrong? I have never said you was wrong about your opinion, or belittled it or said your naive or cant see the light? All I ask is lets debate the topic that is fun, snide remarks are just obnoxious.

Bullaholic
01-10-2007, 07:08 PM
I do know one thing that both you guys agree on----you're both Cowboy fans, and that's a GOOD thing. Sometimes I wish Keith7 was still on here so we could all jump his Eagle fan butt. :D

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:08 PM
LMAO. You just never quit do you?? :rolleyes:

You wanna know why no one cares about Pittsburg or any other team with "questions"?? Cause they have never been billed "America's team" and because ESPN loves these "soap operas". :)

The moniker 'America's Team" was coined by Tex Schramm, not JJ. And Pittsburgh won the SB last year. I would say they are higher on the mountain top right now than the 'Boys.

Sure the media loves it, it sells. :doh:

BILLYFRED0000
01-10-2007, 07:09 PM

G$$ will find a way to blame this on TO too. ;) I can see his wheels spinning. :D

That is because he is a hater not a thinker. Most people can see the light of day and call it light. But there are always contrarians who will look at the clouds and call it dark.

pirate4state
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I do know one thing that both you guys agree on----you're both Cowboy fans, and that's a GOOD thing. Sometimes I wish Keith7 was still on here so we could all jump his Eagle fan butt. :D

:crying: I miss Keith7!!! He would be in hog heaven.

SILVER BOOT!!! :D :D :D

Txbroadcaster
Originally posted by g$$
Anything but a crush, I despise him as a human being.

What did 27 pts./game get you? 1st round exit, that'a what.

Who has the man crush TXB?

Nope I just aprreciate what he did for the Cowboys this year. He HELPED give the offense a spark and made them a top 5 offense. Am I happy with the 9-8 of course not..but IMO there are more questions on defensive side of ball than offensive side going into off season

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:13 PM
No you act like you want to debate things..and I am all for that. But if I disagree with you, then I need to see the light, or I am naive or something is making me not agree with you. The locals comment is just a return of those type of comments.

Why does everyone that disagree with you have to be wrong? I have never said you was wrong about your opinion, or belittled it or said your naive or cant see the light? All I ask is lets debate the topic that is fun, snide remarks are just obnoxious.

NO, you just take it that way. I state facts & offer my opinions. Sometimes you don't like it & become defensive.

I used to root for Dallas. Not anymore, Jerry Jones changed all that over the years. He & TO can go away together as far as I am concerned. 2 peas in a pod. Tarnished the star built by fine men like Landry & others.

pirate4state
01-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
The moniker 'America's Team" was coined by Tex Schramm, not JJ. And Pittsburgh won the SB last year. I would say they are higher on the mountain top right now than the 'Boys.

So what Pittsburgh won the SB last year? They are on the same mountain Dallas is on. The "out of the playoffs mountain".

Bullaholic
01-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$

I always thought it was an announcer who came up with "America's Team" and the Cowboys organization just picked up on it.

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by g$$
NO, you just take it that way. I state facts & offer my opinions. Sometimes you don't like it & become defensive.

I used to root for Dallas. Not anymore, Jerry Jones changed all that over the years. He & TO can go away together as far as I am concerned. 2 peas in a pod. Tarnished the star built by fine men like Landry & others.

Yep I become defensive when you call me naive, or when you say I cant see the light or when you say I am just a HS play-by-play guy. Those comments are NOTHING about the topic. They are personal attacks because you feel you superior because your on one side of a topic and I am on the other.

pirate4state
Originally posted by g$$

I think we need a poll!! :D

Who thinks G$$ is the new Keith7??

BILLYFRED0000
So what Pittsburgh won the SB last year? They are on the same mountain Dallas is on. The "out of the playoffs mountain".

Now don't rain on his parade, then you will have to "defend" your
words against a back drop of hatorade.

g$$
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
That is because he is a hater not a thinker. Most people can see the light of day and call it light. But there are always contrarians who will look at the clouds and call it dark.

I prefer REALIST, thanks. Tunnel vision & not being objective make you blinded by the silver & blue of yesteryear.

Txbroadcaster
I always thought it was an announcer who came up with "America's Team" and the Cowboys organization just picked up on it.

NFL Films coined the phrase and the Cowboys ran with it.

BILLYFRED0000

I'll drink to that.

