PDA

View Full Version : 150 HD channels

spiveyrat
01-10-2007, 09:34 AM
DirecTv is about to up the ante.

http://www.skyreport.com/#Story1

With their new capacity of two new satellites, I hope they address the problems they're having with over-compressed feeds also. :doh:

spiveyrat
01-10-2007, 09:39 AM
more news for the gamers...

http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=94772

kaorder1999
01-10-2007, 09:40 AM
i just got Direct TV...been pleased with it so far

Adidas410s
01-10-2007, 09:42 AM
wow...that's pretty impressive. Hopefully DISH will step it up in return since they have been the largest HD provider for a while.

kaorder1999
01-10-2007, 09:44 AM
we looked into both DirecTv and DISH and DirecTv blew them out of the water. The customer service for DISH was horrible.

spiveyrat
01-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Satellite on the go... Should be nice for campers.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070108006376&newsLang=en

Adidas410s
01-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
we looked into both DirecTv and DISH and DirecTv blew them out of the water. The customer service for DISH was horrible.

Have you tried using c/s for both? I had DTV for about 6 weeks and was VERY frustrated with their help...or lack their of. It took about 4 months to get a $45 activation fee removed from my account...and then I still got a call from their collections dept wanting to know why I hadn't paid that $45. The DISH customer service has served me well the few times that I've had problems with my receiver. I've had it for 9+ months now and am very satisfied with the product. To each his own though...

spiveyrat
01-10-2007, 09:57 AM
I read somewhere else that they are planning an "on-demand" section that will allow you to view missed episodes of shows.

Similar to the Sunday Ticket, they will also have a NASCAR hot pass.

Seems like too much offering in too little time. I have a feeling their customer service department is going to be in for a lot of overtime this year. :thinking:

Black & Gold
01-10-2007, 09:59 AM
I agree about Dish, I have been very impressed with their customer service. I was with Direct for about a year and didn't like dealing with them so I switched. I think it was a good decision.

kaorder1999
01-10-2007, 09:59 AM
yeah...i've had to deal with both but just Dish Network when it comes to establishing service. It was a joke.

They continued to tell me I had to pay for an HD receiver and I kept telling them I was on their site and it stated FREE HD RECEIVER....they INSISTED that I wasn't eligible because of the zip code I was in. Yet....my next door neighbor called them 5 minutes later to order service from them and she was eligible.

When I called them back they told me, well, since they gave it to your neighbor free we will give it to you half off. I laughed at them.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-10-2007, 12:19 PM
I have Suddenlink (Formerly Cox) communications and I only get like 7 HD channels, I don't even wanna hear about 150. It's all good though, I only watch Discovery HD, ESPN HD, and HBO HD anyways so it works for me I guess.:mad:

TMer25
01-10-2007, 12:21 PM
The only problem with this is there aren't a 150 national HD channels.

Adidas410s
01-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by TMer25

true...I'm wondering when your major non-sports channels (Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, History Channel, etc) will start broadcasting in HD. I know that WFAA here in Dallas just opened a new studio in Victory Park and it's equipped with high def cameras for all of their studio broadcasts. Evidently, only KC and Chicago have local news shows being broadcast in HD right now.

SintonFan
01-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I'm most likely switching to DTV. I called DISH yesterday and while they have always been polite and professional, I was shocked that there was a $200 "upgrade fee" with Dish. Shocked even more that I would still be charged a monthly service fee for the HD DVR and you don't own it. DTV has the same fee but you own the HD DVR. The monthly fee is about the same. Here I come Direct TV.
I'm loving that new Dell projector:inlove: and can't wait to get my HD channels.:(

spiveyrat
01-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by TMer25

It must be still in the works. Here's an excerpt from one of the links:
--------------------------------------------------
DIRECTV said at CES this week it will soon be able to offer 150 national and 1500 local HD channels - an announcement that will force cable companies across the country to address their coming HD inferiority.
--------------------------------------------------
All these things DirecTv is touting are improvements for this year once their satellites are up. All these improvements might not happen til November, for all I know.

Anyways, just reporting what I've seen. I'm not responsible for the content. ;)

spiveyrat
01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I'm most likely switching to DTV. I called DISH yesterday and while they have always been polite and professional, I was shocked that there was a $200 "upgrade fee" with Dish. Shocked even more that I would still be charged a monthly service fee for the HD DVR and you don't own it. DTV has the same fee but you own the HD DVR. The monthly fee is about the same. Here I come Direct TV.
I'm loving that new Dell projector:inlove: and can't wait to get my HD channels.:(

FYI, I think you now have the option to lease or buy DTV equipment.

Emerson1
01-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm sure there are more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:HD_channels

I wonder how much they will charge to get all 150 they will supposedly have

SintonFan
01-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
FYI, I think you now have the option to lease or buy DTV equipment.
I'm gonna buy their HD DVR for about 200 bucks(on special now, it's usually $300). That's what sweetens the deal for me. The Dish HD DVR is 100 hours HD or Standard TV combined and that's nice. But the Direct TV DVR is 50 hours HD or 200 STV. I like that option as I'll own the Direct TV DVR.:clap: :cool:

turbostud
01-10-2007, 10:09 PM
I had DirectTV since 98 switched to Cable and 2 months later switched back to DirectTV. Cable Sucks.

spiveyrat
01-11-2007, 10:50 AM
If you guys ever have questions about Satellite tech, I've found this to be a good forum. It's where I found a lot of the data presented in this thread.

http://www.dbsforums.com/vbulletin/