Hansum Stranger
01-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure it was a Sprite, or some cola drink, commercial that first used the term "America's Team" when referring to the Dallas Cowboys.

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:17 PM

I have always been the same guy. Sorry to disappoint you!

BILLYFRED0000
Originally posted by g$$
I prefer REALIST, thanks. Tunnel vision & not being objective make you blinded by the silver & blue of yesteryear.

No a realist is pragmatic and does not use inflammatory or emotional verbage to propose his position. Only those whose thinking and verbal skills are a little slack resort to ad hominem
repitition of opinion as fact.

pirate4state
Darn, I have to leave. You boys don't have too much fun while I'm gone!!! ;) :cool:

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Actually I'm pretty sure it was a Sprite, or some cola drink, commercial that first used the term "America's Team" when referring to the Dallas Cowboys.

NO, Tex sold the idea to the networks & marketed it that way. He did the same for the cheerleaders, etc. Brilliant marketing mind. Read the books on the early Cowboys & you will see.

Bullaholic
01-10-2007, 07:20 PM

As an "old timer" I don't think today's NFL fan base would embrace today's Cowboys as "America's Team". That time has come and gone.

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:21 PM

Let's see: Pittsburgh has a ring from last year.

Dallas = last playoff win 1996

You do the math! Who has had more recent success?

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 07:21 PM
The 1978 Dallas Highlight film had been prepared and edited by NFL Films and a script had been sent to the Cowboys. A tentative title for the 20-minute movie had been selected by the filmmakers—“Champions Die Hard.”

That didn’t go over too well with the Cowboys hierarchy. SO representatives from both parties sat down to think about a new name.

The film people said they had noticed that no matter in what stadium footage had been shot, there were always Cowboys pennants being waved. It was also pointed out by NFL Properties, the merchandising end of the league, that Dallas paraphernalia far outsold that of any other team.

The Cowboys, it seemed, had a national clientele.

So someone, no one now seems to remember just who, suggested calling the highlight film, “America’s Team.”

Dallas officials, who had veto power over anyh title chosen, thought that had a nice ring to it.

BILLYFRED0000
01-10-2007, 07:25 PM
The 1978 Dallas Highlight film had been prepared and edited by NFL Films and a script had been sent to the Cowboys. A tentative title for the 20-minute movie had been selected by the filmmakers—“Champions Die Hard.”

That didn’t go over too well with the Cowboys hierarchy. SO representatives from both parties sat down to think about a new name.

The film people said they had noticed that no matter in what stadium footage had been shot, there were always Cowboys pennants being waved. It was also pointed out by NFL Properties, the merchandising end of the league, that Dallas paraphernalia far outsold that of any other team.

So someone, no one now seems to remember just who, suggested calling the highlight film, “America’s Team.”

Dallas officials, who had veto power over anyh title chosen, thought that had a nice ring to it.

Funny thing too. Pittsburg had the 4 rings not Dallas. Go figure.

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:26 PM

Exactly what I said. Tex sold the idea to the networks. NFL Films did not coin the term they simply used it at Tex's request to sell the team & league. It worked too.

Come on TXB, you know that. Tex Schramm is widely given credit for the moniker, DC Cheerleaders & their uniforms, tv deals, etc. Brilliant marketing mind like I said.

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:29 PM
No a realist is pragmatic and does not use inflammatory or emotional verbage to propose his position. Only those whose thinking and verbal skills are a little slack resort to ad hominem
repitition of opinion as fact.

I will match wits, intelligence, language skills, vocabulary, or anything else with you or others, Freddy. You may not like what I say, but don't question my intelligence. We can disagree without that garbage.

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:31 PM
...below

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:32 PM

In books I have read & when Tex entered the HOF, he was given credit for the name & many other things. Sounds like revisionist history to me. Maybe it was a collective effort.

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by g$$
In books I have read & when Tex entered the HOF, he was given credit for the name & many other things. Sounds like revisionist history to me.

Why because it was not what you said?

Here is one that actually names who it was

It was also in 1978 that Bob Ryan, the editor in chief of NFL Films, tagged the Cowboys as "America's Team" because of their enormous appeal and popularity nationwide. The Cowboys' fourth appearance in the Super Bowl tied Minnesota for the most times ever, and their second win equaled the records of Green Bay, Miami, and Pittsburgh. Dallas reached the Super Bowl for a record-fifth time the next season, but dropped a 35-31 thriller to Pittsburgh.

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Why because it was not what you said?

Here is one that actually names who it was

It was also in 1978 that Bob Ryan, the editor in chief of NFL Films, tagged the Cowboys as "America's Team" because of their enormous appeal and popularity nationwide. The Cowboys' fourth appearance in the Super Bowl tied Minnesota for the most times ever, and their second win equaled the records of Green Bay, Miami, and Pittsburgh. Dallas reached the Super Bowl for a record-fifth time the next season, but dropped a 35-31 thriller to Pittsburgh.

Like I said above, collective effort more than likely. And who cares anyway? Do you feel better now digging up archives? Tex was certainly involved in the name & decision-making, as was my point.

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:41 PM
TXB: if you continue to use that sig, at least attach my name for credit. Otherwise it makes you look like you have an inferiority complex!

Take a joke man.

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by g$$
TXB: if you continue to use that sig, at least attach my name for credit. Otherwise it makes you look like you have an inferiority complex!

Take a joke man.

LOL funny you did not say it as a joke..Now your claiming it was..nice

fixed so your attached..I thought I was being nice not showing who said it

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 07:46 PM
This is what bob Ryan had to say about it...I am just posting it to give some historical reference

Bob Ryan, the Vice President and editor-in-chief of NFL Films, coined this for the Cowboys in 1979. After preparing and editing the team’s 1978 season highlight film he had to come up with a title for the film. He was quoted as saying:

"After the '78 season, the Cowboys had just lost a crushing Super Bowl to the Steelers. I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television."
Drawing upon this inspiration and that of other nationally followed sports teams, such as the New York Yankees in Major League Baseball, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in college football and the Boston Celtics in pro basketball, which Ryan said "are all America’s teams," he decided to use America’s Team as the name of the highlight film.

During the Cowboys' first game of the 1979 season, a nationally televised game against the St. Louis Cardinals (which Dallas won 22-21), the television announcer introduced the Cowboys as America’s Team and the nickname stuck.

Dallas’ Hall of Fame coach Tom Landry also did not approve of the appellation. He felt that it would give opposing teams extra incentive to play harder. Eventually he gave in and actually came to like the name.

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:53 PM
LOL funny you did not say it as a joke..Now your claiming it was..nice

fixed so your attached..I thought I was being nice not showing who said it

You don't joke well TXB. If that makes you feel better, so be it.

g$$
01-10-2007, 07:56 PM
This is what bob Ryan had to say about it...I am just posting it to give some historical reference

Bob Ryan, the Vice President and editor-in-chief of NFL Films, coined this for the Cowboys in 1979. After preparing and editing the team’s 1978 season highlight film he had to come up with a title for the film. He was quoted as saying:

"After the '78 season, the Cowboys had just lost a crushing Super Bowl to the Steelers. I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television."
Drawing upon this inspiration and that of other nationally followed sports teams, such as the New York Yankees in Major League Baseball, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in college football and the Boston Celtics in pro basketball, which Ryan said "are all America’s teams," he decided to use America’s Team as the name of the highlight film.

During the Cowboys' first game of the 1979 season, a nationally televised game against the St. Louis Cardinals (which Dallas won 22-21), the television announcer introduced the Cowboys as America’s Team and the nickname stuck.

Dallas’ Hall of Fame coach Tom Landry also did not approve of the appellation. He felt that it would give opposing teams extra incentive to play harder. Eventually he gave in and actually came to like the name.

So, in the decision process, was Tex involved? Why was he widely given credit then if he did not have a say? Like at his HOF induction, books, etc.? Collective effort more than likely.

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by g$$
So, in the decision process, was Tex involved? Why was he widely given credit then if he did not have a say? Like at his HOF induction, books, etc.? Collective effort more than likely.

Think of it in the reverse Jerry Jones..If it worked and it was for the Cowboys than Tex must have done it..Just like now..if it did not work and it was the Cowboys then it is Jerry Jones's fault..or TO

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You don't joke well TXB. If that makes you feel better, so be it.

You just dont know me..I am known for my sense of humor. I can take it and dish it..hence why I put it in my sig in the first place.

g$$
01-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Think of it in the reverse Jerry Jones..If it worked and it was for the Cowboys than Tex must have done it..Just like now..if it did not work and it was the Cowboys then it is Jerry Jones's fault..or TO

So you're implying that Tex took credit for something he had nothing to do with?

g$$
01-10-2007, 08:04 PM
You just dont know me..I am known for my sense of humor. I can take it and dish it..hence why I put it in my sig in the first place.

Nor do you know me!

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by g$$
So you're implying that Tex took credit for something he had nothing to do with?

All I have ever seen was the he took the name and used it to perfection. I have always heard it was from NFL Films and He liked it so much.

And so not to double post...

I have never claimed to know you, one of the reasons I have always stayed on topic in debates with you. I respect people until they give me reason not to respect them

g$$
01-10-2007, 08:09 PM
All I have ever seen was the he took the name and used it to perfection. I have always heard it was from NFL Films and He liked it so much.

And so not to double post...

I have never claimed to know you, one of the reasons I have always stayed on topic in debates with you. I respect people until they give me reason not to respect them

Is that a not-so-subtle shot at me TXB?

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Is that a not-so-subtle shot at me TXB?

lol no I am not good with being subtle..it was a general statement about how I like to debate a topic. Yes IMO you come across as being snobby and think your crud dont stink, but I respect your thoughts on the topics we have discussed.

pirate4state
01-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I have always been the same guy. Sorry to disappoint you!

I didn't mean literally. :doh:

You don't disappoint me. I always know what to expect from one of your posts, and I'm sure you know what to expect from mine. :D

pirate4state
01-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Let's see: Pittsburgh has a ring from last year.

Dallas = last playoff win 1996

You do the math! Who has had more recent success?

I wasn't talking about recent success. :doh: :doh:

Where is that broken record???

pirate4state
01-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I will match wits, intelligence, language skills, vocabulary, or anything else with you or others, Freddy. You may not like what I say, but don't question my intelligence. We can disagree without that garbage.

Why not? You question everyone else's. :tongue:

LitanyofFury
01-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Why not? You question everyone else's. :tongue:

Hey. . .you better back off p4s. . .he might call you out to come meet him in RL and fight....;)

pirate4state
01-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
Hey. . .you better back off p4s. . .he might call you out to come meet him in RL and fight....;) haha that would be pretty funny actually

g$$
01-11-2007, 04:35 AM
haha that would be pretty funny actually

Where the heck is "RL" Litany? Funny you say that since you are so "new" here...! I am not calling anyone out, just sharing thoughts.

TXB: if you knew me, "snobby" would not be a question. Sorry if you feel that way. I respect your opinions & hope you will continue to have spirited debate at times. We always learn something from each other.

Txbroadcaster
01-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by g$$

TXB: if you knew me, "snobby" would not be a question. Sorry if you feel that way. I respect your opinions & hope you will continue to have spirited debate at times. We always learn something from each other.

I never said I thought you was snobby, just that your come off that way. Big difference in perception and actual, and in the internet world perception can be skewed.

Oh I will always debate with you because I enjoy banter and with situations like the Cowboys I think we both can agree they will provide PLENTY of fodder for debate this off-season.

g$$
01-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Agreed, never a shortage with the 'Boys.

charlesrixey
01-15-2007, 10:02 PM
The giants have contacted and are probably going to hire some
41 year old from the patriots org. Forgot the name but if Zimmer is leaving that means Bill is staying. Zim might have been up at least for a shot at head coach or at least going back to the 4-3.
I think Bill is looking to bring a 3-4 guru in maybe. I just hope Anthony Lynn gets rehired. I would hate to lose D'anton next year because of a coaching change at the Cowboys.

A-MEN!

Lynn is a great player on both sides for us, and will be huge next year if he stays with us

g$$
01-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
A-MEN!

Lynn is a great player on both sides for us, and will be huge next year if he stays with us

Anthony Lynn is a coach now buddy...former player from Tech.

Scott Pioli from the Pats turned down the Giants. They hired from within (Reese, & not Floyd Reese!).

BILLYFRED0000
01-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Anthony Lynn is a coach now buddy...former player from Tech.

Scott Pioli from the Pats turned down the Giants. They hired from within (Reese, & not Floyd Reese!).

Talking about his son D'anton. BTW Anthony played at Celina before Tech and the NFL.

g$$
01-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Talking about his son D'anton. BTW Anthony played at Celina before Tech and the NFL.

Gotcha. I knew Anthony was from Celina but didn't know about his son. I got it now, thanks.